PDA

View Full Version : wabamun

pikehunter1989
01-08-2010, 10:17 AM
mooseknuckle(terry) and i headed out yesterday and it was great to meet someone from this page finally. got to the lake at about 9:15 and set up by 9:30 or so..by 10:15 terry had one decent size pike up the hole and than a second one about 10-15 mins later. after that we seen a school of perch come in and sniff around but quickly dispeared as we seen a MONSTER come in..im guessing he was in the 15-20 lb range..he took terrys line first but that fight lasted about 10 seconds and the fish pulled out ALL of his line on his reel (75 to 100 yards im guessing) it was the fastest ive seen a fish pull drag out. while he was putting new line on terrys buddy scott seen him back down the hole and took his line but shorty after snapped the line..he came in and played with my hook a bit but me being un patient i set the hook to fast and spooked him. after this is slowed down a bit and at around 2 or 3 terry got one on..he put up a hell of a fight and we got him through the hole..he was 12 lbs and had a identicle scar to the monster but i think he was still smaller..we snapped a few pictures and let him back down the hole..all in all terry was the only one to land anything and he caught 5 us other 2 caught nothing but was still a very exciting day of fishing..ill try and get some pics up later today

chrispee
01-08-2010, 10:34 AM
mooseknuckle(terry) and i headed out yesterday and it was great to meet someone from this page finally. got to the lake at about 9:15 and set up by 9:30 or so..by 10:15 terry had one decent size pike up the hole and than a second one about 10-15 mins later. after that we seen a school of perch come in and sniff around but quickly dispeared as we seen a MONSTER come in..im guessing he was in the 15-20 lb range..he took terrys line first but that fight lasted about 10 seconds and the fish pulled out ALL of his line on his reel (75 to 100 yards im guessing) it was the fastest ive seen a fish pull drag out. while he was putting new line on terrys buddy scott seen him back down the hole and took his line but shorty after snapped the line..he came in and played with my hook a bit but me being un patient i set the hook to fast and spooked him. after this is slowed down a bit and at around 2 or 3 terry got one on..he put up a hell of a fight and we got him through the hole..he was 12 lbs and had a identicle scar to the monster but i think he was still smaller..we snapped a few pictures and let him back down the hole..all in all terry was the only one to land anything and he caught 5 us other 2 caught nothing but was still a very exciting day of fishing..ill try and get some pics up later today

Where were you guys fishing? I'm thinking of going on Saturday and I've never been to wabuman.

mooseknuckle
01-08-2010, 10:37 AM
Yeah piekhunter pretty good day. Easy for me to say I suppose:lol: Yeah I couldn't believe how quick that thing took my line. Lesson learned on that one and at the end of the day I still won I think it was the same fish that scar right in the middle of it's back was a perfect nickle size circle. Either that or one heck of a coincidence. Had not only good luck on the ice but I've met yet another great guy to fish with. If I may a little public service anouncment those of you who fish wab often please bare with me. First off bring the appropriate gear ie. a good pike rod with min 12lb test. It was pure luck I got that big guy in with a POS berkley ice hot $4 walmart rod!! 2nd bring more than a 6" auger didn't need to measure the girth on the big one do the math diameter x 3.14 18.84" and it was a tight squeeze, once again pure luck! 3rd especially for the newbies. If your going out at the main pier "wab" DO NOT DRIVE ice was horrible 4" then 2" air pocket then maybe 1-2" of ice. I digress and sit here waiting for pikehunter to post the pics:lol:

pikehunter1989
01-08-2010, 10:49 AM
how do you upload pics on here?

chrispee
01-08-2010, 10:57 AM
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=15456

pikehunter1989
01-08-2010, 11:02 AM
12 lb'r
12 lb'r
12 lb'r
12 lb'r
the smallest one of the day

pikehunter1989
01-08-2010, 11:05 AM
btw the little dinky rod in there is yes in fact the rod that he landed that fish on lol

pikehunter1989
01-08-2010, 11:44 AM
Yeah I couldn't believe how quick that thing took my line. Lesson learned on that one and at the end of the day I still won I think it was the same fish that scar right in the middle of it's back was a perfect nickle size circle.

im going to toss on my summer reel on my stiffer rod and im thinkin 15 lb test next time i think

mooseknuckle
01-08-2010, 11:49 AM
Yeah no doubt I mean although for me that's my biggest out of there. Many of folks from this forum have caught alot bigger!! DOn't think that light gear will hold up and it would be a heartbreaker to lose a 20+ lber. The 6" auger concerns me to but I think I can remidy that before the next outing. Which by the way to those interested we're shooting for next wednesday (jan 13). So ditch work or call in sick and get your butts out there!:wave:

pikehunter1989
01-08-2010, 11:53 AM
ya most definatly glad i went out yesterday..just gotta remember the brew next time lol

Newspeak
01-08-2010, 12:03 PM
Nice Pike! Congrats on your catch!

doublehaul
01-08-2010, 12:14 PM
Wow ! And through a six inch hole, nice work

pikehunter1989
01-08-2010, 12:17 PM
ya there wasnt a hole lot of room to spare..getting him started up the hole was the harder part

chrispee
01-08-2010, 12:51 PM
Drool

thorne
01-08-2010, 07:09 PM
Woooo! Wooo!! you da man moose!!! Glad the auger worked for you, just wish it was bigger......OK Im leaving that alone from here on in.......

AlbertaOutdoorsmen19
01-08-2010, 08:56 PM
Just a question , What were you catching them on?

pikehunter1989
01-08-2010, 08:58 PM
6-8 inch smelt and just a treble or single hook..nothing fancy

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
01-09-2010, 01:36 AM
Well done fella's , well on your way to a good throphy . 3 years ago I witnessed a Monster Pike take down a Canadian goose right by the marina there . About 3 minutes of splashing and feathers no more goose . Alberta Record defenetly swims these waters , as well as Sylvan as I know theres some monsters there aswell . Thats where Sylvan spinners Molly is :D:D:D:D

eternal fisherman
01-09-2010, 04:04 AM
Wabamun is well on it's way to being a trophy lake. I've been fishing there for about 15 years now, and it just keeps getting better. It sounds odd to say, but the oil spill was good for the lake. Since then, the effort into cleanup has been huge, where there was no effort before. The size and quantity of fish has steadily increased every year. I always fish the same spot from shore, and it just keeps getting better. The zero keep limit is great. I hope they keep it that way. We're catching monsters out of there now and throwing them back to get bigger. The average size I was catching for pike out of there this summer was 5-7lbs. Very rare to get one smaller. I caught one from shore 19.8lbs, my buddy caught an 18 pounder, and heard lots of similar stories this year. I have pics of mine, but for some reason I can't upload.

mooseknuckle
01-09-2010, 07:29 AM
Woooo! Wooo!! you da man moose!!! Glad the auger worked for you, just wish it was bigger......OK Im leaving that alone from here on in.......

Ahhh thorne another first class dude yeah man thanks again for the auger it cut great man those blades are sharp you wern't kidding. I think it will be with me for along time I might just have to use a bigger one out at wab, said before I'll say it again it would be such a heartbreaker to get one to hole and not be able to get him on the ice:wave: And we all know there's monsters in there mine is small compared to whats in there, I'm stoked cuz that is my biggest throught the ice on crap gear and a 6" holes

WayneChristie
01-09-2010, 07:33 AM
nice fish! I think pike thru the ice are best, anything else you can pretty much jam your arm down their throat to haul them out, but pike, gotta be some kind of crazy to do that :D always the best part, turning them at the hole.