PDA

View Full Version : synthetic 2 stroke in augers

thorne
12-24-2009, 04:50 PM
just want to share a little experiment. I have an evinrude E-tec outboard running 100/1 synthetic oil normally used for sub zero operation, (or if you are like me and just want to fill the resevoir once a year) anyway, I mixed the stuff at 60/1 (just to be on the safe side) and have been running it in my 2 h/p jiffy stealth with an 8" screw....this thing is amazing, its like I threw on a supercharger, not to mention the huge reduction in smoke exhaust, and best of all....started in -40 everytime with just a few pulls. Have burned a tank so far with no ill effects, just lots of plus's. Just wondering if anyone else has burned synthetic and how it worked out??

crudedude
12-24-2009, 05:43 PM
I just got my auger out today a Strikemaster Lazer Mag Express.Cleaned it all up checked the plug mixed a batch of Amsoil Synethic 80:1.Took Four pulls and away she went.After she warmed up and idled for bit I took her up to full throttle and yes there is a huge differnce power.This auger is three years old and ran on conventional oil till now the auger always started good in warm weather but in the cold took a few more pulls.:)

HILLYBILLYBARRY
12-24-2009, 05:52 PM
I just got an eskimo stingray 8" im gonna try tyhat rite off the hop go out get soem synitic oil read up see what my mix is sapouse to be just open the box!

thorne
12-24-2009, 05:52 PM
Cool I am not the only guy running syn. then....I hope a few more people give some input...my auger was new last year...run good, but no comparrison with the synthetic...i feel like i have found the holy grail! I can't belive no one has recommended this befor. have been doing alot of online reasearch and seems like it is starting to catch on...for anyone who isn't, it is definately worth a look at!

HILLYBILLYBARRY
12-24-2009, 05:54 PM
well im hooked. All my truck have synitic in them and work great so i will put it in my new augar too

GummyMonster
12-24-2009, 06:20 PM
we used synthetic on the farm in various applications from 400 horse tractors ,to vehicles ,sleds, to auger and saw engines. Always helped performance.
Only problem I can remember was in an ancient auger motor we had that started to leak everywhere after we introduced synthetic.Musta cleaned out the crap that was against the old seals.
Good Luck

rustynailz
12-24-2009, 07:15 PM
I run synthetic snowmobile oil in my Lazer Mag Express...it runs like a top.

Started on the third pull after being kept in the garage since March. Only way to go!

Mudslide
12-24-2009, 07:50 PM
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atp.aspx

This is definitely the stuff to get. Awesome stuff!

needmoretoys
12-24-2009, 08:26 PM
I have used the Opti for a few of years now and the jiffy oil has been synthetic for a couple years now. Stuff is great and it has fuel stabilizer in it.

kinwahkly
12-24-2009, 08:32 PM
I have an older Jiffy 30, it says to run 24:1 ratio, and to not use synthetic in it, can I run a synthetic in it?

needmoretoys
12-24-2009, 09:02 PM
I have the same Jiffy 30. I have had no problem and why would Jiffy change to synthetic if it was bad. If you talk to most small engine guys, they will recommend the synthetic.

deanmc
12-24-2009, 09:07 PM
I have an older Jiffy 30, it says to run 24:1 ratio, and to not use synthetic in it, can I run a synthetic in it?

I do and have for three winters now with no problem.

I have used the Opti for a few of years now and the jiffy oil has been synthetic for a couple years now. Stuff is great and it has fuel stabilizer in it.

X2

HILLYBILLYBARRY
12-24-2009, 11:01 PM
i cant find anywhere in my owners manul about synithic oil just reg eskimo oil and sugestions. should i break it in with the oil they say to use for warranty issues?

loopyalcsel
12-24-2009, 11:04 PM
just want to share a little experiment. I have an evinrude E-tec outboard running 100/1 synthetic oil normally used for sub zero operation, (or if you are like me and just want to fill the resevoir once a year) anyway, I mixed the stuff at 60/1 (just to be on the safe side) and have been running it in my 2 h/p jiffy stealth with an 8" screw....this thing is amazing, its like I threw on a supercharger, not to mention the huge reduction in smoke exhaust, and best of all....started in -40 everytime with just a few pulls. Have burned a tank so far with no ill effects, just lots of plus's. Just wondering if anyone else has burned synthetic and how it worked out??

Mind sharing what brand of synthetic you are using? I have the same auger except with a 10" screw and have had no problems with the Jiffy oil w/stabilizer. I wouldn't mind to give your experiment a try as it sounds like you're getting more performance outta the 2hp. Could really use it later in the season when the ice is thicker and I have to drill holes at Badger Rez. for my buddies with Eskimo augers. LOL

deanmc
i cant find anywhere in my owners manul about synithic oil just reg eskimo oil and sugestions. should i break it in with the oil they say to use for warranty issues?

I never in my Jiffy. Ran Opti after the 10th hole drilled. But you may want to send an e-mail off to Eskimo to be safe.

info@ardisam.com

WayneChristie

wouldnt that be Inuit oil? and how many Inuits do you have to squeeze to get enough oil? :D

HILLYBILLYBARRY
12-24-2009, 11:11 PM
wouldnt that be Inuit oil? and how many Inuits do you have to squeeze to get enough oil? :D

Well now never thought of it that way you do have a good point? ill sleep on that one tonite

deanmc
12-24-2009, 11:11 PM
Mind sharing what brand of synthetic you are using? I have the same auger except with a 10" screw and have had no problems with the Jiffy oil w/stabilizer. I wouldn't mind to give your experiment a try as it sounds like you're getting more performance outta the 2hp. Could really use it later in the season when the ice is thicker and I have to drill holes at Badger Rez. for my buddies with Eskimo augers. LOL

I use the opti lube mixed according to bottle is 84-1 I think. Jiffy model 30 three years old .

HILLYBILLYBARRY
12-24-2009, 11:13 PM
what motors are on the old augars?

loopyalcsel
12-24-2009, 11:14 PM
U getting the same results as "thorne
'?

deanmc
12-24-2009, 11:23 PM
what motors are on the old augars?

Tecumseh 3hp

U getting the same results as "thorne
'?

Not exactly. Mine runs much better with the synthetic but I would not say it is Supercharged. The carbs on the later Tecumseh are junk. The needle -diaphragm height is not adjustable. I intend to find a carb that has an adjustment and replace mine. many other people have the same prob.

The opti lube made enough difference in performance I now use it in all my two strokes and I believe they all run noticeably better.

4D7
12-25-2009, 02:39 AM
Synthetic is the way to go, also with premium gas. I was using some crappy tire 2 stroke with regular gas last year and it sucked. Like mentioned above it really was like putting a super charger on your auger.

unclebuck
12-25-2009, 05:42 AM
I've been using Opti-2 at 100:1 with premium gasoline in my Nils Master auger, Husky power saw & Husky weedeater for 15 years at least. All of them run well, with no smoke or oil puking from the muffler. Best part is, 1 fuel can for everything. Pretty hard for anyone to screw up on fuelling up any of the engines with the wrong blend!!

jusfloatin
12-25-2009, 08:13 AM
Synthetic oils are a definate plus but should never be used until you have burned a couple of tanks of fuel.

The rings will not seat properly because of the reduced friction properties of synthetic oils.

splake0
12-25-2009, 08:23 AM
I've been running Amsoil professional 100:1 for two years now. I use it in Chainsaws; weed eater and ice auger. When I emailed Amsoil I asked

"I just bought a Jiffy 2 stroke ice auger. It calls for 40:1 fuel/oil mixture. If I use amsoil professional 100:1, do I mix it 100;1 or 40:1"?

They responded

"AMSOIL Saber Professional can be used at the 100:1 mix ratio, regardless of the OEM recommended mix ratio. This is one of the advantages of this product. You don’t need a different gas can for each different OEM mix ratio. One can serves all pre mixed engines."

Hope this helps

HILLYBILLYBARRY
12-25-2009, 09:08 AM
this new augar has a viper engine 33 cc

thorne
12-25-2009, 12:15 PM
awsome responce guys thanks...really good to know I am not the only one, and that my auger is not going to blow up! I used a 6 inch leg last year with crappy tire 2 stroke at 40:1. This year I am running an 8 inch leg with 100:1 synthetic and it drills noticeable faster and steadier even with the 2 inch diameter increse, and that seems to be the common factor according to these other posts...time to sperad the word, synthetic is definately the way to go!

jjstar
12-25-2009, 03:39 PM
Only issue is on very old engines the gaskets materials are not able to withstand the acidic affect of the synthetic. That is why old engines start to leak with the addition of the Synthetic oil these older engines just need new gaskets. In the end I am getting a power auger and will be running synthetic by the sounds of it thanks for the info.

bintherdonthat
12-26-2009, 09:15 AM
where is the best place to buy this OPTI oil

deanmc
12-26-2009, 07:12 PM
where is the best place to buy this OPTI oil

I dont know were you are. I buy mine from Conrad's in Whitecourt.