PDA

View Full Version : Need ice auger advice

sparky660
01-09-2010, 11:21 PM
I am looking to buy a new ice auger on Monday and have narrowed it down to a couple of choices. I am looking at the Jiffy 3hp Stealth STX and the Jiffy 3hp standard. Is it worth the extra $50.00 to upgrade to the STX. Should I go 8" or 10"?

albertadeer
01-09-2010, 11:24 PM
I got a stealth stx this year, good auger....though its all plastic and my gearbox already has a huge crack in it, i would recommend NOT getting a jiffy...ever...unless its a old one

sparky660
01-09-2010, 11:30 PM
does the standard have a plastic gearbox? Probably so.

mayuan
01-09-2010, 11:34 PM
I just copy and paste my last responce to this question.

I guess I will put in my two cents....

StrikeMaster 10" Lazer Mag Power Auger is running a German engine on a Swedish auger blade. When I was looking for an auger this year this is the one I bought. From what I was reading the Jiffy is using a new chinese motor not the old reliable techumsa engine (techumsa went out of buisness). And the other augers just didn't feel right. The only issue I had with the auger before I bought it was the plastic on it. Then I found out what it was, Tufflite Dupont Zytel, the same stuff used on a lot of military equiptment to bring the weight down. And that is a good thing!

As far as using the unit, I have drilled about 100 holes with no issues. The shaft bolt loosens after about 30 holes and needs to be tightened. My auger also starts and runs at -20C better than I do.

Almost forgot, the unit is lighter then most other units.

I hope this helps.....

sparky660
01-09-2010, 11:42 PM
How much and where can I find one mayuan?

deanmc
01-09-2010, 11:47 PM
http://www.strikemaster.com/dealers/canada.html

Canadian dealers and contact info.:wave:

sparky660
01-09-2010, 11:51 PM
I see WSS has them for sale for $519 any other places in Edmonton that carries them?

deanmc
01-09-2010, 11:54 PM
:huh:

sparky660
01-09-2010, 11:56 PM
Do they carry them at the Fishing Hole? Who other than WSS carries the augers?

ceedub
01-09-2010, 11:57 PM
My "Magnum Plus" by Strikemaster was purchased in 1990 at The Fishing Hole in Edmonton and my two buddies with their Jiffies laughed at me when I bought it. Today, those same buddies (one is on his third Jiffy auger since then) couldn't believe it when the "Magnum" started on the first pull and cut 20 holes effortlessly. Great product and one of the best pieces of equipment I ever purchased.

Craig

mayuan
01-09-2010, 11:57 PM
The auger is avalible at Wholesale sports and BassPro. The cost at Basspro is about $460.00. As far as Wholesale Sports goes the price will be about $50-$100 more, but they should price match.

sparky660
01-10-2010, 12:04 AM
Thanks for the help. I will be in Edmonton Monday to do some shopping. If anyone has any other ideas let me know.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
01-10-2010, 12:12 AM
Do they carry them at the Fishing Hole? Who other than WSS carries the augers?

GO See Kevin and the Boys down at the South side location 51 ave and 91 st . They will recommend to you the Eskimos Stingray supposed to be one of the best augers on the market right now as for durability. But cant beat an old Jiffy .

rustynailz
01-10-2010, 05:46 AM
Another vote for Strikemaster...I love my Lazer Mag Express.

If you poke around on youtube there's a video where a guy cuts two and a half holes with the lazer mag express before a guy with a Jiffy gets through once.

dodger
01-10-2010, 06:42 AM
The "my auger is better than the other auger" story goes on and on and on. Every winter it's the same so here is my $0.02 worth on the subject. My first auger was a Strikemaster Magnum. It started on the first pull out of the box and every time I went to use it, problem was I had to order 2 extra gears for the gearbox each fall before ice fishing season because it blew the gears twice a year. So enough of that cr%& and off I went to buy a Jiffy 30. Now it starts in 2 - 200 pulls depending on what mood it's in that day and temperature has nothing to do with it?? But I have had it for 4 years and the transmission and auger work like a damn when it wants to run.

So here's the best bet, go and buy one of each, then attach the power unit from the Strikemaster to the Jiffy transmission and auger and your set for life. It only makes sense to me !!!.

My next option after the Jiffy gives me a stroke or heart attack will be hydraulics. I will have to get a jack hammer and power pack. It may be a little heavy but she will get threw the ice.

Dodger.

lone wolf
01-10-2010, 07:52 AM
GO See Kevin and the Boys down at the South side location 51 ave and 91 st . They will recommend to you the Eskimos Stingray supposed to be one of the best augers on the market right now as for durability. But cant beat an old Jiffy .

The Eskimos are also carried by Peavey Mart.

WayneChristie
01-10-2010, 07:55 AM
I believe Peavey Mart has augers on sale right now

thorne
01-10-2010, 08:48 AM
Can't say i know much about the new Jiffy..I bought mine last year 2 horse stealth STX..and as mentioned, runs great..my point is, do you want the extra weight of the 3 horse, and do you need it...I run synthetic and it flies through the ice with an 8 inch blade...I know alot of guys run 3 horse, and Im sure its fine, but at least take it into consideration. It is a hell of alot lighter, and does the same job. Last weekend a few guys auger crapped out and they borrowed mine and they couldn't beliove how light it was and how fast it drilled..again one more consideration...happy shopping!

Mayhem
01-10-2010, 04:26 PM
Have you actually used this auger? I was going to buy a Jiffy but after trying out a Strikemaster LazerMag Express that is what I went with, it's 2.5 horse and lighter. Yeah, the Jiffy spins a little faster but all that seems to accomplish is soaking you from the knees down after 6 holes. Then there is the motor, still not sure who or where the Jiffy power is made.

Most of the time 8" is plenty, you can buy the 10" auger alone seperately.