PDA

View Full Version : going to spray for first time

fishstix
12-30-2009, 09:24 PM
Hi everyone. I havent ice fished in years. Im going to spray lake friday. What should i use for gear? I have an ice fishing rod and an auger, but thats it. Should i use a jig? some bait? I have lots of flies, wooley buggers ,streamers. I dont really know what im doing. Help!

Thanks and Happy New year everyone!
Fishstix!!

brianscott
12-30-2009, 09:43 PM
all you need is a small buzzbomb with a smelt .
Worked for me the other day, my first time out as well.

nicemustang
12-30-2009, 10:56 PM
Go early, really early. Bite sometimes ends at 9. We will be out friday as well. Don't know which spot but likely just out from driftwood. We usually decide on the way out.

Oilberta
12-30-2009, 11:00 PM
All I do is a smelt on a hook. Hang it 6-20 feet off bottom.
If it was my first time I would just go to the boat dock and walk out 200 yards find some deep water about 85 feet and fish.
Be there early and have fun.
Just so you know also. I have been checked 2 times by a very nice game warden at Spray this year.

DennyV
12-30-2009, 11:05 PM
I used to live in Canmore and fish spray fairly regularly. Directions from canmore to where I always had good luck (very deep spot). After you get out of the twisty narrow road along goat pond and pass the dam. Continue down the road nearly to driftwood and look across the lake you can see an outcropping of the mountain on the other side has been cut away for the transalta road that runs down the other side. Park there and walk 2/3 across the lake the hole there about this time of year before the ice starts sagging down should be around 110-130ft. Good luck!!! The wind there can really suck sometimes too!!

Sir Landsalot
12-31-2009, 12:28 AM
Definitely agree with the Buzzbomb suggestion as a great lure for Spray as its my favorite there as well. Chrome being my favorite color with white as a close second.
Nicemustang is right on the money about the early bite up there too. If/when possible I like to be on the water before first light. The action usually seems to taper off around 9-10 A.M, but often picks up again early in the afternoon.
Good luck and have fun!

shayne
12-31-2009, 01:38 AM
Tough lake to fish but early is good. I also found that a natural presentation beside someone running a buzz bomb or rattling jig has been the best. When I say natural presentation I mean a minnow pierced through the gut to back bone and then tied, no leader, a 1/4 oz weight 18" up and drop slowly to the bottom then bring it up about 3 feet, I like using a bobber now and the slightest movement give 'er a tug. Catch my limit every time.

Someone mentioned the wind, he wasn't kidding!

marlin1
12-31-2009, 06:29 AM
except don't use minnows as they they aren't legal as far as I know still