PDA

View Full Version : Spencer Lake Report

sco22
01-02-2010, 04:34 PM
We fished Spencer Lake on the 28th and 29th of December. I have to say that I was amazed at how much less snow there was as we moved North. I would guess there was at least half the snow, maybe less, when we drove the Seibert Lake road in. A car could have gotten in easy enough (maybe stuggled on a couple of the hills). We camped in the Seibert Lake campground.

The 28th was a beautiful day. Maybe -10 or so, no wind and light snow. The snowflakes were big and floating straight down. We didn't get out on to the ice until around 2:30. We drilled about 20 holes from shallow to deep and started setting up the tip ups in shallow before heading to the tents. I knew it was going to be a good day when I caught 2 fish on my first 2 attempts to set my tip up. Both times the hook didn't even hit the sand. All in all, I caught about 18 walleye and 1 pike. My fishing parnters caught a few less. Most walleye were in the 40-46 cm range with a few over and a few really small. We kept a couple for a fantastic fish fry that night.

The next day we made it out again, but funny it was just around the same time. However, it was much colder and windy. We went back to our favorite spot but only caught pike. The pike were mostly small, around 50 cm and quite skinny. We only caught one walleye and everything went back that day.

It was easy to get around on the lake. There were only a handful of people on Spencer but about 10 trucks, including a converted school bus, over on Seibert. We did not speak to any of them to ask how the fishing was, but they seemed pretty happy.

Cheers.

Walleyes
01-02-2010, 04:47 PM
Sounds like a good time,, that sure is some of the nicest country around isn't it...

Thx for the report and for bringing back a whole lot of memories for me..

sco22
01-02-2010, 07:54 PM
It sure is beautiful country. I am lucky enough to make a few trips in the Lakeland region each winter and many more in the summer. We did a fall trip into Spencer from Seibert 2 falls ago - just fantastic. Tough work to get there, but we had Spencer to ourselves for 2 full days of fishing. That slot size restriction sure seemed to work for that lake, although I did find the pike and some of the walleye on the skinny side.

I will post a couple of pics when I download them. . .see if that can enhance the memories!

Cheers.

SNAPFisher
01-03-2010, 06:41 AM
Great report Sco!! Glad you had a good trip out.

Fish magnet
01-03-2010, 11:47 PM
I was at spencer on the 29th also.We also noticed that the fish were very skinny , especially the pike. They had very large heads and skinny bodies. Some of the walleye were skinny also but not as bad as the pike . We are thinking there must be a lack of feed or too many fish but we are not sure.

sco22
01-04-2010, 03:13 PM
Nice to hear from you again Snap. . .hope all is going well.

Fish Magnet - did you have the lake to yourself that day? I didn't see many trucks passing throuh Seibert that morning.

All of the pike were skinny. We caught one that taped out at 78 cm, but could not have weighed more than 3 - 4 pounds max. The walleye were about 50/50 normal to skinny. One was so skinny that its skull appeared almost deformed - like a pike head behind the eyes. I wanted to take a picture but my blackberry was dead and I didn't want to keep it out of the water. I didn't notice any feed, like shrimp and such, washing up when we were drilling. The ones we kept to eat were pretty empty inside. Maybe there is a feed issue. We are heading back in February and then again in March.

I have attached a picture of the school bus I noted in the my first post. This is something I haven't seen before. I will get the other pics off my other blackberry tonight.

Cheers.

Fish magnet
01-06-2010, 11:42 PM
Nice to hear from you again Snap. . .hope all is going well.

Fish Magnet - did you have the lake to yourself that day? I didn't see many trucks passing throuh Seibert that morning.

All of the pike were skinny. We caught one that taped out at 78 cm, but could not have weighed more than 3 - 4 pounds max. The walleye were about 50/50 normal to skinny. One was so skinny that its skull appeared almost deformed - like a pike head behind the eyes. I wanted to take a picture but my blackberry was dead and I didn't want to keep it out of the water. I didn't notice any feed, like shrimp and such, washing up when we were drilling. The ones we kept to eat were pretty empty inside. Maybe there is a feed issue. We are heading back in February and then again in March.

I have attached a picture of the school bus I noted in the my first post. This is something I haven't seen before. I will get the other pics off my other blackberry tonight.

Cheers.
There was 2 or 3 other trucks besides us on the lake that day.