PDA

View Full Version : Garage Sale Find

grant
12-27-2009, 11:02 PM
Hey Folks,
Stopped at a garage sale today and found this fish finder. I ended up getting it for free so hopefully I got a good deal...lol.

It is a Lowrance X4. Im guessing at least 15-20 years old. It still works and it also came with 2 tranducers.

Basically my question is:

Does anyone have any experience with this model or something of similar age?

Will this be useful to try to use for ice fishing?

How would i position the transducers in the water?

Thanks for the help.

http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq125/grantovsky/recent005.jpg

http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq125/grantovsky/recent008.jpg

http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq125/grantovsky/recent004.jpg

pondstomper
12-27-2009, 11:54 PM
Wow, thats old. Judging by the transducers, they are attachments for your boat. But the round one there might be able to be jerry rigged for getting a signal to the bottom. Just remember you would have to get it down to be level with the bottom of the ice to get a proper signal.

garf
12-28-2009, 12:11 AM
I still have a similar one to that, not used for 10 yrs since selling the boat. I initially used the round one for shooting through the fiberglass hull but it would not work at planing speeds over 20 mph. Then bought the v-nosed unit for transom mounting, was an improvement but still never worked at 40mph either. Never tried either for ice fishing.
Talking about oldies, I even have the old orange circular flasher style we bought 25 years ago for my Dad when they first came out.

bubba 96
12-28-2009, 05:51 AM
I have the same one, I made a t out of some conduit i had at work threaded the ends so i could take it apart for my fishing sled mounted the transducer on the bottom of the t and it works like a charm...I like it it will show drop offs and the alarm goes off when fish swim by, if your in calgary go to BnE electric and grab a 12v batt and charger, and fish on...Bubba

oagie
12-28-2009, 06:56 AM
Build a portable box for it what will carry the fish finder, cables and battery. It will make it much simpler. I used a peice of foamy zap straped to the cable to float the transducer.

The other nice thing about this type ice fishing is you can shoot through the ice before you drill to check to see how deep you are. Just put a little water on the ice.

I will post pictures of mine later today.

grant
12-28-2009, 08:01 AM
Thanks for the help. I cant wait to get this thing out there.

Paul C
12-28-2009, 10:29 AM
This is what I did to scan the ice away from the hole. It works well for fishing close to shore.:D
Happy Fishin

oagie
12-28-2009, 04:43 PM
This is the portable box I created for my fish finder. There is a compartment in the back to hold the battery and the area underneath hold all the spare cable.

As for the transducer, I just use this foam to float it because I can clip it off and use the unit in the summer. The transducer is a portable one where you can connect a bracket with a suction cup to connect to a transom of a boat.

As for the Fish finder, its extremely handy. I can set the sensitivity where I can track a small jig. And I mentioned before, I can check the depth before I drill, if I am trying to find a shelf or something.

Paul C
12-28-2009, 04:56 PM
:DNice job on that project