PDA

View Full Version : mcgregor lake

bryanfewchuk
01-04-2010, 09:50 PM
i went out there for the past two weekends and haven't been that successful. fishing on the north end by the boat launch. we got a few tiny pike and one decent walleye. anybody have steady action over there lately?

jusfloatin
01-05-2010, 07:05 AM
Me and a buddy were there a couple of weeks ago.
Buddy was using large minnows on a Memps for the dead stick and a large minnow on a jig. He says the two are his main stay with good results every time. Not that day only a nibble. Personaly I thought the minnows were a little big being this lake is more know for smaller pike.

I was jigging a Rapala rattling rap, jigs with power bait minnows ( flouresent orange/ white)
Tip up had jigs and PB orange minnows

The power bait was the only one that would get nibbles and bite but only one ended up out of the hole.

We were hoping to fish the canal instead of the lake but we got stuck 50' from the canal. I had to flag down a car and ask if she knew anyone with a tractor to get us out.
As it turned out this kind lady worked in the bank in Milo for 33 years, she knew everyone.
She told me to jump in and she will get me a tractor.
We headed into Milo and just before the town on the crest of the hill there is a farm house on the left side of the highway. We drove in there she told me his name and said go ask him. I have forgot his name but not his help.
This kind gentleman asked if we had a chain and we did. He asked where we were and imediately pointed the tractor towards the canal.
I am sure the fact of who's car I got out did help but I would rather like to think he would of help us anyway.
Sorry for the extra part of the post but I wanted to mention the help we recieved. Neither of these people would not accept one dime.

WayneChristie
01-05-2010, 07:36 AM
if you just gear up for little pike in Mac, you might want to reconsider :D

70chevy
01-05-2010, 07:41 AM
if you just gear up for little pike in Mac, you might want to reconsider

x2

jusfloatin
01-05-2010, 07:52 AM
if you just gear up for little pike in Mac, you might want to reconsider :D

Excuse me Wayne but you were the one that gave me the impression that all there was to be had were hammer handles. It was a while back but it stuck with me.

If I am wrong my appoligy.

Newspeak
01-05-2010, 10:04 AM
I wouldn't worry too much about the pike bait being too large.

I've seen tiny pike take very large lures/bait. Plus, if you only fish for little fish, then thats all you will catch.

jusfloatin
01-05-2010, 11:51 AM
I wouldn't worry too much about the pike bait being too large.

I've seen tiny pike take very large lures/bait. Plus, if you only fish for little fish, then thats all you will catch.

So big fish don't bite small hooks/lures, bait.

Newspeak
01-05-2010, 01:37 PM
Use what you want.

Big pike will sometimes ignore small bait because its not worth thier energy. More so in winter when they are more lethargic.

Wasn't trying to put anyone down, just giving my $0.02.

bryanfewchuk
01-05-2010, 05:50 PM
i caught a 2lb pike in the elbow river last year and it had a 1lb rainbow in its stomach whole. that was pretty crazy. thanks for the advice guys. i was under the impression that there was some big pike in mcgregor. but i must have been mislead. how about badger? anyone caught nice ones out of there this year?

WayneChristie
01-05-2010, 07:10 PM
nope wasnt me, I havent fished Mac for years. Ive seen some pretty big fish come out of there, including some impressive rainbows too.

DuckBrat
01-05-2010, 07:31 PM
14 pound pike on marmooshka 1/16 ounce larva 3.5 pound test. Sometimes the big one will take the tiniest hooks on those really slow days.

Sir Landsalot
01-05-2010, 07:57 PM
Personaly I thought the minnows were a little big being this lake is more know for smaller pike.

Hardly! There are some big Gators in there for certain, ya just have to know where to find em'!!

clarki
01-06-2010, 05:41 PM
I target walleyes at MacG and have hit it up the last 3 weekends in a row. we got 7 'eyes on day 1, only 1 on the 2nd outing then new years day we had a frustrating time as the bite was on but the hits were so soft and chewy, when I set the hook nothing there. tried all the tricks but I didnt have stinger hooks which would have helped hook em up. there is a consistent walleye bite there all winter if you know where they like to be come 3-7 pm or so. there are definitely a lot of small pike there too but dont be fooled. MacG has some donkeys in there.

M

pikester
01-06-2010, 07:06 PM
Wasn't the previous Alberta record pike, (before the Keho fish) caught at MacGregor? Must be a few monsters in there, lots of shallow areas, deep spots, & yummy fish food for them!

RiverRat
01-06-2010, 07:51 PM
I don't know about those other guys but I have pulled three pike well over 14 lbs out this fall.
1st fish 38" 16.76 lbs
2nd fish 37.25" 15lbs
3rd fish 41" 19.5lbs" my 9 year old daughter caught this one"

So as for this lake not having big fish bull***t,maybe they like catching the hammer handle or thats all they can catch!!! Keep on fishing try going south off the causway. All the best:tongue2:

WayneChristie
01-06-2010, 07:56 PM
I don't know about those other guys but I have pulled three pike well over 14 lbs out this fall.
1st fish 38" 16.76 lbs
2nd fish 37.25" 15lbs
3rd fish 41" 19.5lbs" my 9 year old daughter caught this one"

So as for this lake not having big fish bull***t,maybe they like catching the hammer handle or thats all they can catch!!! Keep on fishing try going south off the causway. All the best:tongue2:

dont know who that was directed at, but I for one have never said there are only small pike in there.

pikester
01-06-2010, 09:07 PM
dont know who that was directed at, but I for one have never said there are only small pike in there.

Ya right Wayne, it has been decided to make you the instigator of this argument:evilgrin:!

Wulfespirit
01-06-2010, 09:58 PM
There are only small pike in MacGregor.

What about this? :cool:

jusfloatin
01-07-2010, 05:47 AM
Thanks Wulfespirit

WayneChristie
01-07-2010, 07:20 AM
What about this? :cool:

where did you find that? Ive never posted that as far as I know, Id like to see the whole thread please since Im taking the blame. and if IM wrong I will apologize

Wulfespirit
01-07-2010, 08:31 AM
I'm sorry - that's classified. :D

pikester
01-07-2010, 08:51 AM
where did you find that? Ive never posted that as far as I know, Id like to see the whole thread please since Im taking the blame. and if IM wrong I will apologize

TREASON....ARREST THIS MAN!!!!!!! Great Wayne, next they will find out you were with the Oilers on New Year's Eve & were one of the guys who didn't pay his bill:evilgrin::evilgrin::evilgrin:

WayneChristie
01-07-2010, 08:51 AM
I'm sorry - that's classified. :D

of course, so its BS, not enough crap posts in here so you have to start more trouble. Got noting better to do with your time?

Wulfespirit
01-07-2010, 09:22 AM
Woah there, Nelly... someone pee-pee in your corn flakes this morning? Sorry for ruining your week!

WayneChristie
01-07-2010, 09:49 AM
Woah there, Nelly... someone pee-pee in your corn flakes this morning? Sorry for ruining your week!

you are putting MY name to something I didnt post as far as I know, thats a problem with me. you dont have the guts to post the thread, because Im sure you made it up. I have no use for troublemakers. clear it up or shut the hell up

Wulfespirit
01-07-2010, 09:52 AM
you are putting MY name to something I didnt post as far as I know, thats a problem with me. you dont have the guts to post the thread, because Im sure you made it up. I have no use for troublemakers. clear it up or shut the hell up

Of course it was a joke, Wayne. Meant to be funny. And should it have completely gone over someone else's head as it did over yours, how exactly would it have caused trouble? It's not like we're discussing the cure for cancer here.

WayneChristie
01-07-2010, 09:58 AM
Of course it was a joke, Wayne. Meant to be funny. And should it have completely gone over someone else's head as it did over yours, how exactly would it have caused trouble? It's not like we're discussing the cure for cancer here.

you making up posts in other peoples names isnt trouble? maybe in your books, but I take offence to people putting words in my mouth, maybe in the future you should keep your postings under your own name. I dont find it funny.

Wulfespirit
01-07-2010, 10:05 AM
I'll promise not to slander you so horribly again as long as you promise to get some more fiber in your diet.

WayneChristie
01-07-2010, 10:08 AM
I'll promise not to slander you so horribly again as long as you promise to get some more fiber in your diet.

anyone told you yet today? consider yourself told.

RiverRat
01-07-2010, 05:58 PM
It was just a freindly jab to the hammer handle lovers. No harm was intended, so please don't take it that way.:wave:

WayneChristie
01-07-2010, 06:06 PM
River rat mind your own business. he posted something using my name not yours. No one has the right to fake posts in other peoples names, I dont care if it was in fun or not.

RiverRat
01-07-2010, 06:14 PM
Hey Wanye, I didn't know Sorry about that. That's not cool playing around like that, is there not security for that on this site? Cheers

iliketrout
01-07-2010, 07:03 PM
Anyone can edit a quote and make it look legit.

Anyone can edit a quote and make it look legit. No way to stop that.