PDA

View Full Version : bow river

usie33
01-12-2010, 01:13 AM
hey, just wondering if anyone has hit up the bow latly since the weathers been so nice. just wondering how the fishing is and possibly some help with which fly pattern to use. thanks for any help.

Scott N
01-12-2010, 09:10 AM
I haven't been fishing lately, but for flies, I would suggest using a large weighted San Juan Worm and try a few smaller nymphs as a dropper fly. Prince Nymph, GRHE, Pheasant Tail Nymph, etc. Streamers can also work well in the winter.

notagoodtroutfisher
01-14-2010, 02:19 PM
streamers, streamers, streamers

mistamikel
01-14-2010, 07:19 PM
is there any places where theres no ice? so I can spin and fly fish this time of year?

WayneChristie
01-14-2010, 09:53 PM
is there any places where theres no ice? so I can spin and fly fish this time of year?

dont you get wrapped up in the flyline? :innocent:

mistamikel
01-15-2010, 12:09 PM
dont you get wrapped up in the flyline? :innocent:

lol you know what I mean :tongue2:

CountryRoadz
01-15-2010, 12:17 PM
Underneath the Calf Robe Bridge (Deerfoot Trail) is open. We have fished both sides (North and South) with success mostly catching brown trout. A couple of years ago under the Glenmore Trail bridge a pool formed as a result of ice breaking off etc. My buddies kid caught about 6 Pike in half and hour. It was a mud hole The following week more ice had broken off the pool was gone and so were the fish. About a 1/4 mile south of the bridge on the West shore there are some big boulders. We usaully fish off there.

Good Luck

mistamikel
01-15-2010, 12:31 PM
Underneath the Calf Robe Bridge (Deerfoot Trail) is open. We have fished both sides (North and South) with success mostly catching brown trout. A couple of years ago under the Glenmore Trail bridge a pool formed as a result of ice breaking off etc. My buddies kid caught about 6 Pike in half and hour. It was a mud hole The following week more ice had broken off the pool was gone and so were the fish. About a 1/4 mile south of the bridge on the West shore there are some big boulders. We usaully fish off there.

Good Luck

Thanks for the info, might give it a try tomorrow if the weather is decent.

CountryRoadz
01-15-2010, 01:15 PM
Just to clarify 1/4 mile south of the Calf Robe Bridge is where the boulders are. There is water coming from the water treatment plant just below the bridge on the North side. I have seen a number of people wading in and fishing that area as well. Im sure there are alot of areas along the Bow. That one is just close to home

CR

bowness
01-16-2010, 11:46 AM
Went out last week twice below Calgary. Only got one brown and one football whitefish. Tried streamers as they are often good but to not avail. Got the fish with SJ worm and beadhead.

mistamikel
01-16-2010, 07:20 PM
went out today off of glennmore tr by deer foot meadows shopping center and well i got nothing lol but it was great just being able to get out there and chuck some flies lol

notagoodtroutfisher
01-17-2010, 08:14 AM
went out today off of glennmore tr by deer foot meadows shopping center and well i got nothing lol but it was great just being able to get out there and chuck some flies lol

I was at the same spot, but upstream of the bridge. Got 3 whitefish on different worm patterns (small) and 2 takes on streamers but didn't land'em

fishstix
01-17-2010, 09:22 AM
Just to clarify 1/4 mile south of the Calf Robe Bridge is where the boulders are. There is water coming from the water treatment plant just below the bridge on the North side. I have seen a number of people wading in and fishing that area as well. Im sure there are alot of areas along the Bow. That one is just close to home

CRthe last time i fished by the calf robe bridge my line was ruined by the brownish film lrom the treated water. I'll never go there again, especialy with so many other spots on the bow to fish.
Good floating line costs a min 40$. Why ruin it?

Fishstix!!

mistamikel
01-17-2010, 04:23 PM
I was at the same spot, but upstream of the bridge. Got 3 whitefish on different worm patterns (small) and 2 takes on streamers but didn't land'em

No kiddin?? what time where you there at? I was there around 220ish and stayed till about 4 (wife was getting cold lol)

notagoodtroutfisher
01-20-2010, 06:17 AM
No kiddin?? what time where you there at? I was there around 220ish and stayed till about 4 (wife was getting cold lol)

Between noon and 3

mistamikel
01-20-2010, 08:11 AM
Between noon and 3

I think I saw you walk past on the path as I was fishing (well attempting to any ways) , at least you caught something :)