PDA

View Full Version : Chain Lake?

GrtWht
12-26-2009, 09:08 AM
Has anyone been to Chain lakes(the ones down past longview)? What are the ice conditions like? Any Fish? Want to take the kids down today or tomorrow.

Thanks

pondstomper
12-26-2009, 12:31 PM
I was there last saturday, 10 to 12 inches of ice, probably more now. Between 4 guys and my kid we caught 21 rainbows, and I caught a 9 inch bull trout. (3rd one ever out of chain lakes). Chain was fishing slow last weekend, but now with warmer weather it should be like shooting fish in a barrel. Scrappy fighters for such small fish. Love it! Good luck to you if you go to chain.

aulrich
12-28-2009, 09:25 AM
I was out yesterday (dec 27) a solid 15 inches of ice, but not a single bite.

Fishing the north end by the dam got out about 1 PM, using magots. very unusual for that spot, usually produces well.

whitetailhntr
12-30-2009, 05:56 PM
Any updates on Chain lakes?? Was thinkin of heading out there on friday. What kind of lures and bait should a guy use? Haven't been there in years...

oagie
12-30-2009, 06:04 PM
I have always done well with cheese. Rig up for a shy bite.

Albertadiver
12-30-2009, 06:10 PM
Can a person drive onto chain? People have shacks out there?

For trout, do they go after the same as say a perch rig?

I'm headed to Pine Lake tommorrow to go for Pike and Perch, because that's a lake I know well.

Would like to try for trout on Chain though.

whitetailhntr
12-30-2009, 06:14 PM
"Shy bite"??? How does one rig up for that??:confused:

hit1987
12-30-2009, 07:44 PM
Can a person drive onto chain? People have shacks out there?

For trout, do they go after the same as say a perch rig?

I'm headed to Pine Lake tommorrow to go for Pike and Perch, because that's a lake I know well.

Would like to try for trout on Chain though.

I went to Chain today with two buddies. Ice is about 18 inch everywhere I drilled. Caught a dozen of 10 inch rainbow and 9 suckers.

We drove compact SUVs and safe & sound.

Enjoy and be safe

Albertadiver
12-30-2009, 07:48 PM
We were on Pine last week with 13" with my dakota.

What does a guy use for Trout through the Ice? I've always used spinners in the summer, but never caught Trout in winter.

oagie
12-30-2009, 09:14 PM
"Shy bite"??? How does one rig up for that??:confused:

I use these little bobbers that is about the same buoyancy as my jig and bait. I found that any resistance these trout drop the bait. With this set up, they pull under real easy and then I hand line them in.

nicemustang
12-30-2009, 09:23 PM
Small jig heads and tipped with shrimp (cooked), cheese or worms. Or a small flashy spoon works too. 18-22 FOW at chain, just out from the day use area parking lot.