PDA

View Full Version : Rusty hooks

BH1
01-02-2010, 02:53 AM
During the summer we went on a quading/fishing trip. I guess as we crossed some of the rivers on the way home that some water got into my tackle box. This caused many of my spinners, jig heads to rust. Im wondering even if I have scrubbed off the majority of the rust if the fish will be turned off these such hooks. ( I've heard rust has some scent in the water) Is there something I can use to remove the rest of the rust, or is it easier/better just to buy new ones. Thx

Shmag
01-02-2010, 03:06 AM
I am guessing if you took one of your jig heads and twisted the hook they would snap very easily. Hook are designed to disolve, that way if a hook was broke off the line by a fish they would disolve in their mouth with in 3days i think.

Bigger treble's would probably be ok, and an sos pad would clean them up but for the most part i think they would be very weak. I have been there before, it sucks but then again new tackle is good,:lol:

BH1
01-02-2010, 03:09 AM
Fortunetely the majority of the hook only had rust on the spinner, or the head, the ones that the hooks where rusted I just threw out... i lose enough fish already.

Shmag
01-02-2010, 03:16 AM
Ok..you should be ok then and the sos pad should be able to clean them up. I think i would still give them a twist test to make sure, i think storm makes markers now if you needed to touch the paint up a bit after words. As far as the scent goes, i don't think i would be to worried about that.

Oh and some of the best fish i caught have been on old beat up hooks, some with no paint left on them, may of even had some rust on them now that i think of it. Good luck with them

thumper
01-02-2010, 12:39 PM
Try those new Mr Clean white foam pads instead of sos pads. I find that it cleans up rust well without scratching the finish.

pikester
01-02-2010, 01:11 PM
Fortunetely the majority of the hook only had rust on the spinner, or the head, the ones that the hooks where rusted I just threw out... i lose enough fish already.

+10 on that one, I can totally relate! For the amount of time & money we all invest in going fishing, throwing away a handful of rusty hooks is insignificant.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
01-02-2010, 01:25 PM
Ither go to Cambodian tire , or fishing hole which ever buy replacement hooks or using needle nose pliers take the treble hook off the effected hooks , soak them in WD 40 for 2 or 3 days then wipe the hooks off on paper towel or use sand paper . Might wanna take a hook sharpener to them before you use them again . Once you've done that give them a little wash in Dawn dish soap and rinse off and they will be as good as new . I had a miss hap a few years back in BC boat kinda tipped at the launch , 2 tackle boxes were full of water rods cellphone you name it was soaked and ither no good or was rusted , that was only after about 5 hours . Key is to sharpen the hooks after cleaning them .

As for the spinner , take the treble hook off , agian soak in WD40 and then a day or so later take a thick cloth and rub that rust off might wanna repeat a couple of times then clean off in Dawn dish soap and youll be good to go .