PDA

View Full Version : Wireworms

bigmac
01-06-2010, 11:22 AM
Anyone know where to get some wire to make some wireworms. All the new phone cords that I take apart have some sort of stiff plastic material over them and they won't wrap around a hook! I used to have a bunch I got from an uncle that worked for telus but apparently it got misplaced when I moved (wife threw it out I'm sure) :tongue2: Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

AlbertaAngler
01-06-2010, 11:44 AM
Fly fishing shops have wire in lots of different colours and diameters

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
01-06-2010, 12:12 PM
Pm sent .

keljay
01-06-2010, 12:32 PM
Try a crafting store ie. Michaels if you live near a city. That's where I found mine.

lifesaflyin
01-06-2010, 12:33 PM
I had a pair of headphones I drove over with my chair. that wire contained an awsome looking red, blue and copper. the wire was coated not sheathed. if you have a keyboard or mouse that is garbage or not using, the wire works well out of those too. I think stove pipe or bailing wire? its a 1/2- 1 mm thick workes good and buy a small jar of hobby shop paint and paint it.

if that fails you can buy a spool in the flyfishing equipment in all colors.

Rainbow
01-06-2010, 12:47 PM
Hey bigmac,
If you live around Edmonton(northside) send me a pm.
I have lots
Rainbow

pecker
01-06-2010, 06:32 PM
Anyone know where to get some wire to make some wireworms. All the new phone cords that I take apart have some sort of stiff plastic material over them and they won't wrap around a hook! I used to have a bunch I got from an uncle that worked for telus but apparently it got misplaced when I moved (wife threw it out I'm sure) :tongue2: Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

exept for the thrill of making your own and bragging rights -- why would you when you can get them at wss for 3 for a buck. how many do you lose.:confused: :wave:

lucaslogan
01-06-2010, 06:53 PM
exept for the thrill of making your own and bragging rights -- why would you when you can get them at wss for 3 for a buck. how many do you lose.:confused: :wave:

Stop any Telus truck you see or stop in at any directional drilling outfit and they are sure to have a chunk of 100 to 600 pair that they will gladly give you................Hope this helps............. Also stop at any new subdivison that they are putting services in and they will give you a chunk of cable

pecker
01-06-2010, 07:09 PM
Stop any Telus truck you see or stop in at any directional drilling outfit and they are sure to have a chunk of 100 to 600 pair that they will gladly give you................Hope this helps............. Also stop at any new subdivison that they are putting services in and they will give you a chunk of cable

no no no -- we're talking wire here -- not cable . no JAWS in alberta.:D:wave:

Rainbow
01-06-2010, 08:14 PM
no no no -- we're talking wire here -- not cable . no JAWS in alberta.:D:wave:

When Telus is installing new service into a subdivision,the wire is enclosed inside black plastic.Also the telephone wires on the old poles in subdivions are also enclosed inside plastic coating.
There could be up to 500 different colored wires depending on the size of the cable.
Rainbow

bigmac
01-07-2010, 11:32 AM
Thanks for the tips guys. I tore apart a few things last night and found some that will do just fine. There are some new subdivisions going in around here so I might stop by them and see if I can snag some wire there too. Also the reason that I want to make my own is that I prefer a different hook shape than most wireworms are made on. I find they hook better and I loose less fish. Plus this way when I am pulling fish out left right and center and my grandpa is getting skunked I can tell him why :lol:

Thanks again

keljay
01-07-2010, 12:43 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. I tore apart a few things last night and found some that will do just fine. There are some new subdivisions going in around here so I might stop by them and see if I can snag some wire there too. Also the reason that I want to make my own is that I prefer a different hook shape than most wireworms are made on. I find they hook better and I loose less fish. Plus this way when I am pulling fish out left right and center and my grandpa is getting skunked I can tell him why :lol:

Thanks again

What kind of shapes do you prefer if you don't mind sharing?

bigmac
01-07-2010, 12:57 PM
Rather than the straight shaft with hook bend at the bottom I like the curved shaft. When you set them sideways in the water the eyelet and the hook point are right across from each other. I find it hooks whites better. I think they are called circle hooks!