PDA

View Full Version : Rainbow pics from last Sunday!

noslack
01-11-2010, 07:14 PM
Couple co-workers and I met up at Tims at 6:45am. We grabbed coffee and off we were. Roads were nice all the way to the lake. This warm weather is sure helping! At the last "km" I spotted a cow and her calf. A quick stop and off to the lake we went.

We got to the lake and noticed a group of fishermen on the lake. So we drove on (away from them) and punched some holes. A row in 7 feet of water and a row in 13 feet of water.

I started jiggin in 13 feet of water with a Forage minnow tipped with a minnow's tail and within couple minutes my friend yells "Fish On!!!!" He was in 7 feet of water. So I keep on jiggin the 13 foot hole and again my friend yells "Fish On!!!" I moved over to the 7 foot row as soon as he poppep his fish out of the water.

Within minutes of changing over to the 7 foot row I managed to get a couple. Lots of 12 inchers caught, but these ones here are just a bit over :lol::lol: !! Enjoy!

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs194.snc3/20137_249155591506_515011506_3767310_93593_n.jpg

fisherwoman
01-11-2010, 07:17 PM
Nice fish. Thanks for sharing, glad to hear people are catching fish bigger than we were this weekend:lol: My biggest rainbow on Saturday was 8 inches:lol:

noslack
01-11-2010, 07:23 PM
With this weather....it doesn't matter if you catch any or not.

It's just great to be out!!!

goober
01-11-2010, 07:25 PM
Looks good!! Nice work noslack!!

dogboy
01-11-2010, 08:26 PM
just a question. whats is a good worth keeping rainbow size? and are the pothole ones worth eating?

noslack
01-11-2010, 08:43 PM
It all depends, some people like 12 inchers as for the ease of cooking in a pan.

I like baking my trout. so i prefer to keep bigger then 14 inch.

Just a side note, I just finished preparing the fish. and I found a whack load of black spots on the meat, to some areas that the meat is black.

Don't eat the fish from Chain Lakes. They are dirty!

Wulfespirit
01-11-2010, 09:21 PM
Noticed that early in the season too. Those parasites -should- die out and disappear sometime before spring (they don't survive long term in fish flesh). However by mid summer they'll be back unfortunately as long as the water conditions stay right for it... Chain never used to have fish with the black spot parasite but I suspect dropping water levels over the past couple of years have brought it on.

Walleyes
01-12-2010, 04:30 AM
Good ones,, hope you enjoyed them..

unclebuck
01-12-2010, 05:19 AM
It is a type of fluke, found in snails. The snails are eaten by blue herons, the remnants of which are excreted in the water, while the heron is wading. The parasite is then picked up by the trout and embed in the skin and work themselves into the flesh. Apparently they are not harmful to humans, but the cosmetic appeal of the flesh is definitely lacking.