PDA

View Full Version : Elkwater

Grizzly
01-12-2010, 12:06 AM
Hey all,
Seems to me alot of people forget about Elkwater. As a kid i used to catch some 8-10lbers right at the Marina/Boat launch...
Anyone Icefish it at all?

It may be a good lake to get out of this Misserable wind we have been dealing with...

Fishfinder
01-12-2010, 12:55 AM
Will fish it soon. Call me a dreamer but I like to think most forgotten lakes still have some lunkers in them. We jus gotta find em!

madatter
01-12-2010, 12:57 AM
Hey all,
Seems to me alot of people forget about Elkwater. As a kid i used to catch some 8-10lbers right at the Marina/Boat launch...
Anyone Icefish it at all?

It may be a good lake to get out of this Misserable wind we have been dealing with...

Oh it gets plenty windy on there....summer and winter.
Fish outta there are lacking in size now,you may catch the odd fish over 5lbs but most would be considered hammerhandles on other lakes.
Would love to know where the supposed big perch hide in there tho....

deerpig
01-12-2010, 02:31 PM
I have heard the perch are in the 2 north bays?? not sure though...
but over looked, forgotten lakes have to have some good fish in them.... youd think? well i think so but agree, gotta find em! :tongue2:

gunner72
01-12-2010, 02:56 PM
My grampa and I used to catch huge perch threw the ice out there. We fished about 200 yards south of the north shore where those high hills are if you look striaght north from the boat lanch( If that makes any sence at all). It was deep there too, 30+ feet.12-14"ers !!

deerpig
01-12-2010, 04:49 PM
nice. good to know, we may head there in the next few weeks... hows the pike population, years ago we used to catch some big uns right at the boat dock. :innocent::evilgrin:

madatter
01-12-2010, 08:23 PM
nice. good to know, we may head there in the next few weeks... hows the pike population, years ago we used to catch some big uns right at the boat dock. :innocent::evilgrin:

Popution is OK,,,,,size not so much!!!
I can't remember the last time I saw a perch come outta there either....

deerpig
01-12-2010, 08:26 PM
biggest fish a day would top out at 5 lbs I assume??

madatter
01-12-2010, 10:28 PM
biggest fish a day would top out at 5 lbs I assume??

You will be lucky to catch a 5lber there.
I did find an 8lber dead and washed up on shore this summer while fishing it,never seen one that big come outta there......
Few and far between I'm afraid...

Riverview
01-13-2010, 04:29 PM
If you are going to give Elkwater a try stay clear of the north east shore especially off the east point. Big time gas pockets with open water the size of a truck at this time of year. There has been a couple trucks hit em a few years back. As far as perch go there are some footballs in there but very hard to catch as well as some brutal weather conditions.

madatter
01-13-2010, 05:00 PM
Took a look at Elkwater on the way back from Spruce today and it does not look like anybody has even punched a hole on the lake.
No vehicle access either....

Fishfinder
01-13-2010, 05:47 PM
Took a look at Elkwater on the way back from Spruce today and it does not look like anybody has even punched a hole on the lake.
No vehicle access either....

Really, no access, I wonder if this is bcuz of the large pockets Riverview was speaking of? Or jus someone being lazy:D, or jus cuz nobody really icefishes it? How did u make out at Spruce?? What were the conditions n fishn like? Lotsa questions:lol: Sorry if u posted that allready n I missed it??
Cheers!

madatter
01-13-2010, 06:33 PM
Really, no access, I wonder if this is bcuz of the large pockets Riverview was speaking of? Or jus someone being lazy:D, or jus cuz nobody really icefishes it? How did u make out at Spruce?? What were the conditions n fishn like? Lotsa questions:lol: Sorry if u posted that allready n I missed it??
Cheers!

Elkwater Lake really has only 2 access points for ice fishing(with vehicle) and thats the 2 boat launches.The western end of Elkwater is locked up...can't get over there.
Main boat launch is snowed in,I suppose if you wanted to dig your way thruy you could get out on the ice.
I cannot remember a time when the parks people have actually plowed access to the lake,maybe for the winterfest(do they even have it anymore?) and thats about it.
You can always lug all your crap onto the ice and walk it but knowing whats in there I don't think its worth it.
Spruce was not hectic,4 fish between 2(too bad I caught em all:D) of us for the morning...fish not aggressive to say the least.
Road in is great.
Ice is still snow covered but pretty soft,was a pretty nice day out there.

Fishfinder
01-13-2010, 06:41 PM
Elkwater Lake really has only 2 access points for ice fishing(with vehicle) and thats the 2 boat launches.The western end of Elkwater is locked up...can't get over there.
Main boat launch is snowed in,I suppose if you wanted to dig your way thruy you could get out on the ice.
I cannot remember a time when the parks people have actually plowed access to the lake,maybe for the winterfest(do they even have it anymore?) and thats about it.
You can always lug all your crap onto the ice and walk it but knowing whats in there I don't think its worth it.
Spruce was not hectic,4 fish between 2(too bad I caught em all:D) of us for the morning...fish not aggressive to say the least.
Road in is great.
Ice is still snow covered but pretty soft,was a pretty nice day out there.

Awesome. Thanx for the update. Saved me some gas:) Guess I'll see if I can take some of those unwelcome Wallys outta Spruce on the weekend...the fattys, lingering at the bottom:D