PDA

View Full Version : question (weird time for it though)

mistamikel
12-21-2009, 06:13 PM
So I got an early gift and I dont know if I can use it. I have a 5/6 fly set up and got a 4wt line as a gift... could I use it on my set up or would it not be a good idea??

fisherwoman
12-21-2009, 06:17 PM
So I got an early gift and I dont know if I can use it. I have a 5/6 fly set up and got a 4wt line as a gift... could I use it on my set up or would it not be a good idea??

What do you mean, "use it on my set up"? Like ice fishing?

mistamikel
12-21-2009, 06:19 PM
What do you mean, "use it on my set up"? Like ice fishing?
Sorry I should have been more clear, its for fly fishing. I got a 4wt floating line as a gift but my fly set (rod/reel) is a 5/6, so I was wondering if I could use the 4 wt line on my 5wt rood/reel.

fisherwoman
12-21-2009, 06:46 PM
I cant see why not. But i'm not a pro fly fisherman. Just getting into the the last two years actually.

tonyflyfish
12-21-2009, 06:52 PM
I don't think you will like the match. The 5 and 6 wt line is heavier to match the heavier (stiffer) rod. If the new line is weight forward you will get a very limp mid section. If it is double taper it will be "floppyier" than you would want. Can the line be exchanged?

t

Huntingonthebrain
12-21-2009, 06:55 PM
You can use it...but you will have a harder time casting as the weight of your line is what 'loads' or bends your rod. As the line is lighter then the rod it won't bend it like it's intended thus making it harder to cast. However if your line was a 8 weight it could break your rod if it was a 5w as the line is bending it to much.
Make sense?

So yes you can but your going to work hard all day fishing!

rustynailz
12-21-2009, 06:57 PM
It REALLY depends on the rod. Some flimsier rods cast better underlined, and I'd put a lot of package rods in that category. Also depends on how you like to cast.

Remember that line weights are based on the first 30'. You'll need more than 30' of line out to load the rod properly if you stick with the #4.

I would cast it first and see, unless you can easily exchange. All else being equal a #4 line is too light, but you might find it just fine.

Okotokian
12-21-2009, 06:57 PM
I don't think you will like the match. The 5 and 6 wt line is heavier to match the heavier (stiffer) rod. If the new line is weight forward you will get a very limp mid section. If it is double taper it will be "floppyier" than you would want. Can the line be exchanged?

t

x2 Get the right match. Exchanging an unopened fly line that was just bought shouldn't be any problem.

mistamikel
12-21-2009, 07:00 PM
Thanks for all the advice guy/gals. If I could return it I would but it came from a buddy of mine from BC so Im kinda stuck with it lol

linzzz
12-22-2009, 09:18 AM
Seems like a good reason to buy a 3/4 set up as well. Great for smaller streams. Actually I use my lighter set up as much as possible, lots of fun. If you get a 4 piece or more, they make really good rods for packing in on hikes.

tbosch
12-22-2009, 09:22 AM
Seems like a good reason to buy a 3/4 set up as well. Great for smaller streams. Actually I use my lighter set up as much as possible, lots of fun. If you get a 4 piece or more, they make really good rods for packing in on hikes.

X2. I was thinking the same thing.

diamonddave
12-22-2009, 10:57 AM
Thanks for all the advice guy/gals. If I could return it I would but it came from a buddy of mine from BC so Im kinda stuck with it lol

It is the season for giving, and i just happen to have a 3/4 that I need some good floating line for......:innocent:

fishstix
12-22-2009, 04:39 PM
You can use it without too much problem. If your new to fly fishing it wont be so bad. Idealy you would like to match the line and rod, but if your set up dosent match you'll still be able to fish..

Enjoy it!

Fishstix!!