PDA

View Full Version : Pigeon Lake Floaters

Rockymtnx
07-30-2007, 10:29 AM
I was just wondering if someone could tell me about summer kill of whitefish. On Sunday I was out at the lake and was shocked to see how many dead whitefish were floating around. I easily seen 40 + floaters. I seen one that was still alive that would have been a 4-1/2 lber.

-NDN-
07-30-2007, 12:49 PM
oh wow, got any pics? maybe sheephunter will know, hes a pigeon lake junkie:D

dugh
07-30-2007, 01:00 PM
The Wife and I were at Beaver Lake on Sat. Lots of big whites floating, some were still twitching.Not sure but it could be blue green algae. Water very green with a lot of lily pad size algae floating with what looked like mold on it. Would be interested to find out what it is.
Doug

sheephunter
07-30-2007, 01:28 PM
I know this is not an uncommon summertime phenom but I'm sure one of the governmemnt boys could explain it in much better detail than I'd ever hope too. Give the Red Deer office a call.

-NDN-
07-30-2007, 02:11 PM
i suppose the same thing is happening at Gull lake??? anyone know?

Rockymtnx
07-30-2007, 02:45 PM
Well I just gave Vance at Red Deer a call. Apparently I wasn't the first one to call today. The Wetaskiwin SRD boys had already gave him the heads up.

Vance told me that the large kill off is likely caused by a lack of oxygen. As the water temperature rises then there is less oxygen that will dissolve into it. Apparently whitefish have a much lower tolerance than the other species in Pigeon. Around here we have been running in the 25 - 36 degree temperature range for 4 weeks. So the hot temps have brought the water temperature up and there has been very little rain or cool nights to bring it down. In the shallow waters some water has reached as high as 25 degrees.

I question him about the large amount of blue-green algae. He said that algae kill off is not usually as common on large bodies of water. Usually the algae kill off is caused when there is a large bloom and it all dies off. When the algae dies off, it has to decompose causing problems for the fish.

Rockymtnx
07-30-2007, 02:46 PM
NDN - If I have time I will try to get some pics to post later this week.

Walleyes
07-30-2007, 03:05 PM
I hear that on some of the reservoirs down in the Hat area that the shores are getting pretty ugly with dead Perch... The water is getting pretty warm... We are drawing water out of the main canal coming out of Crawling Valley and the water temp is 26 deg ...

Doc Holiday
07-30-2007, 03:06 PM
Was at Gull all wknd, never saw 40+, but fer sure saw some, lake is really warm, so probably same thing.

Neil Waugh
07-30-2007, 07:32 PM
I was at the PP on Saturday. There were floaters alright. But they were all suckers excpt for one wally which was probably C and R'ed one too many times.

Versatile
07-30-2007, 07:58 PM
Lots out at Keho bullshead and Nicholas Sheran as well.

Kootenai Killer
07-31-2007, 09:04 PM
It is sad to see....but thats nature! I remember last summer on Buck Lake there was a huge Whitefish kill. I think they said it was from the large blue green algae bloom and the toxins it produced as well as the low oxygen levels from when the algae started to decompose. Like others have said I think all the hot weather is the culprit.
I'm sure glad that we have an opportunity to keep some walleye out of Pigeon now with the special harvest licences. I just wish we could get more...My wife and i have used all 6 of our tags already!

Northern Cranker
07-31-2007, 09:20 PM
Definately lack of O2 from the summer sun, it was explained to me like an oil worker walking into sour gas. The fish just swin into areas with no O2 and die pretty quick, Kootenai hit it on the head.
Can't wait to put in for Pigeon next year, maybe they should try that tag thing with Calling Lake if it is a success down in Pigeon.
Food for thought.

clarki
08-01-2007, 10:15 AM
saw 3 dead whiteys at Travers on sunday as well. down here in lethbridge we've had multiple 33-36 degree days. hasnt rained hardly a drop in at least 2 months. the small rivers and creeks are going to start suffering soon if not already. hope august brings some cooler and wet days..... on a positive note, the walleyes were fighting hard and looking healthy at Travers. later

M

sportster
08-02-2007, 10:30 AM
100's of dead whites at rattlesnake lake west of med hat, co's are saying dangerous water temps resulting in low oxygen levels

Supermag
08-02-2007, 11:23 AM
I heard Long Lake by Boyle is suffering too. Hundreds of dead Whitefish:sick: