PDA

View Full Version : Lake Whitefish

simmered
12-22-2009, 12:18 PM
I'm heading out ice fishing tomorrow will be trying to catch some lake whitefish. I've never tried fishing for these yet. Does anyone have any tips on type's of hooks and baits to try? Thanks

oagie
12-22-2009, 12:36 PM
Depends on where your going... Gull / Sylvan and Pigeon wire worms are the popular choice. People also use Wetaskawin specials. I know at McGregor these silver spoons (i forget the name) work well.

I am sure other will chime in. But personally at Gull, I use a yellow or orange wire worm.

hard_azz
12-22-2009, 12:38 PM
u deffinately wanna get a good selection of wire worm... brass and copper colored ones seem to do good but i have caught them on all kinds of colors from red to bright yello to orange.... u can also tip them with a maggot and if they start coming in then turning away from it then take the maggot off... a small one inch long jig has been known to work then they r really cruisin around and feeding aggresively.... u generally want ur presentation to be finess so that means u dont wanna be bouncing it all over the place.... they love to see the hook fall from up above and just kinna sit there maybe some very small wiggles... i think thats about all the advice i can give ya just be patient and try to watch how they react to ur presentation... good luck and tight lines!!

P.S. if ya dont mind me askin where ya gonna go try for the little mouths???

simmered
12-22-2009, 01:38 PM
heading out to little McCleod lake in Carson lake park by whitecourt. I saw a guy with a big stringer of whitefish this summer out of there. There is also some big pike in there. It should be a good trip. I think I have some wire worms in my tackle box!

jjstar
12-22-2009, 01:43 PM
We have been catching them in shallow water 5 feet or less. and some are right under the ice so try all depths. wire worms and maggots is our go to green colour of choice.

Jack-man
12-22-2009, 02:59 PM
Yes I like the copper colored ones with the red-head. Don't usually use maggots. Use really light line and hold them still. Move them only evry once and a while. Just sit in the tent and look down the hole in 4-5 ' of water or so. Maybe have a few drinks. You will also get the odd Jack come and eat the wireworm. Good luck to bring it in though, haha. Does anyone know the best way to cook these whitefish?

burbotman14
12-22-2009, 03:54 PM
Is little McLeod lake just northeast of Carson lake?

simmered
12-22-2009, 04:00 PM
yep thats the one burbotman. Have you ice fished there before?

burbotman14
12-22-2009, 04:05 PM
Nope, just Carson but I may have to give it a try. Is there any depth charts on the lake?

simmered
12-22-2009, 04:15 PM
I looked on that anglers atlas site and never saw one. I've heard its really deep though. Was there this summer and was really amazed how clear it was. It was like I was in BC!

Bassett
12-22-2009, 04:16 PM
cant wait for my trip to carson! thats the one with the little rainows right??

burbotman14
12-22-2009, 04:19 PM
Yep. So What side of the lake do you fish on or does it matter for little McLeod? Does it just half to be fairly shallow?

simmered
12-22-2009, 04:27 PM
to be honest with you I have no idea. This summer was the first time I fished there, my buddy and I went straight across the lake to a little bay in my canoe and fished right where the weeds turned into sandy bottom. Was fairly productive. Tomorrow will be the first time I've ice fished there, Im just going to look for some holes I think and give it a go.

burbotman14
12-22-2009, 08:48 PM
Let us know how it goes.

prarie_boy1
12-22-2009, 09:17 PM
I am no expert on catching whitefish the ones I have caught were just by fluke when ice fishing. However they are a wonderful tasting fish you will be hooked once you try this recipe.

1 Fresh dressed whitefish (3-4
Lb)
STUFFING:
1 1/2 c Instant rice
1/4 c Diced peeled lemon
1 ds Thyme
1 1/3 c Water
2 tb Melted butter
1/3 c Sour cream
2 tb Grated lemon rind
1 ts Salt
1 1/2 ts Salt
1 ts Paprika
3/4 c Chopped celery
1/4 c Butter
1/2 c Chopped onion

PREPARATION
Sprinkle fish inside out with salt. To prepare stuffing: In skillet melt butter; add celery & onion, saute until tender. Add water, lemon rind, salt, paprika & thyme; bring to boil. Add rice & stir to moisten. Cover & remove from heat. Let stand 5-10 minutes, until liquid is absorbed. Add sour cream & lemon; mix lightly. Stuff cavity of fish loosely with dressing; tie securely with string. Place in buttered shallow baking dish & brush with melted butter. Place extra stuffing in baking dish. Bake in 350 for 40-60 minutes. Baste occasionally with butter. Serve extra dressing with fish

fishunter77
12-22-2009, 09:25 PM
I am no expert on catching whitefish the ones I have caught were just by fluke when ice fishing. However they are a wonderful tasting fish you will be hooked once you try this recipe.

1 Fresh dressed whitefish (3-4
Lb)
STUFFING:
1 1/2 c Instant rice
1/4 c Diced peeled lemon
1 ds Thyme
1 1/3 c Water
2 tb Melted butter
1/3 c Sour cream
2 tb Grated lemon rind
1 ts Salt
1 1/2 ts Salt
1 ts Paprika
3/4 c Chopped celery
1/4 c Butter
1/2 c Chopped onion

PREPARATION
Sprinkle fish inside out with salt. To prepare stuffing: In skillet melt butter; add celery & onion, saute until tender. Add water, lemon rind, salt, paprika & thyme; bring to boil. Add rice & stir to moisten. Cover & remove from heat. Let stand 5-10 minutes, until liquid is absorbed. Add sour cream & lemon; mix lightly. Stuff cavity of fish loosely with dressing; tie securely with string. Place in buttered shallow baking dish & brush with melted butter. Place extra stuffing in baking dish. Bake in 350 for 40-60 minutes. Baste occasionally with butter. Serve extra dressing with fish

Sounds like a great recipe. I will have to try it.:) Whites are probably one of the best fish to smoke.

Good luck.

simmered
12-23-2009, 06:36 PM
well we fished for four hours and not a single nibble:( We moved all around and tried many different places. By the boat launch. Deep water (about 25ft) shallow water (6-5ft) and nothing. Has anybody ice fished here and would be willing to give some tips?

pecker
12-23-2009, 06:58 PM
Yes I like the copper colored ones with the red-head. Don't usually use maggots. Use really light line and hold them still. Move them only evry once and a while. Just sit in the tent and look down the hole in 4-5 ' of water or so. Maybe have a few drinks. You will also get the odd Jack come and eat the wireworm. Good luck to bring it in though, haha. Does anyone know the best way to cook these whitefish?

a little tip - with a good tight knot on your wireworm , turn it so it's 90 degrees to your line . they suck it in a lot easier than if it's straight down.;)if you do catch a jack on a wireworm and you're sight fishing - as has happened to me , be prepaired to cut more holes and move the shack.can't see for clouds & slime. :):wave:

fishunter77
12-23-2009, 11:41 PM
Never tried the lake you went to. I didn't know it had fish in it. Did you get to try Carson for some trout at least?

simmered
12-24-2009, 12:56 PM
Nope never did get over there for some trout.

addicted
01-01-2010, 07:30 PM
has anyone had any luck here me and my mrs are heading out tomorrow maybe to give it ago any info would be appreciated

Paul C
01-01-2010, 07:39 PM
I'm heading out ice fishing tomorrow will be trying to catch some lake whitefish. I've never tried fishing for these yet. Does anyone have any tips on type's of hooks and baits to try? Thanks Try bouncing the bottom with the wire worm and jig slow from bottom of ice to lake bottom. Check this photo out.
Happy Fishin:D