PDA

View Full Version : Crossfield Ponds

Brodie Buck
01-04-2010, 03:34 PM
Looking to get the kidlets out for some hardwater fishing. Was wondering if anyone has been to the Crossfield ponds? How thick the ice? If it is worth going? Or should we just head down to Chain Lakes? Any info would be very much appreciated!!

Cheers,

The Fisherman Guy
01-04-2010, 03:55 PM
Hello BB,

Ice should be good to go out at Crossfield, we are driving on the ice on the prairie lakes close by. Always check the ice depth before you drive on tho!

I would skip Crossfield and head to Pine Coulee Reservoir (West of Stavely) for the kids. The fish are in huge numbers down there, and they will have a blast learning to catch them.

Chain is windy, and the fish are all quite small.

Good luck!

Sir. Kenneth
01-04-2010, 04:54 PM
We were out on Crossfield ponds the day of the big storm about a month ago and there was already 6" of ice then so im sure there is a lot more now. We were only out for about 3 hours got 1 about 2 lbs then a couple more bites immediately after and then it was dead for the rest of the day. Probably worth a try i would say.

fishstix
01-04-2010, 05:32 PM
hey BB
I would be carful on the crossfeild ponds. Its fed by an underwater spring so there is a slight current under the ice. It may be thin. I think it says on the sign at the pond that there is no ice fishing allowed. Also that pond gets fished clean usually. At the end of last season the fish were few and far between. That said however i have caught and released a 18 inch bow in there. Im sure its gone now. It gets 1500 bows or so stocked usually may or june. but it gets heavy pressure during the summer as there is nothing else to do in crossfield. Get there as soon as they stock it, your kids will love it.
Fishstix!!

Sir. Kenneth
01-05-2010, 11:37 AM
Actually i do believe the sign says Ice Fish at your own risk but i could be wrong? The pond does get a ton of pressure and unfortunately i think a lot of poachers in the summer!!! :mad3: There is an underwater spring though so i would be careful on the ice.

fishstix
01-05-2010, 08:29 PM
Actually i do believe the sign says Ice Fish at your own risk but i could be wrong? The pond does get a ton of pressure and unfortunately i think a lot of poachers in the summer!!! :mad3: There is an underwater spring though so i would be careful on the ice.
Ya do it at your own risk at the crossfeild pond, its the sarcee pond down the road that has no ice fishing. Go Canada go
5-5 overtime time about to start!!!