PDA

View Full Version : Tough fish

WayneChristie
01-02-2010, 07:24 PM
Went perch fishing today, got some decent sized ones so decided to keep a few. put them on the ice, some were frozen for 4 or 5 hours probably. end of the day, packed them in snow, stopped for dinner, and got home after an hour and a half from the lake. put the perch in a tub of water, stiff as a board. ended up having to kill almost all the little buggers, some had been on ice most of the day! and all this complaining about people holding up a fish to take a picture, :D

shayne
01-02-2010, 07:30 PM
Cryopreservation

180+
01-02-2010, 07:30 PM
I seen a guy with an aquarium full of 2 + pound perch he caught them in the winter drove home went to fillet them and they were still alive !! his daughter would not let him kill them so she put 3 in her gold fish bowl!! They ate the gold fish!!:huh:

Jims71duster
01-02-2010, 07:57 PM
:huhI seen a guy with an aquarium full of 2 + pound perch he caught them in the winter drove home went to fillet them and they were still alive !! his daughter would not let him kill them so she put 3 in her gold fish bowl!! They ate the gold fish!!:huh:

hmmmmmmm!!!!:huh:

dodger
01-02-2010, 09:01 PM
Back in the early 70's my uncle had a small pond in his back yard with Gold Fish in it. He brought back a couple of Perch from Pine lake to throw in the Pond because the were " pretty fish ". The next day he went out to feed the fish and the Gold Fish population was drastically reduced.

Dodger.

vpinch
01-02-2010, 09:04 PM
where are a few places around edmonton to do sum perch fishing ive only been ice fishing like 4 times i wanna catch a perch never caught one

fishunter
01-02-2010, 09:19 PM
try hassa lake, west of edmonton ,alot of perch but most are small

vpinch
01-02-2010, 09:25 PM
where do u find bigger ones those are probley stocked ones hey lil babbies

Paul C
01-02-2010, 09:32 PM
I seen a guy with an aquarium full of 2 + pound perch he caught them in the winter drove home went to fillet them and they were still alive !! his daughter would not let him kill them so she put 3 in her gold fish bowl!! They ate the gold fish!!:huh:
Wow :D

lippy
01-02-2010, 11:42 PM
Went perch fishing today, got some decent sized ones so decided to keep a few. put them on the ice, some were frozen for 4 or 5 hours probably. end of the day, packed them in snow, stopped for dinner, and got home after an hour and a half from the lake. put the perch in a tub of water, stiff as a board. ended up having to kill almost all the little buggers, some had been on ice most of the day! and all this complaining about people holding up a fish to take a picture, :D

in the mid sixties there was a great perch lake north of brooks..i believe near rock lake as i recall. The limit was 25 then..it was a very cold day and we had a couple gunny sacks of fish that we brought home in the trunk of a little austin sedan we were in. We put them in the bath tub and lo and behold we had 40 or 50 still alive after the 1 and a half hour drive home!

WayneChristie
01-02-2010, 11:45 PM
I can see some fun with that, you can fish for them a second time :) works for the walleye at PCR I am sure I caught the same ones over and over, 4 or 5 hook holes in their mouths. :lol: Wonder if that perch lake is still there??? Ive fished rock lake, was that the one?

tonyflyfish
01-02-2010, 11:51 PM
OK we gotta try to further this. we'll get a bucket, water, a lawn chair (a beer for Wayne) and we'll "fish"

we could tie ballons to the fish and track the movement

WayneChristie
01-03-2010, 07:24 AM
actually with a bucket I prefer a 12 gauge, :lol:
Speaking of balloons, you will have to ask me about that time in Northern Ontario when I was in the military, and the pike , next time we get together :D

Geezle
01-03-2010, 08:18 AM
That story reminds me of the first burbot we ever kept.

Caught it and left it on the ice for a couple hours...it was occasionally flopping around the dog kept going over to check it out, so I thumped it a couple times. The fish probably spent at least 4 hours on the ice.

Well, we took it home, had a couple beers, and decided 'okay, let's try to clean this thing' and got a board, put a spike in it, and stuck the fish on the board. At this point the bloody fish started slithering around again! My uncle stuck it through the head with a knife and we figured it was done for sure, but when we were peeling the skin back the fish was STILL moving! Toughest fish EVER! :scared:

WayneChristie
01-03-2010, 08:46 AM
had a pike once that was in the cooler for a few hours, finally got it home and put it in the sink.. heard a scream and ran back to the kitchen, ex was running some water and the pike jumped right out of the sink at her feet :) too bad it wasnt venomous :evilgrin:

Wulfespirit
01-03-2010, 09:11 AM
Did the pike die of poisoning? :D

jpietrzak1979
01-03-2010, 11:09 AM
Hah yeah bloody things... I caught a pike on jackfish yesterday... sat in the ice for good hour... stuck it in a plastic bag for the hour long ride back home with no air or water... was sure was dead... threw em in the sink bout 20 mins after got home and the bastard starts breathin an floppin around! So I beat em in the head... then he was at least half dead an cut is head off... that seems to usually work!
Jay

Unregistered user
01-03-2010, 02:46 PM
Big fine for transporting live fish or fish eggs in Alberta, you don't wanna p.o. a C.O. cuz uh-oh! you owe.