PDA

View Full Version : Cross Lake

lilsundance
07-27-2007, 11:28 PM
Spent 9 wonderful relaxing days at Cross Lake Provincial Park. Weather was great and I got a lot of use out of the new boat n motor. Fishing was great although not a lot of keepers. First one I caught was a nice 26 1/2 Northern Pike. Put him on the fish chain and let him back into the water over the side of the boat. Be damned if he didn't give a couple flips and was gone. The hook opened on the fish chain and he was gone. :mad2: To make matter worse he was the only keeper I caught. Lots in the 20-24" range though. My daughter got a nice one I estimate to be about 27-28inches. But when my son was getting the measuring tape out he flipped himself right out of my hands onto the seat and out of the boat. Was my daughter ever mad.:mad2: So my wife and my son managed to catch (and keep) 2 keepers each.
We went up Wed morning and while launching the boat I saw a dead sucker by the boat launch. Wasn't til saturday that the water really calmed down and thats when we started seeing lots of dead fish everywhere. Suckers,pike and perch. Talked to the park wardens and they said they thought the summer die off had finished. They think the lake has low oxygen levels. But when I told them of the suckers they said it can't be that. Tuesday saw the biologists and Fish and Wildlife out taking samples of water and patroling the lake. Park Wardens told us not to eat anymore fish til they find out what is killing the fish. Toxicology tests were done but no results have been returned yet. They told us that the Perch fishery in Cross has been Decimated and probably set back 2-3 years.
Other than that it was a great time spent with family. Very relaxing.