PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Lake report

Jack&7
01-03-2010, 09:12 PM
IT SUCKS!!!

There... I said it. Went out today and there were 4 other shacks out there. The access onto the lake looked pretty iffy and I don't have 4X4 so walking was the only other option.

I stopped to talk to the first group of guys we encountered to see what info they could offer (since this was my first time there). They had not had a bite in the three hours they were there and said the water was as clear as coffee. These guys were set up in 6 feet of water in what I think was the first lake from the north side. I'm a little unclear how these 3 parts of the lake are defined...

Anyway, we walked to what I thought was the middle lake once you crossed the berm. Two guys were set up there and they had one pike on the ice. Nice enough guys but they were also in about 6 feet of water.

We walked past trying to get to a little deeper and ended up punching a few holes for the tent and two more for the tip-ups. We tried everything from smelts on treble hooks to jigs tipped with smelts or minnows. The water is so murky! I have never fished in water like that before...I have no idea how the fish can even see in that stuff. It looked like weak tea with milk added. Well we fished for a few hours and didn't even get a bite.

The one positive part of the day was that this was the first time I used the hunting blind as a fishing tent. It worked great and my dad and I were comfortable in there. It was a pretty cold day so the Little Buddy heater that I just bought off of Dark Aisling got a tryout. It was just perfect for size and did an admirable job keeping us warm. Without that tent and that heater, we would've been screwed. I'll post a pic tomorrow.

As for Bruce Lake, I think I'd like to give it another try...but I'll wait for spring for that attempt.:(

pikester
01-03-2010, 09:34 PM
Thanks for the update since Bruce was on my short list for tomorrow:rolleyes: I have never fished it in the winter but have hit it with the flyrod & pontoon boat in early summer. Lots of hammer handles & smaller because some of those fish were so small they couldn't eat my streamers!

CeeZee
01-04-2010, 07:23 AM
we were there on boxing day, never had a bite and were out there for about 3 1/2 or 4 hours, we were south east of the berm close to the big hill, there was about 10 to 12 FOW, could see 6 inches down the hole, never go back for ice fishing but was sure nice to get out there. Bro's friend says there is about 25 to 30 FOW on the south end.
We have fished there in the summer with loads of fish and fun, nothing big but big numbers.

Triple Threat
01-04-2010, 08:24 AM
The deepest spot we found when we were trolling all over the second lake was 12'. never came across anything deeper.

pecker
01-04-2010, 08:27 PM
The deepest spot we found when we were trolling all over the second lake was 12'. never came across anything deeper.

if your lucky enough to catch a keeper out of that cesspool. DON'T.:sick:

Drano
01-04-2010, 09:45 PM
If worse comes to worse at least you can eat the smelts.:lol::lol::wave:

CeeZee
01-04-2010, 11:04 PM
If worse comes to worse at least you can eat the smelts.:lol::lol::wave:
i would have but i was lucky enough to pack extra barley sandwiches to hold me over.

Jack&7
01-05-2010, 04:16 PM

Why do you say that, Pecker? Is there something wrong with the water?...mercury?....parasites?

What's the deal?

Paul C
01-05-2010, 04:57 PM
If worse comes to worse at least you can eat the smelts.:lol::lol::wave: I would include some weeds with those fried smelts. Thousand island dressing is good on weeds.:lol::evilgrin:

rustynailz
01-05-2010, 05:40 PM

Really? Summer or winter?

I've eaten several winter pike out of Bruce (maybe one out of every hundred fish you catch are legal), and they were just as good as any fish out of Badger or Newell or Keho or any other Alberta lake.

I don't know if I'd say the same in the summertime though.