PDA

View Full Version : Badger Lake Durby

gramps73
12-31-2009, 10:27 AM
Does anyone have the dates and when the tickets go on sale?
thanks
Gramps

SNAGGLEPUSS
12-31-2009, 10:59 AM
http://www.badgerlakeicefishingderby.com/index.shtml
HEY GRAMPS, HERE IS THE WEBSITE FOR DERBY DETAILS.

WayneChristie
12-31-2009, 11:58 AM
any idea on ticket cost? not much info on the website

SturgeonHunter
12-31-2009, 12:09 PM
I think they are usually around $50, not bad though considering the fact that they have tons of door prizes to be won.

WayneChristie
01-02-2010, 08:08 PM
does anyone have a contact number for the derby? or email address?

Unregistered user
01-02-2010, 10:31 PM
Try the town of Vulcan and they'll hook you up with some-one in Lomond.

WayneChristie
01-02-2010, 11:13 PM
Lomond town website seems to have been compromised, I could always call their mayor I guess. They need to put more info on their derby website.

Freedom55
01-03-2010, 04:44 PM
Generally I have attended a Sale Day event at the community hall across from the hotel. It gets very busy and has sold out in a matter of a few hours most years. I know people in Lomond so I usually hear about it in advance. I can't say when the sale starts this year but if you phone the hotel, Jim or Audrey will help you out.

AlbertaAngler
01-03-2010, 07:42 PM
I got my tickets a wholesale sports in Lethbridge last year, they may be able to tell you what the cost is going to be this year. I can't remember what they were last year.

Brian H.
01-04-2010, 07:51 AM
Tickets are $40.00, Feb. 26 8:00 - 6:00, 27 8:00 - 6:00, 28 8:00 - 3:00. Tickets go on sale Jan. 16 at 10:00 in Lomond Curling rink.

WayneChristie
01-04-2010, 06:43 PM
Thanks for the info Brian

Duramaximos
01-04-2010, 09:34 PM
Do you need to be there in person to buy tickets?

fisherwoman
01-04-2010, 10:49 PM
I really want to go to this derby.:love: I see that it is 3 days long, so do I need a ticket for each day, or just one ticket for the 3 days? Cuz 40x2=ok, but 40x3x2= too much $ for us LOL.:confused:
Does anyone know if WSS is selling them again this year?
Looking in the reg's I see there are pike, perch and whitefish there, so are they using all 3 species to measure total weight of fish caught?:confused:
Is there a campground near by we could bring our trailer to stay for the derby? And if so can I bring my dogs to the campground?

Sorry about all the questions, just couldn't find any answers on the website.

cujo1969
01-05-2010, 12:27 AM
Some answers for you. Cost $40 for tickets that good for the three day. Derby is only for pike. Im not sure wss will have them depends if they sellout at comunity center. The camp ground no services but u can camp lots camp right on the ice.

Brian H.
01-05-2010, 07:27 AM
Fisherwoman;
Prizes are for the following,
largest pike, 1500.00
2nd. 700.00
3rd. 500.00
4th. 300.00
5th. 200.00
There are also numerous daily draws for ice auger, camera, tents, and other items.
This derby is not for total weight. All fish have to be weighed live, and released. Hope this helps.:)

WayneChristie
01-05-2010, 07:28 AM
40 for 3 days is awesome, I believe I will give this one a go. the rest of you might want to save your money, Im taking it ALL!!!! :D Now that Ive jinxed myself, I wont see a frikkin fish all weekend :lol:

fisherwoman
01-05-2010, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Looks like I'm driving out to Lomond on the 16th... too bad I can't just buy them online or over the phone with a Visa. But whatever.
Just pike eh? Well that sounds not as exciting as weighing in all 3. Thinking we might be camping out there for 3 days. Hopefully it is a holiday 3 day weekend so I don't have to cut class LOL.
So in the rules it says no keeping fish to eat... but if the derby is only for pike, do they mean no eating pike or no eating ANY fish? Cuz if I cant eat anything I catch I might have to bring some food...

BowhuntAB
01-05-2010, 03:03 PM
Glad to hear this thing is a catch and release derby now. Years ago they would kill the crap outta everything. They darn near distroyed the lake.

Good luck guys!

Lappy
01-12-2010, 01:00 PM
Anyone know how many weigh stations they will have and where they are located?

baitfisher83
01-12-2010, 01:08 PM
Sounds like an awesome time, too bad I dont have the means to enter it.....

Brian H.
01-12-2010, 01:41 PM
They have 1 weigh station at the quansit hut. Last year if you were 800 meters away, you just called a cell number and told them where you were and they would come to you. I think they are doing that again. If not all you have to do is put the fish in a big enough bucket and drive to them, as long as the fish is live. They will even release it for you after the weigh in.

Lappy
01-12-2010, 08:17 PM
Thanks for the info Brian

JustinC
01-12-2010, 08:22 PM
This derby destroyed this lake. It was the best pike fishing in AB now is sh!t.:cry:

Buck Krazy
01-12-2010, 08:53 PM
Wasn't neccesarily the derby, more the forums... And people keeping all the big pike. It is the same thing that is happening to Clear lake. The derby has been going on at badger for a long time, the fishing has only been the pits for the last 5 or so years..

JustinC
01-12-2010, 10:26 PM
Wasn't neccesarily the derby, more the forums... And people keeping all the big pike. It is the same thing that is happening to Clear lake. The derby has been going on at badger for a long time, the fishing has only been the pits for the last 5 or so years..
I have been fishing that lake for over 20 years Trust me that derby is a main part of it.If it was not for the derby there would not have been the thousands of pike come out every year during the derby.Also the derby is promotion to the lake. I remember you could not run fast enough from tip to tip up cause there was so many pike. Thepike were also on average of 10 lbs. It has not been like that for over 12 years . When was a 30lbs caught last? Along time ago. I think that you should not be aloud to keep fish that big. They are the spawners. All southern alberta pike are not getting to even get to spawn cause they would rather take the big ones that keep the fishery going. Same as for walleye. We should have a slot size. Not a bigger than !@# size. As for derbys all fish should have to be released just like the walleye tournaments. That is my thoughts.

Brian H.
01-13-2010, 07:22 AM
They have done that with this Derby, started last year, you can't keep any pike during the derby. Not even to eat. All catch and release.

rustynailz
01-13-2010, 09:47 AM
This derby destroyed this lake. It was the best pike fishing in AB now is sh!t.:cry:

I beg to differ. What destroyed Badger from the way it was 20 years ago was a 10 fish a day limit and heavy pressure on big fish when they're spawning.

I think Badger fishes much better in the last few years than it did 10-12 years ago. I saw a lot of big pike last year, some of which went back down the hole. Generally, the average fish size is up substantially in my opinion. My "fishing circle" landed four fish around 40" there last year, and we don't fish there as much as other places.

The new regs (barbless, 3 fish, min size limit, and spring closure) are only now beginning to pay dividends. Let's talk in another 5 years. I don't think you'll ever see the number of truly mammoth (30lb+) pike that it did before all the fishing pressure though.

Nice to see them put the derby on a C&R basis now though.

JustinC
01-13-2010, 12:32 PM
To little to late on everything in alberta. We need slot size on all fish and limits way less then they are.As for the derby I still think it was a major part in the lake going down hill. Also people need to keep things to them selves.

rustynailz
01-13-2010, 02:57 PM
Also people need to keep things to them selves.

Duly noted. I didn't realize you were a fisheries biologist.

JustinC
01-13-2010, 04:49 PM
Duly noted. I didn't realize you were a fisheries biologist.
So what do you think?????? I am not but I wish I was so I could change things.thaks for your sh!tty reply.It is people like you how screw up lakes in alberta.

Buck Krazy
01-13-2010, 06:19 PM
Thats why my favorite lake, fed by zippermouth creek is still good! LOL

JustinC
01-13-2010, 06:26 PM
Thats why my favorite lake, fed by zippermouth creek is still good! LOL
down never tell road. I agree 1000%

pecker
01-13-2010, 06:31 PM
down never tell road. I agree 1000%

as is you can come blindfolded lake. :lol::lol::wave:

Walleyes
01-13-2010, 08:06 PM
Honestly guys I don't want to pick a fight here but with some of the attitudes you guys have why are you even part of a discussion forum. Is it just to come on here and load up on info but keep what you know to yourself.. This is a community we share. I think for the most part anyways that the majority of the people on here are catch and release fishermen.. You could have all the fishermen on this board out on a lake whats the harm if all the fish are thrown back.. I have said it before and AI will say it again,, if all you are doing is coming on here and showing off pics and to load up on other peoples info as far as I am concerned keep your pics to yourself and stay hidden in your little world..

JustinC
01-13-2010, 08:35 PM
Honestly guys I don't want to pick a fight here but with some of the attitudes you guys have why are you even part of a discussion forum. Is it just to come on here and load up on info but keep what you know to yourself.. This is a community we share. I think for the most part anyways that the majority of the people on here are catch and release fishermen.. You could have all the fishermen on this board out on a lake whats the harm if all the fish are thrown back.. I have said it before and AI will say it again,, if all you are doing is coming on here and showing off pics and to load up on other peoples info as far as I am concerned keep your pics to yourself and stay hidden in your little world..I am not doing that. I have asked and helped out. I am just saying what I think. As for C&R fishermen I dont beleive that when I here and see all of the fish that are posted on here that are dead. I dont like to even eat fish.I have guided and have taken school kids out in programs to show kids what fishing is all about. I have done lots in the fishing community. what I care about is going to a place like clear lake and see how a couple years of people keeping destroyed that lake.I dont mind helping anybody when it come to fishing but somethings have to be kept to your selve. Thanks for your honest comment.:)

WayneChristie
01-13-2010, 08:54 PM
I am not doing that. I have asked and helped out. I am just saying what I think. As for C&R fishermen I dont beleive that when I here and see all of the fish that are posted on here that are dead. I dont like to even eat fish.I have guided and have taken school kids out in programs to show kids what fishing is all about. I have done lots in the fishing community. what I care about is going to a place like clear lake and see how a couple years of people keeping destroyed that lake.I dont mind helping anybody when it come to fishing but somethings have to be kept to your selve. Thanks for your honest comment.:)

Im not sure how you can consider lakes like Clear destroyed, is it because you dont catch fish there? I have only fished there once, and saw lots of fish, even tho I only landed one of them, what do you consider a good lake, one where you can see a fish every time you look down your hole? Just curious. Not catching fish is a part of fishing, it doesnt mean there are no fish left in a lake, they dont sit in one place all the time, different weather systems, water temperatures, times of day, and many other factors influence where fish are and whether or not they will bite. Doesnt matter how good a fisherperson you are, or how fancy your gear is the fact is sometimes you wont see a fish. Doesnt mean the lake is dead.
I dont mind eating them, but I rarely keep any, but thats my personal choice. You cant put down people who legally keep their limit, they are fully within their rights, even if you might not agree with it. It would be nice if everyone only kept a few. but thats not life.

JustinC
01-13-2010, 09:05 PM
Im not sure how you can consider lakes like Clear destroyed, is it because you dont catch fish there? I have only fished there once, and saw lots of fish, even tho I only landed one of them, what do you consider a good lake, one where you can see a fish every time you look down your hole? Just curious. Not catching fish is a part of fishing, it doesnt mean there are no fish left in a lake, they dont sit in one place all the time, different weather systems, water temperatures, times of day, and many other factors influence where fish are and whether or not they will bite. Doesnt matter how good a fisherperson you are, or how fancy your gear is the fact is sometimes you wont see a fish. Doesnt mean the lake is dead.
I dont mind eating them, but I rarely keep any, but thats my personal choice. You cant put down people who legally keep their limit, they are fully within their rights, even if you might not agree with it. It would be nice if everyone only kept a few. but thats not life.First of all the lake is not dead. I have never been skunked there either.I never said anything about you keeping one or two but there is people that dont just keep there limit. I have noticed the size go down there like every where else. I lived down there for years and the last couple has gave the lake a kickin in my opinion.I am putting no one down just think the limits are to high in this province.Like people taking 10 ling cod everytime they go. How long till you dont catch one?

Walleyes
01-13-2010, 09:25 PM
Limits are to high ???? gee wiz man its just about impossible to keep a meal now in this province... Now you may not enjoy eating fish thats your prerogative but many of us do. 10 Burbs each yah that may be high but 1 Walleye or none on most lakes and on most of those lakes the walleye are eating themselves out of bait,, come on wheres the rational in that.. The day they stop netting in Alberta and the day the Natives have to stop the free will harvest thats the day I will agree to stop keeping fish other wise I may as well get a few while I can.. I pay taxes like everyone out the yang and we all pay all sorts of fees for just about everything we do in this province how bout they really start putting some of that money back in the water instead of their coffers lets see that.. Personaly I am sick and tired of this give ,give, give BS I want to see something for my money instead of watching a bunch of CO's cruising around on Sea Doo's or high powred ski doo's checking if I happened to keep a fish to eat and ripping my boat apart looking for heaven forbid an open beer,, no can't be doing that that would be having fun now wouldn't it.. You want to give up all your rights as an outdoorsman go ahead I will continue to fight for my rights to harvest fish and game in this province.

rustynailz
01-13-2010, 09:35 PM
This is really simple.

Don't jump on people who are following the regs.

You or I may catch a monster pike and see an egg wagon that should go back to spawn. Someone else may look at it and see three delicious meals for their family. The beautiful thing about fishing in Alberta is that both of us can get what we want here. If you honestly believe that spawning size fish are in trouble in Alberta, talk to SRD and see if they'll change something. I personally believe that the regs are just fine for the most part, and I trust the fisheries biologists to make the right call. They go to school to learn about these things and as a result have forgotten more about fisheries management than most of us know. I'm sure that as burbot fishing grows in popularity limits will come down to match.

As far as sharing of information here goes, most lakes in Alberta are practically unfished, with the vast majority of the pressure in very limited spots. Even at PCR where there are hundreds of guys fishing every weekend, most guys are fishing right by the boat launch. Take the big waters like Newell, Sylvan, Crawling, McGregor, etc, and a lot of the fish probably don't see a single hook in a given year.

If YOU don't want to kill big fish, don't. If YOU don't want to share your super-secret spots, then don't. But don't come on here and whine and complain because other law-abiding anglers don't agree with you.

Wulfespirit
01-13-2010, 09:43 PM
This is really simple.

Don't jump on people who are following the regs.

You or I may catch a monster pike and see an egg wagon that should go back to spawn. Someone else may look at it and see three delicious meals for their family. The beautiful thing about fishing in Alberta is that both of us can get what we want here. If you honestly believe that spawning size fish are in trouble in Alberta, talk to SRD and see if they'll change something. I personally believe that the regs are just fine for the most part, and I trust the fisheries biologists to make the right call. They go to school to learn about these things and as a result have forgotten more about fisheries management than most of us know. I'm sure that as burbot fishing grows in popularity limits will come down to match.

As far as sharing of information here goes, most lakes in Alberta are practically unfished, with the vast majority of the pressure in very limited spots. Even at PCR where there are hundreds of guys fishing every weekend, most guys are fishing right by the boat launch. Take the big waters like Newell, Sylvan, Crawling, McGregor, etc, and a lot of the fish probably don't see a single hook in a given year.

If YOU don't want to kill big fish, don't. If YOU don't want to share your super-secret spots, then don't. But don't come on here and whine and complain because other law-abiding anglers don't agree with you.

X2 - both this and Walleyes post

gunner72
01-13-2010, 09:45 PM
you tell'em rusty!

JustinC
01-13-2010, 10:21 PM
Sorry guys. I think walleye limits are a joke aswell as you but pike in alberta are not doing so well. As for if you want to keep your limit go ahead.You payed your fees and taxes. As for you all of you who dis agree voice your opinion that is what the fourm is all about. I would just like my kids to enjoy what I did as a kid.I really like what all of you have to say. I may not agree with you.but I dont put anybody down on this site so I ant the same in return. Thanks

TangoKilo
01-14-2010, 06:20 AM
Sorry guys. I think walleye limits are a joke aswell as you but pike in alberta are not doing so well. As for if you want to keep your limit go ahead.You payed your fees and taxes. As for you all of you who dis agree voice your opinion that is what the fourm is all about. I would just like my kids to enjoy what I did as a kid.I really like what all of you have to say. I may not agree with you.but I dont put anybody down on this site so I ant the same in return. Thanks

You are certainly entitled to your opinion.

I fully agree with Rusty and Walleys.

Ill be fishing Clear today, and I might even... Keep a fish...

Brian H.
01-14-2010, 07:29 AM
I think it's pretty sad:(, when this forum started out with a few people asking for information on the upcoming derby, and it turned into an argument. I like to eat fish as does my wife, but I only keep one here and there. I thought it was a good idea to turn this derby into a catch and release only.:) I'm used to fishing in Northern Saskatchewan, and Manitoba and the fishing is sure different here. I respect the rules, and other people's opinions, and I enjoy what information people give out, if people want to keep there spots to them selves, I think that's a good thing, I for one am willing to share what I know.:wave: I whish everyone on this board good luck fishing and be safe.:wave:

pecker
01-14-2010, 06:35 PM
Limits are to high ???? gee wiz man its just about impossible to keep a meal now in this province... Now you may not enjoy eating fish thats your prerogative but many of us do. 10 Burbs each yah that may be high but 1 Walleye or none on most lakes and on most of those lakes the walleye are eating themselves out of bait,, come on wheres the rational in that.. The day they stop netting in Alberta and the day the Natives have to stop the free will harvest thats the day I will agree to stop keeping fish other wise I may as well get a few while I can.. I pay taxes like everyone out the yang and we all pay all sorts of fees for just about everything we do in this province how bout they really start putting some of that money back in the water instead of their coffers lets see that.. Personaly I am sick and tired of this give ,give, give BS I want to see something for my money instead of watching a bunch of CO's cruising around on Sea Doo's or high powred ski doo's checking if I happened to keep a fish to eat and ripping my boat apart looking for heaven forbid an open beer,, no can't be doing that that would be having fun now wouldn't it.. You want to give up all your rights as an outdoorsman go ahead I will continue to fight for my rights to harvest fish and game in this province.

RIGHT ON WALLEYES .;) :wave:

gramps73
01-14-2010, 07:35 PM

Justin
I can see you point but look at it from a different angle, i grew up on Pine lake catching pike,perch and if you were lucky a walleye. I took my boys there last year and the only thing left in that lake are the walleye eating everything that moves. Crawling Valley the same thing no limit is not a good choice IMO. Yes some of the alberta limits are high but to have no limit is not cool.
Just my 2 cents
g

BowhuntAB
02-02-2010, 09:36 AM

x2!!!!

The derby and everyone killing the big hens is what screwed up Badger.

I have fished it for close to 20 years as well all flyfishing. From 97-04 i caught and released over 100 40"+ pike in the 3-4 weeks a year that the flyfishing is prime. The biggest was 51" 39lb+ plus 12 that were 46"-50". In this time i also had clients land 44 fish over 40". In 04 you could really see the decline in the numbers. I have since quit guiding and since 04 have only landed a handful of 40" fish. Where did they go?

Clear lake has since been my diamond in the rough but now i fear this lake is heading down the same path.:cry:

BowhuntAB
02-02-2010, 09:36 AM

X2

rustynailz
02-02-2010, 09:45 AM
The biggest was 51" 39lb+ plus 12 that were 46"-50".

Wow...that's a new Alberta record pike then?

BowhuntAB
02-02-2010, 10:03 AM
Wow...that's a new Alberta record pike then?

Based on the lenght x girth formula yes It would have been...got the photos of the girth, photos of the length, full body. Kept the tippet for line class, had 3 witnesses, filled out the paper work for catch and release and did nothing else with it. Its head alone was almost 18" from the tip to the back of the gill plate. :)

That was in 2000. Lots of guys in the city have seen the picture and know all about it. Registering never mattered to me for some reason.

Dr.D
02-02-2010, 12:14 PM
As a pike nut would love to see the pics of the ones over 50 inches

rustynailz
02-02-2010, 03:32 PM
No kidding! Post those pics...I'd love to spend a few hours drooling over them!

Catching that on the fly is just awesome.

BowhuntAB
02-03-2010, 11:56 AM
Yeah it was...those were the good ol' days!

We would drive out there (hour and a half) damn near every night from the middle of May to the middle of June. Half the time you would get there and have 50 km wind that would force you to just turn around or sit around waiting to see if it would drop in the evening. Thank god they now have a weather post in Lomond. Much nicer to check the weather before heading out there. We would camp and have the lake almost entirely to ourselves.

Sadly the lake has gone WAY down hill in the past 5 years. We don't even see close to the number of big hens laying in the shallows as we used to.

I'm sure i'll take heat for this but i really think the Derby has hurt the lake and even worse is the numbers of 36"+ hens that people are killing. IMO

I'll dig up some photos and try to load them.

kcountry
02-03-2010, 04:09 PM
Not sure if it matters much....But now that the regs have changed for the derbys, all pike must be returned.....Hopefully....Badger still is my personal favourite.