PDA

View Full Version : Proximity of Perch rigs to Pike tip-ups?

Albertadiver
12-30-2009, 07:01 PM
I'm planning on going to Pine Lake tommorrow. I was out there last week, and were there most of the day, we landed 1 walley and several perch.

I've been ice fishing on Gull and Pine, never been elsewhere. Would like to explore more, but just seem to like going back to Pine even though the perch aren't what they used to be.

Ice was 13" by the way, just off of Sandy Cove.

My question is, what is everyone's experiance with respect to the proximity of a pike tip-up rig (smelt on a treble hook) to a perch rig (jig with a maggot on it)?

I have a 4 hole tent, with the holes about 2' apart from each other. Last week I was catching perch, while no action whatsoever on the tip-up adjacent.

My theory is that if pike are in the area, than perch won't be there. And if perch are there, they don't seem to mind the smelt close to the jig I'm using.

Also toying around with maybe going to Chain lakes south for Trout. Never been there.

Here's my setup, maybe see you out there?

http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr214/albertadiver/truck.jpg

http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr214/albertadiver/IMG_3729.jpg

http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr214/albertadiver/IMG_3758.jpg

ghostguy6
12-30-2009, 08:19 PM
The only experince I have with perch and pike is when the pike are around the perch are gone. Perch like cover so I think your best bet would be to find some cover and set your perch rig over it and set your pike tip up about 25 meters away (regs say 30 meters max). I always have a rod set up with a pike rig close by for when the perch suddenly dissapear.

Albertadiver
12-30-2009, 08:22 PM
Forgot to mention that I play with depths a little too.

For Perch, I usually put my jig about 14" off the bottom. Then I have Pike smelts about 2'-3' off bottom.

DuckBrat
12-30-2009, 08:23 PM
I like to set my tip up close to my active perch and walleye rigs. The flash brings in the pike and if they don't take the little bait they will hit the still bait.

Wulfespirit
12-30-2009, 09:12 PM
They're not in the same spot at the same time, but the pike love cruising through areas perch are active in for obvious reasons. I have no qualms keeping my tipup right close to my perch hole for that reason.

fluxcore
12-30-2009, 10:27 PM
They're not in the same spot at the same time, but the pike love cruising through areas perch are active in for obvious reasons. I have no qualms keeping my tipup right close to my perch hole for that reason.

Same here, although Ill set a few tip ups outside because of lack of room

eyewhomper
12-31-2009, 05:32 PM
how was the fishing alberta diver

Albertadiver
12-31-2009, 06:33 PM
how was the fishing alberta diver

Fishing was about the same as last week, pretty good. The ice is about another 1" thicker.

We landed a little over a dozen perch. Most of them were in the 6"-7" range, but I did get a fatty like what I used to catch there all the time when I was a kid. It's about 11" and currently unthawing in the kitchen sink for a little snack.

No action whatsoever on the pike tip-ups though, I think I was too deep for the pike. We were in about 25'+ of water.