PDA

View Full Version : Burbot question

lone wolf
12-29-2009, 06:45 PM
I noticed in the Atlas of Alberta Lakes (http://alberta-lakes.sunsite.ualberta.ca/) that there were reported to be burbot in Lake Newell. Have any forum members ever had luck catching them in Newell ? Are there any lakes in the south/south east that have a viable (fishable) population of burbs ?

WayneChristie
12-29-2009, 07:20 PM
I will let you know later this week :D All the reservoirs are fed from the same system so if they are in one they should be in all of them Im sure. Ive found species of fish that arent listed in the regs in bodies of water since they follow the canal system from the river.... I dont see burbot listed, but do see 3 kinds of trout, havent heard of them being caught tho.

madatter
12-29-2009, 07:27 PM
I noticed in the Atlas of Alberta Lakes (http://alberta-lakes.sunsite.ualberta.ca/) that there were reported to be burbot in Lake Newell. Have any forum members ever had luck catching them in Newell ? Are there any lakes in the south/south east that have a viable (fishable) population of burbs ?

Theres only one lake in the Med Hat area that I have caught burbs multiple times and that`s 40 Mile.
I have never actually targetted them just accidentally caught them.
I`ve caught the occasional one in other lakes(Rattlesnake) and they have to be in all the irrigation lakes just not in great numbers....

madatter
12-29-2009, 07:28 PM
I will let you know later this week :D All the reservoirs are fed from the same system so if they are in one they should be in all of them Im sure. Ive found species of fish that arent listed in the regs in bodies of water since they follow the canal system from the river.... I dont see burbot listed, but do see 3 kinds of trout, havent heard of them being caught tho.

I`ve caught rainbow at Newell inlet but never a trout anywhere else...;

tchow
12-29-2009, 07:59 PM
Crawling Valley Reservoir has a good population of Burbs

pondstomper
12-29-2009, 08:15 PM
Travers reservoir is good for burbs too. Same with Little Bow Reservoir(too bad its under construction right now). Bassano Dam too.

theduke
12-30-2009, 01:31 AM
Crawling Valley Reservoir has a good population of Burbs

big ones too