PDA

View Full Version : Ideal presentation at this time of year?

jpietrzak1979
12-23-2009, 12:01 AM
Hey, I haven't had alot of luck with ice fishing and generally self teaching aside from what I read on here. Wondering what is the best way to fish this time of year (particularily pike/walleye/burbot) in so far as depth and mobility. Is it best to sit your bait right on the bottom? Or is it better to guage it for middle height? How deep are they usually? Jig em around or just let em sit?
Also wondering how it is on Jackfish lake near edmonton, I assume with all the massive cold we've had the ice is good and plenty thick.
Thanks!
Jay
(BTW Merry Christmas to all)

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
12-23-2009, 12:21 AM
I'm not sure if you've read other threads regarding the ice . There's lots but its not the best quality ice . That fast quick major cold snap made the ice anywhere from 6 inches to 14 inches thick . Be Very careful at Jackfish lake with all the springs in that water causing moving water so the Ice will be different even yet. I had a buddy go threw the ice there 2 years ago . Luckily hes trained on dealing with water rescue , so was able to get out .

As for presentation . I like the Tip up about 6 to 14 inches off bottom ( The strike zone ) and I also like to use a rod to jig . That way you have the best of both worlds . Using anchovies on a tip up work great with a Treble hook and a stinger hook off the Treble hook . And then a spoon with a few Maggots .