PDA

View Full Version : NEF and H&R Single shot rifles

Dan Boone
01-01-2010, 09:59 PM
Been looking at some of these break open single shots, don't cost much so it kinda scares me off. Couple of them, the ultra varmint fluted and the ultra varmint thumbhole catch my eye.
I am curious if anyone has one or knows anyone who might and what you all think of it? I'll be buying the 243 or 25-06 for wolves and coyotes!

Any thoughts is greatly apprecitated
Dan

ruger300
01-01-2010, 10:15 PM
Had 2 of them, one in .204 and the other in .223. Both shot well enough for the price of the gun with reloads the .223 better than the .204. The trigger on the .204 was over the 5lb mark so a little gunsmithing was involved to get it below 3lbs. I think as long as your not looking for a varmint rifle that stacks its bullets on top of each other they are a good bargin. Just my view from here.

ruger300

redranger15
01-01-2010, 10:18 PM
I had one in 22-250 , shot like crap and would open up on me with the recoil.I sold that POS. My bro has one in 223 and it shoots fine. There is a lot of info on them on greybeard outdoors. Don't ever forget you get what to pay for. If you like to tinker then they might be for you.I think they are hit and miss.

brad925
01-01-2010, 10:19 PM
I have owed both H&R and NEF rifles. My personal choice would be the H&R in 25-06. The H&R IMO is a better qaulity rifle than the NEF. If you go to www.go2gbo.com and go to the forums then scroll down to NEF-H&R Talk, you will find out alot about these great little rifles.

6tmile
01-02-2010, 04:10 PM
I own a handi rifle in 204, it took about 100 rounds to have it shoot minute of coyote, greybeards outdoors has a lot of info on them as was previousely mentioned, mine has been a great little rifle, I have had it for 3 years, they can be finicky to get to shoot groups , but after u get it to group you nknow you have achieved something special

kaleh01
01-03-2010, 07:00 PM
I bought the H&R in 243 for my father-in-law and two separate rifles would both open upon recoil as redranger said above. Took the second one back extremely disappointed and bought him a T/C pro hunter in 243. Amazing rifle, he's shooting 0.7 MOA at 200 yards day in and day out with Sierra blitzking 70 grainers.

Dan Boone
01-03-2010, 07:53 PM
Thanks guys,
Maybe I will save my money! Sounds like I would be jsut as well off with savage bolt action for nearly the same price. Was thinking of the H&R Varmint fluted if anyone as any specific knowledge of this rifle in any caliber?
Thanks once again for the info and thougts,
Dan

duceman
01-03-2010, 08:08 PM
wise choice dan, had an ultra varmint in 204.
lets just say i could have shot coyotes and gophers for at least 2 years on the money i spent on powder, primers, bullets, cleaning supplies trying to get that thing to shoot.
finally got one load to 1 1/4".:mad2:
dumped the whole lot of junk, soured me on the cartridge and guns for ever.:mad3:

guess i'm spoiled by the duces.:cool:

for not much more $, you can pick up a used 788, or stevens 200, or a bat and ball that will shoot better.

on the upside, the young feller that bought mine thinks its the best thing since shaving cream in the shower, go figure, lee.:ashamed:

aulrich
01-04-2010, 11:17 AM
I have had 4,3 actions one gray market extra barrel (don't ask) still have 2 and the barrel. Getting them shooting can be an issue, getting them to shoot right can range from next to no effort ( my 204 and the 7-08 barrel) to moderate my 22 now Khornet, to stupendus the 243.

If the round you want is made in a Stevens 200 do that, and I like handi's, but if your not prepared to tinker some it's a bit of a crap shoot.

Also watch out some versions were duds accross the board, ie the 44 mags for a while were all overbored so unless you used specially sized cast they all shot like crap.

Like it was said before greybeardoutdoors has a very active handi forum read the stickies to get a feel for the tinkering.

And NEF = H&R same action same barrels the difference is H&R has fancy pallet wood stocks. Though my understanding is Remington is phasing out the NEF brand and going to market everything under the H&R name.

fuzz269
01-04-2010, 12:15 PM
I have 2 one in 45/70 and it is one of the best guns I own as far as shootin good and gettin the freazer full, the other is a 204 that I am about ready to rap around a tree.

reds
01-04-2010, 03:11 PM
I no this isnt the buy and sell category but I have a T\C Pro Hunter SS Thumbhole stock in a 22-250 in like new shape with 50 rounds through it and 50 more loaded up asking $700 if your interested.And it shoots great.

cgrif
10-24-2010, 04:51 AM
Who in alberta is carrying a decent inventory of these rifles? I would be looking for one in 25-06.

junkdude
10-24-2010, 10:24 AM
Never looked at NEF handi rifles, but own a H&R buffalo classsic. Seems to be build fairly well for the price, extremely basic, lots of fun to shoot. No complaints so far, except the williams rear peep is not that heavily built and limited range of adjustment. Also I think the mounting holes were not drilled & tapped perfectly centerd on the chamber; that was fixed by putting on a tang rear peep.

duceman
10-24-2010, 08:04 PM
heathlight on this forum has a 25-06 nef in nice shape for sale, looked at it myself. check the buy/sell ads, it's priced reasonable too, lee.

Ozark_smithy
10-24-2010, 09:01 PM
I also had a B/C in 45-70 shot great.a friend of mine has a handi in 223 it shoots just fine, the only problem I have with them is the stiff trigger pull but that can be easily fixed by polishing the sear with some honing compound and a fine sharpening stone. First polish the sear w/ a buffer wheel and the compound then 20 soft strokes on the stone,test the pull and if it is still to stiff go ten more passes on the stone. It's a great Rifel for the money.

kayaker
10-25-2010, 06:59 AM
I was seriosuly considering buying one in .223 as I heard lots of good reports and like to tinker!

I will admit I have zero practical/first hand experience with them but in my enquiries it seems that many people have issues with those chambered in .22-250 and .243, most notably the actions opening and stuck cases. The case issue could be due to the case shapes and high pressures? There is a you tube video of one in .500sw opening after discharge (no issues, but still a bit scary). the opening apprently can be an issue if the sliding bite (locking lug) is oiled and the gun is not shut properly (i.e. always make sure the lug is dry/unoiled and always snap them shut smartly so the lug engages the bite properly)

It seems that owners of .223's seem to have very few problems.

I think in the small cases head sizes like .223/.204 they seem fine and of course in low pressure carts like .30-30 or .45-70 they seem to do well. I think one in .30-30 would be a great starter/loaner rifle.

dogslayer403
10-25-2010, 10:51 AM
I was seriosuly considering buying one in .223 as I heard lots of good reports and like to tinker!

I will admit I have zero practical/first hand experience with them but in my enquiries it seems that many people have issues with those chambered in .22-250 and .243, most notably the actions opening and stuck cases. The case issue could be due to the case shapes and high pressures? There is a you tube video of one in .500sw opening after discharge (no issues, but still a bit scary). the opening apprently can be an issue if the sliding bite (locking lug) is oiled and the gun is not shut properly (i.e. always make sure the lug is dry/unoiled and always snap them shut smartly so the lug engages the bite properly)

It seems that owners of .223's seem to have very few problems.

I think in the small cases head sizes like .223/.204 they seem fine and of course in low pressure carts like .30-30 or .45-70 they seem to do well. I think one in .30-30 would be a great starter/loaner rifle.

I have a ultra varmint in .223 It doesnt group very good at all Ive tried all types of ammo it dont matter ( no reloads though mind you ) it just cant beat a 2" group at a 100 which in my opinion is garbage. As far as function the gun has held together and operates smoothly and I do still use it simply cause where i usually call yotes you dont get to shoot over a 100 most of the time. So it works well enough in those areas.

heathlight
10-25-2010, 06:41 PM
I have one available in really good shape if you are interested.

Marlin xl7
10-25-2010, 06:46 PM
my NEF handi rifle in 223 shoots extremely well. 0.50" at 100 with reloads or factory, all day llong.

dogslayer403
10-25-2010, 11:38 PM
my NEF handi rifle in 223 shoots extremely well. 0.50" at 100 with reloads or factory, all day llong.

have you done anything to it or was it good out of the box? Ive been rather dissapointed with mines accuracy

Marlin xl7
10-26-2010, 06:14 AM
It was good right out of the box. The trigger is excellent, the only thing I wish I had done is go with a little higher scope rings thats about it.