PDA

View Full Version : heading to Kananaskis

Jammer
07-29-2007, 09:51 AM
this week and would like to know where is a good place to fish? and what to use? we would be fishing from shore, no boats. thanks.

sheephunter
07-29-2007, 12:44 PM
Give Mount Lorette Pond a try.......

If you don't mind a hike....Running Rain, Elbow, Tombstone, Loomis and Fortress Lakes all fish well from shore.

Jammer
07-29-2007, 01:33 PM
i don't mind a hike. how do we get to those lakes? how long of a hike is it?

Scott N
07-29-2007, 02:01 PM
I second sheephunter's recommendation about Elbow Lake. I saw your previous post about wanting to hike with a five year old in K-Country, and a don't think that this would be too bad for a young one. The trail head is about 13 km south of the Peter Loughheed Park entrance on the east side of Highway 40. It's probably a little more of a km to hike up to the lake from the highway. There are a lot of little brookies in this lake, and the scenery is very nice.

sheephunter
07-29-2007, 04:04 PM
Ya...with a youngster Elbow would be awesome! Check in at Mount Lorette Pond though....it has access right off Highway 40 and if recently stocked is a great place for a young fellow to catch some rainbows.

Running Rain is another that is loaded with small cutties and a fairly short hike.

Jammer
07-31-2007, 11:37 AM
thanks, we can't wait to try these out! now, what should we use to catch 'em?

sheephunter
07-31-2007, 12:08 PM
Small spoons, spinner and flies always work and Power bait works well in the waters where it's legal. For the most part, these are pretty small fish and keeping your offerings small is the key. If you get an insect hatch happening on a mountain lake the actuion can be incredible. Even if you aren't a fly fisherman, you can fish a fly and bobber combination. The Adams and humpy in #12-#16 are my favourites for dries and small mayfly and caddis nymphs work well sub surface.

Jammer
08-01-2007, 01:44 PM
thank you for all the info. we can't wait to go and try our luck!!

sportster
08-02-2007, 10:25 AM
you might wanna check with forestry for the area, I was just at lynx creek in the castle river area and a total foreclosure i think right from lost creek ranging all the way up to willow creek area in k- country. way to dry, to much risk of fire is what they were telling us. Probably about 100-150 units in the random camping area had to leave. They were bringing in co"s from whitecourt and such to help with evacuation