PDA

View Full Version : Lake Newell

GrtWht
12-28-2009, 09:25 AM
Manage to get some of the walleye tags in the draw this year for lake Newell. I have never fished this lake before and was wondering if anyone could give me a few hints for ice fishing it.

Thanks

rustynailz
12-28-2009, 10:40 AM
The site for the derby has a decent map showing the popular spots:
http://www.canadian-fish-and-fishing-tackle.com/images/Lake_Newell_Ice_Fishing_Derby_2009.jpg
I usually just fish near the shacks set up in those spots - most guys who fish there are locals and know the lake really well. There are a few shacks I keep a special eye out for. :)

I've had some great days there fishing 6'-18' of water with large baits under flags, but have to admit that I have never caught a walleye there. We tried it on Saturday and had a decent pike day. We moved into Kinbrook at 4pm and set up in 18' of water jigging but didn't pick up any walleyes.

I have the Class A tags as well and would love to get pointed in the right direction, even just in terms of depth and bottom structure.

WayneChristie
12-28-2009, 10:06 PM
thanks for posting that map rusty, gives me some spots to try, especially as Im only 20 minutes from there :D

CountryRoadz
12-28-2009, 10:09 PM
When is the Derby and is it just for Walleye?

Sounds like this is the lake to go to in Southern AB for some decent size fish.

CR

WayneChristie
12-28-2009, 10:30 PM
no fish in there :evilgrin:

sportster
12-29-2009, 11:45 AM
When is the Derby and is it just for Walleye?

Sounds like this is the lake to go to in Southern AB for some decent size fish.

CR

i believe it is just for pike as there is a no limit on walleye unless you have tags. that is how it has been in the past but could change who knows

jts1
12-29-2009, 11:49 AM
Mine and my wifes tags are for here as well. I have never fished the lake so am a little lost. Will just try to tag along with someone I guess and get a little info

pondstomper
12-29-2009, 03:18 PM
I love fishing newell. I do know some spots, for large pike, and some very large eyes. Newell Rocks.