PDA

View Full Version : Pigeon today

ecsuplander
12-30-2009, 06:57 PM
Super slow today. Did not see anyone catch a thing. Between 3 of us we saw 2 whitefish. I was really hoping to hit some walleye as I received my tage this week, but no such luck. Has anyone had success ice fishing pigeon for walleye? If so how does one go about catching them.

gube
12-30-2009, 08:47 PM
Was out there yesterday, and not a single bite. Nothing showed up in the camera either.

Safety D
12-30-2009, 10:05 PM
Pigeon's DEAD!!

DaveFish
12-30-2009, 10:31 PM
we were on the lake 2 days ago, caught 2 walleye(too big for our tags tho...) and the guys beside us caught a 8pound jack.

seahawkfisher
12-30-2009, 10:50 PM
looks like the limited harvest has wiped out the fishery... definitely no more whites left there... the walleye are all but history... i suggest everyone to go elsewhere................

fluxcore
12-30-2009, 11:01 PM
looks like the limited harvest has wiped out the fishery... definitely no more whites left there... the walleye are all but history... i suggest everyone to go elsewhere................

:lol: a million or so wallies caught and taged in a few months.......the bigger question is where are they hanging out:rolleyes: Im sure a few people know and they arnt saying. I wish you guys luck filling out you tags keep at it, all we need is more skinny walleye in there. Not suprized about the whites though are they still netting?

seahawkfisher
12-30-2009, 11:17 PM
tongue was fermly ensconced in cheek on my previous comment
cheers

fluxcore
12-30-2009, 11:18 PM
tongue was fermly ensconced in cheek on my previous comment
cheers

I could tell:lol:

Wulfespirit
12-30-2009, 11:48 PM
I'm curious about fluxcore's question. After the summerkill of whites, are there still good numbers of them around on Pigeon? Not looking for any locations just broad answers will do.

Penner
12-31-2009, 08:05 AM
I'm curious about fluxcore's question. After the summerkill of whites, are there still good numbers of them around on Pigeon? Not looking for any locations just broad answers will do.

I did well last week catching 6 and losing many more. Was going to go out this week but the only thing I caught was a nasty cold.

Plently of Whites still around.

Troutfinger
12-31-2009, 09:01 AM
fished Pigeon dec 26th, 27 and the 28th, bloody dismal fishing, saw a dozen whites (missed 4 hits), a burb, 3 wallys and a pike (didn't even hook a fish in 3 days)... been fishing that lake for at least 15 years and the last 3-4 years that lake has gone "tit's up" in my opinion, it will be a long, long time before I go back.
Cheers,
TF

Wulfespirit
12-31-2009, 10:16 AM
fished Pigeon dec 26th, 27 and the 28th, bloody dismal fishing, saw a dozen whites (missed 4 hits), a burb, 3 wallys and a pike (didn't even hook a fish in 3 days)... been fishing that lake for at least 15 years and the last 3-4 years that lake has gone "tit's up" in my opinion, it will be a long, long time before I go back.
Cheers,
TF

There's a bazillion walleyes in there - you weren't in the right place.

As for pike and whites.. they might very well be there in less numbers than you remember.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
12-31-2009, 03:47 PM
the bigger question is where are they hanging out:?

Thats more like the better question , gotta move around guys , If your not catching anything at anyone place for more then an hour Time to move . My buddy was out there Friday caught a nice 12 pounder Pike . Had a few more smaller , and countless walleyes . Just gotta move around . Provincial park side doesnt seem to hold the fish in winter as well as in the summer . You'll get on the odd ones but not in any great numbers . There out there guys just gotta move around .

pickrel pat
12-31-2009, 04:46 PM
was out fishing, caught over 100 walleye between 3 of us using jig and minnow......... five years ago!:lol:

Rockymtnx
12-31-2009, 06:36 PM
was out fishing, caught over 100 walleye between 3 of us using jig and minnow......... five years ago!:lol:

Thats a common event for me in the summer. Even these days.
Best day me and two buddies had was 6:00am - 12:00pm, 383 walleye, and 3 pike.

nicemustang
12-31-2009, 09:00 PM
Yes I know where they are too, just too far to drive expect for a few times a year. Someone let me know when the ice is good to drive on.

Troutfinger
01-01-2010, 01:31 AM
we drove in on grandview and golden days... 12 inch ice a few days ago. Ya wasn't interested in eyes I can't keep, was looking for whites and there sure aren't many left in there sadly....
TF

DuckBrat
01-01-2010, 02:09 AM
Let's hope we see a full catch and release on Pike and Burbot in Pigeon. The cottage situation has killed off most of the Pike spawning habitat in that lake. Release your pike and Burbot, each one is very important to the health of the lake.

01-01-2010, 02:18 AM
Let's hope we see a full catch and release on Pike and Burbot in Pigeon. The cottage situation has killed off most of the Pike spawning habitat in that lake. Release your pike and Burbot, each one is very important to the health of the lake.

The government needs to step up , they need to stop being the problem for a change. They need to lay the smack down on these Cottage owners and need to redevelop the weed beds , where fish Spawn . There is minimal for these fish to do that . I dont know what there problem or thinking is . Seems to me 1000's of Catch and release walleye or the odd guy with a tag , seems like a real attractant . They dont seem to give two S***TS about the other species . Ive almost given up might be time to move to Manitoba or Saskatchewan where there's much better fishing opportunity . Ive tried making my opinion heard . Ive gone to the public meetings Both sessions when they were put on by SRD Also I know that a few other members from here did the same . We all asked questions and Commented to the bogus crap there feeding us . I'm a firm believer in that the government would sooner worry about there trout and Stocked Walleye populations because thats what " ATTRACTS " people to our province who wanna fish .:scared::scared::scared::scared:

whitetailman
01-01-2010, 04:13 PM
i have fished pigeon for years and always have good luck....yes somedoays are bad and the fishing sucks but its all about location and the moins and all that.....i go there and catch many pike that are averging 16 pounds.... and see many whites go by the camera

catnthehat
01-01-2010, 04:41 PM
There's a bazillion walleyes in there - you weren't in the right place.

As for pike and whites.. they might very well be there in less numbers than you remember.

Not to hijack, but I have a question .
is a bazilllion 10 gazillions, or 10 jazillions??:confused::D
Cat

ecsuplander
01-01-2010, 10:28 PM
What are you searching for when you say you have to know where to find them? Are you searching for the right depth or some other structure? Not looking for your hot spots just some assistance on locating some walleye. I know the lake has alot of them in it but I am a bit of an ice fishing neophyte and woouldlike to have some more success.

Wulfespirit
01-01-2010, 10:34 PM
Not to hijack, but I have a question .
is a bazilllion 10 gazillions, or 10 jazillions??:confused::D
Cat

Yes. :cool:

Fischeuerman
01-01-2010, 11:01 PM
so the big question is where are the eyes and whites and pike at today?
:rolleye2:

ecsuplander
01-01-2010, 11:07 PM
Noone seems to be offering up any help. Should I be purchasing a hydrographic map? Is the only place to get these at maptown in Edm?

01-01-2010, 11:34 PM
Another thing I forgot to mention , That big White yellowish thing that comes out about 4:45 pm and goes to sleep at about 815 am Is a big factor . Lights that water up like a beacon . The fish are feeding at night when there is a full moon . I'm a firm believer in staying home or night fishing at these times of the month. :lol::lol::lol:

Noone seems to be offering up any help. Should I be purchasing a hydrographic map? Is the only place to get these at maptown in Edm?

Would be a good start Also you can print a copy off Anglers Atlas . as well as other places . Just go and google Hydro maps for Alberta .