PDA

View Full Version : Access into Lake Newell - south side?

KJPFISH
01-06-2010, 03:10 PM
Has anyone been into the mouth of Big Rainer Draw (near Pelican Island) on Lake Newell in recent days? If so how is the access trail? It isn't good even in dry conditions let alone under drifted snow. I have a 4x4, but I just hate getting stuck, particualrly when I'm by myself. Any current Newell or Kitsum reports would also be greatly accepted!

Cheers!

KJPFISH

dennisb
01-06-2010, 04:10 PM
I was wondering the exact thing (Newell) right down to almost the exact location???
I fished Kitsum twice over the holidays and its fishing not to bad, i fished the far west end and was able to drive on just off the service road by the canal. there's about 18"-20" of ice. All the fish we caught were around 28" to 30" in about 4-5' of water, not sure if there is any deeper water there???

Not sure if you have noticed but they ( EID) have fenced alot of area on that road that goes east of the gas station towards the lake on the south end, not sure why unless they plan to graze cattle in there.

deerpig
01-06-2010, 05:03 PM
18 to 20? wow... Im seeing 12 at best where I have been.... Thats good to know though! I think alot of guys drive the lake across to the draw but with all this snow it could be a task plowing through drifts for that distance. Good Luck!

KJPFISH
01-07-2010, 07:54 PM
Bump - I'm still looking for current access info. I'm thinking of heading there on Sat. morning and without assurances I can access the south end, I will need to pick a different spot or lake. I'm not travelling all the way from Cowtown just to spend a few hours digging my self out of a badly snow drifted access trail.

Cheers.....

KJPFISH

Grizzly
01-07-2010, 08:28 PM
KJPFISH,

Unfortunately you may be out of luck. The South East has been hit hard with drifting snow today. I was out fishing and after 1hr i had a 3ft drift behind my tent...

I am sure the conditions will be the same at Newell. You'll be dealing with drifted snow unless a couple other vehicles pile drive their way in before you attempt it!

I would also like to get to Newel, but i know this area too well, and my truck is a little light to be getting through these drifts...

phoward
01-07-2010, 10:07 PM
i,m heading out to newell on saturday i,m loading both atv,s up they plow through the drifts pretty good drag all my stuff behind in the slay.i park at the boat lauch at the camp ground all have an extra atv with me if you no some good spots maybe we could hook up,i like to get there around 8am

d bowhunter
01-07-2010, 10:17 PM
Just wondering if any of you guys have any luck with the walleye in the winter, sounds like its pritty good for pike there but havent herd anyone say anything about the walleyes. I dont know the lake very well only fished it in the summer, last summer wasent very good for me there the lake was higher than the year before. Good luck to whoever goes there.

Fishfinder
01-07-2010, 10:33 PM
18 to 20? wow... Im seeing 12 at best where I have been.... Thats good to know though! I think alot of guys drive the lake across to the draw but with all this snow it could be a task plowing through drifts for that distance. Good Luck!

Nice work! Checked out ur site, good stuff there! Welcome to the forum as well. If u ever wanna hit up some fishies here around the Hat drop me a P.M.
Cheers:wave:

pikester
01-08-2010, 12:15 AM
Just wondering if any of you guys have any luck with the walleye in the winter, sounds like its pritty good for pike there but havent herd anyone say anything about the walleyes. I dont know the lake very well only fished it in the summer, last summer wasent very good for me there the lake was higher than the year before. Good luck to whoever goes there.

In my experience (which is certainly less than others here), the walleye can be hard to find & fickle on the best of days in the winter. I usually catch my walleyes in the winter while after pike & burbs & usually get a few on CVR, Gull, PCR, & Pine but I have NEVER nailed a walleye in the winter on Newell, even when specifically targeting them. Unless you can hook up with someone who knows the lake like the back of their hands I would suggest getting a bathymetric chart of the lake, find what looks like good structure, & drill about 70 holes then fish your butt off!

matathonman
01-08-2010, 06:51 AM
I think you should be able to get through to Raineer bay if your driving a 4x4. I was in there when there was more snow and drifts and made it no problem. I punched trail in a different spot with no problem either. If your worried bring a set of chains and you will crawl in like nothing.

KJPFISH
01-08-2010, 07:38 AM
Thanks for the info guys - I think I'll try somewhere else, perhaps Badger or CVR.

I also have 1 - 50+ cm tag left for Newell. The only location I have ever caught walleye at Newell through the ice is just west of the rock breakwall located within Kinbrook Prov. park. Both were caught on tip-ups using large smelts/sardines while fishing for pike in 12-20 feet of water. I have never specifically tried to target walleye during hardwater.

Good luck!

KJPFISH

Grizzly
01-08-2010, 11:56 AM
Nice work! Checked out ur site, good stuff there! Welcome to the forum as well. If u ever wanna hit up some fishies here around the Hat drop me a P.M.
Cheers:wave:

Fishfinder...
Brandon and i will be heading out sometime this weekend depending on his work schedual... Chances are we will be going to Grassy...
PM me if you are interested!

kevinhits
01-09-2010, 08:20 AM
Iwas just out at lake newell yesterday and tried accessing Rainer bay with a 4x4 and decided to turn back. I went then north a little bit off the boat launch and caught a 5lb walleye, 24" long. Biggest walleye I ever caught. I was using a smelt.