PDA

View Full Version : Travers Reservoir, Saturday 09/01/2010

Drano
01-10-2010, 11:59 AM
Well four of us went out to Travers yesterday. My son Jason, Pecker, World Wide and myself. We went there to specifically target white fish. My son Jason and I had never been there before, so this was going to be a new experience for us.
We arrived around 9am and got everything set up rather quickly. The weather wasn't to bad other than the high winds. World Wide did a great job drilling all of the holes,(straight for a change).
The access to get on the ice was great, there were lots of other people out there already. One guy even had a fifth wheel trailer parked on the ice.
Pecker had told me before about fishing for white fish; how you have to keep your eyes on your wire worm down the hole. He said it was just like looking into a huge aquarium. Well he was dead on the money, I was totally amazed how clear the water was. We saw a few fish swim by and that really got the juices flowing. I had my sonar with us, (or toy) as World Wide calls it. There were a few fish showing on it every now and then, but nothing to write home about.
We stayed until 16:00 and had to get going. The only one to catch a white fish all day was Pecker, but even at that it was still a GREAT day.
Just curious if any other members were out there and if so I hope all of you had a Great day.

Maybe next time the fish will be biting better. Even though we only got one it is always fun to get out with friends and have some fun.

Drano...:wave::wave:

tchow
01-10-2010, 09:34 PM
I was setup right inbetween the Spillway in about 10 FOW. As soon as I dropped down with Jig and Minnow, had a big red mark on my Marcum. Didn't take long and it hit. Hoping it was an Eye but it was fat Snot rocket about
7-8 lbs.( had a partially digested White that was maybe a pound.)
Thought that we might be off on a great day. Checked my deadstcik and felt abit heavier coming up. About 1 ft from the hole, a Crawfish let go of the Minnow and swam back down for freedom... It was good size one about 7" or so.
I got the UW Camera Setup to see what was swimming around. The Crawfish was still around and trying to get the Minnow. Managed to get some good footage on Camcorder. It gave up ( or I did..LOL) after 10 minutes or so. There was another Crawfish in the area but much smaller and stayed out of reach of the bigger one.
Had another Pike come in and take the Jig and Minnow but missed the hook set. That really stirred up the bottom. Did see a small Perch swim by also but no Whites. Packed up finally around 3ish with 1 Pike on the Ice..
Surprised to see that Crayfish are starting to show up more at Travers.
Last year when we launched at Newell in June and there was a lot of Crawfish Claws on the road..

MoFugger21
01-11-2010, 08:24 AM
Ya, was out there on Saturday also. The weather was alright, pretty windy but not ridiculously cold. The fishing was meh. Not much action all day. We managed 2 pike (1 keeper), 1 ling, and a tiny little walleye about 8 inches long. So it wasn't a total waste of a day. But a bad day fishing is better than any day working.

the local angler
01-11-2010, 05:35 PM
even though i have read a few posts of travers being slow i am still tempted to venture down this week out of curiousity.

pecker
01-11-2010, 07:06 PM
Well four of us went out to Travers yesterday. My son Jason, Pecker, World Wide and myself. We went there to specifically target white fish. My son Jason and I had never been there before, so this was going to be a new experience for us.
We arrived around 9am and got everything set up rather quickly. The weather wasn't to bad other than the high winds. World Wide did a great job drilling all of the holes,(straight for a change).
The access to get on the ice was great, there were lots of other people out there already. One guy even had a fifth wheel trailer parked on the ice.
Pecker had told me before about fishing for white fish; how you have to keep your eyes on your wire worm down the hole. He said it was just like looking into a huge aquarium. Well he was dead on the money, I was totally amazed how clear the water was. We saw a few fish swim by and that really got the juices flowing. I had my sonar with us, (or toy) as World Wide calls it. There were a few fish showing on it every now and then, but nothing to write home about.
We stayed until 16:00 and had to get going. The only one to catch a white fish all day was Pecker, but even at that it was still a GREAT day.
Just curious if any other members were out there and if so I hope all of you had a Great day.

Maybe next time the fish will be biting better. Even though we only got one it is always fun to get out with friends and have some fun.

Drano...:wave::wave:

a good time was had by all . too bad the whites wern't moving -- but it was cheap entertainment with Drano & Worldwide . :lol: :wave:

Drano
01-13-2010, 07:14 PM
Too bad we don't have some sort of signs to recognize the other members out fishing.

Thanks for the replies.

tchow
01-13-2010, 09:14 PM
Too bad we don't have some sort of signs to recognize the other members out fishing.

Thanks for the replies.

I copied some of the logos off other Forums and printed them off. On my Clam Nanook, there is a plastic sleeve which is supposed to be a license holder. Have my name and these logos on the back of tent. If you see my tent with name and Logos, drop by to say hello..

Drano
01-15-2010, 04:55 AM
I copied some of the logos off other Forums and printed them off. On my Clam Nanook, there is a plastic sleeve which is supposed to be a license holder. Have my name and these logos on the back of tent. If you see my tent with name and Logos, drop by to say hello..

Good idea tchow, will look for this next time

Good fishing...