PDA

View Full Version : Burnstick Lake report

kaleh01
12-27-2009, 11:54 AM
Went out on Burnstick yesterday with my ol man, we brought the trailer and the Ranger 6x6 cause we figured the ice may not quite be ready for the truck yet. We parked at the east end day use launch but found that it hadn't been plowed out yet so had to unload on the road. Hit numerous patches of slush and water about 6" deep all over the lake but never got stuck luckily. Caught tons of perch but never got one up the hole larger than 6". I also got two pike in the 1-3 lb range. Fished all over the main basin out from the east lauch, caught perch everywhere it was deeper than about 15 ft according to the vexilar. Going to try again as soon as I get my replacement cable for my Aqua-Vu camera. It's so hard to know if your wasting your time on little perch without being able to see down in the deep water. Look forward to going back soon, it's good to get out and the weather was great.

pondstomper
12-27-2009, 01:59 PM
How thick was the ice? Its hard to find the spots where the big perch are in that lake. Usually when you find em, they leave, or the pike and walleye move in. I have seen on the underwater camera a pike burrying itself (like a flounder) in the mud under my hole waiting for the perch to come back. Has anyone else seen this type of behavior with pike?

kaleh01
12-29-2009, 08:05 PM
Ice was about 8" of good clear ice with an average of 2" of slush and weak ice everywhere on top.

denpacc
12-29-2009, 08:46 PM
Only 8" of good ice? Just went out to Ghost Reservoir and the ice was 16 inches. Thought Burnstick would have had thicker ice. Any trucks/cars on the ice at Burnstick?

Cheers

WayneChristie
12-29-2009, 08:51 PM
There seems to be a huge variance in ice thickness, down here as well. One reservoir I fished this week had 2 feet of ice, yet another one maybe 40 miles away had only 8 inches of ice. Certainly pays to be cautious and check before you drive on .

sheepguide
12-29-2009, 08:53 PM
Was a Phyllis Lake today and there is a good 12" of ice and have been a few trucks out on the lake there. Lakes have had two layers of ice and water in between but the water has frozen some what in the middle. I think id wait a bit to drive on the lakes in our area!

sheepguide
12-29-2009, 08:56 PM
There seems to be a huge variance in ice thickness, down here as well. One reservoir I fished this week had 2 feet of ice, yet another one maybe 40 miles away had only 8 inches of ice. Certainly pays to be cautious and check before you drive on .

I know in our area this is lots of time caused by snow conditions. If the snow gets blown off the lake during cold weather the ice is alot deeper but on the lakes out of the wind that have snow to insulate them the ice is alot shallower. Just an observation from our lakes around Caroline.
SG

WkndWarrior
12-29-2009, 09:36 PM
Went out on Burnstick yesterday with my ol man, we brought the trailer and the Ranger 6x6 cause we figured the ice may not quite be ready for the truck yet. We parked at the east end day use launch but found that it hadn't been plowed out yet so had to unload on the road. Hit numerous patches of slush and water about 6" deep all over the lake but never got stuck luckily. Caught tons of perch but never got one up the hole larger than 6". I also got two pike in the 1-3 lb range. Fished all over the main basin out from the east lauch, caught perch everywhere it was deeper than about 15 ft according to the vexilar. Going to try again as soon as I get my replacement cable for my Aqua-Vu camera. It's so hard to know if your wasting your time on little perch without being able to see down in the deep water. Look forward to going back soon, it's good to get out and the weather was great.

ahh the all to common Alberta ice fishing report. You could probably attach 80% percent of the lake names in Alberta to a day like this.