PDA

View Full Version : Do you fill in your hole when ice fishing

Gillfisher
01-12-2010, 06:04 AM
I took my 10 yr old son down to chain lakes on Sun and as it had been a slow day for us 30 minutes before we decided to leave we relocated to another spot on the lake. Rather than pull the ice auger out of the truck & drill new holes I simply broke through a couple of existing holes that someone had already drilled.

Anyway just as we were getting ready to leave my son was walking around and suddenly he went down his whole leg went into the lake right up to his crotch. Luckily he was not hurt except for his dignity. It seems that someone kicked snow over a 10" hole had it been a 6" or a 8" hole it would not have happened to him. I don't usually kick snow into or over my holes when I am leaving and this is another good reason not to do so. Someone could be badly injured this way.

Gillfisher

dodger
01-12-2010, 06:47 AM
Good point for all, I'm glad your son was OK.
Dodger.

denpacc
01-12-2010, 07:32 AM
Good point for all, I'm glad your son was OK.
Dodger.

X2

WayneChristie
01-12-2010, 07:45 AM
I think the law actually says you have to visibly mark a hole when you are done fishing, like with a stake or stick. never seen anyone do it tho. Glad your son is ok.

straight
01-12-2010, 07:49 AM
...It seems that someone kicked snow over a 10" hole had it been a 6" or a 8" hole it would not have happened to him. I don't usually kick snow into or over my holes when I am leaving and this is another good reason not to do so. Someone could be badly injured this way.

Gillfisher

It could be wind.

209x50
01-12-2010, 07:51 AM
no

huntinstuff
01-12-2010, 07:54 AM
I tend to shovel a fair size square around the hole so it is pretty visible. In short, no I dont cover the holes.

redneck posse
01-12-2010, 01:06 PM
I think the law actually says you have to visibly mark a hole when you are done fishing, like with a stake or stick. never seen anyone do it tho. Glad your son is ok.

same here i thought anything over a 8 inch hole had to be marked?? but how many people know this or care.

Crusty
01-12-2010, 01:47 PM
I always mark mine with small piece of branch or stick. Quite a few just think about themselves these days. Similar to the ones who leave litter around the holes. Lazy buggars!!

sharrozap
01-12-2010, 01:49 PM
I tend to shovel a fair size square around the hole so it is pretty visible. In short, no I dont cover the holes.
X2

Wulfespirit
01-12-2010, 03:29 PM
I don't cover holes and no one I know does either. There are probably clowns that get a kick out of doing it but I've observed people doing it by accident to. When its time to move they'll drag there tent a little before folding it and, in doing so, drag a bunch of slush into the hole making it nearly invisible.

AxeMan
01-12-2010, 03:49 PM
This story reminds me of when I took my little brother (6'6" now) ice fishing when he was quite young about 8 or 9 years old. We were on my ATV and way back in on Kinnaird Lake quite a few miles from the truck. He stepped in one of our own holes and soaked his leg and boot. I had spare wool socks in my pack so all was okay. I still kid him about this now.....he is all grown up and is a pro walleye guy that fishes the NAWT.

Sundancefisher
01-12-2010, 04:27 PM
I took my 10 yr old son down to chain lakes on Sun and as it had been a slow day for us 30 minutes before we decided to leave we relocated to another spot on the lake. Rather than pull the ice auger out of the truck & drill new holes I simply broke through a couple of existing holes that someone had already drilled.

Anyway just as we were getting ready to leave my son was walking around and suddenly he went down his whole leg went into the lake right up to his crotch. Luckily he was not hurt except for his dignity. It seems that someone kicked snow over a 10" hole had it been a 6" or a 8" hole it would not have happened to him. I don't usually kick snow into or over my holes when I am leaving and this is another good reason not to do so. Someone could be badly injured this way.

Gillfisher

If it is cold out the holes freeze quick regardless of snow or no snow. If it is warm out and fresh snow falls over the whole they can be insulted and remain open.

I can not see a big difference between a hole with or without snow put into it unless it is packed in hard and tight. Just putting slush in won't help. Not putting a stick in a 10 inch hole is irresponsible. Someone could get stuck or put a leg down a hole.

Happy no one got hurt. Hopefully he didn't lose a boot also.

Sun

P.S.

Whenever I take Beavers out ice fishing I also recommend to parents to bring an extra pair of boots, socks, snow pants and gloves. Kids just seem compelled to stick their foot in a hole. Strange.

huntinstuff
01-12-2010, 04:33 PM
If it is cold out the holes freeze quick regardless of snow or no snow. If it is warm out and fresh snow falls over the whole they can be insulted and remain open.

I can not see a big difference between a hole with or without snow put into it unless it is packed in hard and tight. Just putting slush in won't help. Not putting a stick in a 10 inch hole is irresponsible. Someone could get stuck or put a leg down a hole.

Happy no one got hurt. Hopefully he didn't lose a boot also.

Sun

P.S.

Whenever I take Beavers out ice fishing I also recommend to parents to bring an extra pair of boots, socks, snow pants and gloves. Kids just seem compelled to stick their foot in a hole. Strange.

Now that's just silly................a beaver wearing boots and socks.......and it's not "kids", it's "kits"

WayneChristie
01-12-2010, 06:26 PM
Now that's just silly................a beaver wearing boots and socks.......and it's not "kids", it's "kits"

you wouldnt need gas for the auger, with those teeth they could just gnaw a hole for you! ;) better not startle them tho, they could really bruise their tail if they slapped the hard ice!!! :D

WayneChristie
01-12-2010, 07:21 PM
you wouldnt need gas for the auger, with those teeth they could just gnaw a hole for you! ;) better not startle them tho, they could really bruise their tail if they slapped the hard ice!!! :D

was going to post something about me going ice fishing last weekend with 3 ladies, but after the day I had today :DI thought better of it

huntinstuff
01-12-2010, 08:06 PM
was going to post something about me going ice fishing last weekend with 3 ladies, but after the day I had today :DI thought better of it

The Post considered by WayneChristie is rated PG 14

DarkAisling
01-12-2010, 08:39 PM

See Wayne . . . you're not as stupid as you look. :D

WayneChristie
01-12-2010, 09:12 PM
See Wayne . . . you're not as stupid as you look. :D

awww thanks Shelley, I think :D

uicehole
01-12-2010, 09:58 PM
Along the same idea, what's everyone's thought on drilling partly thru the ice to hold their auger? Does the abandoned hole present a danger for kids playing around? You know, kids aren't always best at seeing their suroundings when they are goofing around. If there's no seepage, the hole may not freeze over, it may be an ankle breaker all season? Could you trip in one sprinting to your tip-up?

WayneChristie
01-12-2010, 10:38 PM
Along the same idea, what's everyone's thought on drilling partly thru the ice to hold their auger? Does the abandoned hole present a danger for kids playing around? You know, kids aren't always best at seeing their suroundings when they are goofing around. If there's no seepage, the hole may not freeze over, it may be an ankle breaker all season? Could you trip in one sprinting to your tip-up?

I stepped in one at PCR after dark, hurt like hell when I jammed my toe, I have to vote against, cant see why leaning it on the handles would do it any harm. just my opinion of course

fishunter77
01-12-2010, 11:03 PM
I never cover my holes. I have never seen anyone covering 8" holes. I have gone to many lakes over a weekend and seen many people using a hatchet or johnson bar busting open our honey holes from the previous day.:)

When fishing within a group of fisherman that I don't know, but are decent, I will cut a few new ones where they want them if they don't have a power auger.

WayneChristie
01-13-2010, 07:43 AM

on the same note but a bit sideways, when we were out Sunday the little kid fishing beside us kept missing his flags. finally saw one and went flying down the lake to the hole, so fast he actually ran right out of his boots and left them behind on the ice :lol:

Newspeak
01-13-2010, 09:50 AM
I think it's one of those things you have to watch out for/expect when out on the ice. Any kind of breeze will blow snow over a hole and obscure it in no time.

Be careful walking and keep your eyes on your feet. Glad your boy wasn't hurt!

(Just to clarify: I'm not saying that wind was the culprit in this case, just saying even without people filling their holes, one must be careful out there.)

Gillfisher
01-13-2010, 10:04 AM
Thanks for all the replies. Just to expand on my initial posting it was a nice day no wind no snow and some sun. There was a fair bit of snow on the ice. I have been ice fishing in Alta for over 30 yrs and have never had this happen to me nor do I recall it happening to anyone who has been fishing with me.

Gillfisher

CountryRoadz
01-13-2010, 11:17 AM
I stepped in my own hole once and went down to my shin :cry: There's no give to 16" of ice so glad to hear your boy is ok.

When there's snow on the ice we always clear an area around each hole down to the ice so assuming there is no snow afterwards it's easy to see where someone has been fishing.

That being said I thought about PCR and the hundreds of people that have fished the area out in front of the boat launch already this season. I look at the hundreds of holes that have been drilled there as land mines and any other lake that has been fished and you pretty much have to for your own safety.

There's alot of talk about ice safety but awareness is important. I was on CVR last weekend and there were a couple of vehicles flying across the lake. Goes against any standard ice safety article I have seen not to mention there was a spot where a tire had broke through the ice and another area where the ice must have cracked and one side shifted up about 6 inches.

There's always going to be someone who covers up holes, drills holes to hold their auger, uses excessive speed be it right or wrong. I think each person must be aware of the potential hazards and proceed with caution.

Good Luck

CR

Walleyes
01-13-2010, 12:57 PM
I can't say as I purposely fill in my holes but I know that non intentionaly I have done so. But I do know that after reading this I will try and not fill them but try and leave them some what visible. Marking holes with sticks is not really an option down south here.. I usually drill at least 8 holes at a site,, could you imagine looking for sticks out on 40 mile res to mark all these holes there would be no time to fish...

WayneChristie
01-13-2010, 05:46 PM
Im really surprised someone at PCR hasnt gone thru the ice at the boat launch, with all the holes that have been drilled there too. I would be really nervous driving around there with this warm weather. going to be a lot of unfrozen holes. I know what you mean walleyes, Theres not a lot of sticks anywhere around most of the reservoirs.

Fishfinder
01-13-2010, 05:52 PM
I stepped in my own hole once and went down to my shin :cry: There's no give to 16" of ice so glad to hear your boy is ok.

When there's snow on the ice we always clear an area around each hole down to the ice so assuming there is no snow afterwards it's easy to see where someone has been fishing.

That being said I thought about PCR and the hundreds of people that have fished the area out in front of the boat launch already this season. I look at the hundreds of holes that have been drilled there as land mines and any other lake that has been fished and you pretty much have to for your own safety.

There's alot of talk about ice safety but awareness is important. I was on CVR last weekend and there were a couple of vehicles flying across the lake. Goes against any standard ice safety article I have seen not to mention there was a spot where a tire had broke through the ice and another area where the ice must have cracked and one side shifted up about 6 inches.

There's always going to be someone who covers up holes, drills holes to hold their auger, uses excessive speed be it right or wrong. I think each person must be aware of the potential hazards and proceed with caution.

Good Luck

CR

X2:) Good stuff here. Well said!

pecker
01-13-2010, 06:00 PM
Im really surprised someone at PCR hasnt gone thru the ice at the boat launch, with all the holes that have been drilled there too. I would be really nervous driving around there with this warm weather. going to be a lot of unfrozen holes. I know what you mean walleyes, Theres not a lot of sticks anywhere around most of the reservoirs.

ed zackery.:) :wave:

Fishfinder
01-13-2010, 06:07 PM

Pretty sure people would'nt want to do this as to not reveal their favorite spots, but what if fishn stores were to give out free stix to hammer into the ice to mark holes as finding stix on the ice is not that easy. Would never happen but would be nice. Or what about ecofriendly paint? Make it standard to spray around ur hole? Jus tossin ideas out there. New to ice fishn,...great thread! Safety first:)

WayneChristie
01-13-2010, 07:16 PM
if everyone at PCR left a stick in their hole, it would look like a forest :lol:

Extreme Fishing
01-13-2010, 07:42 PM
Glad to hear your son is ok, this has happened to me as well in the spring time. They were promoting this "covering of holes" on wild TV once as part of tactic to avoid showing were they had been fishing!! I suppose where a lot of you guys live the weather is warm and holes dont freeze within minutes.

Cal
01-13-2010, 08:09 PM
The only reason I can see for covering your holes is to add some comedy to an otherwise slow day, or maby convince your buddy it realy is time to go home. I leave them uncovered for safety reason and for people who may show up the next day, befor I owned a power auger I sure apreciated showing up and finding some open holes.

CountryRoadz
01-13-2010, 08:37 PM
Covering holes to hide a persons hot spot? I may be out of touch but are there line ups to fish a persons self proclaimed hot spot? I thought that was just at Walmart. We had a good spot last week at CVR out in front of the South East islands where we have had consistent success the last 2 winters. The only reason I tried CVR and that specific area last year was due to the suggestions of some on this forum. When we left Saturday it was clear where we were fishing. My buddies kid asked if people might fish our holes because they were visible and I said I hope so.

I know for some folks fishing is a serious part of their life and alot of time and money is put into their favorite sport but surely people are not hiding an 8inch fishing hole on a 5 mile frozen lake jeopordizing the safety of others.

On that note whats with all the secret lakes at fishing areas? Maybe Iam missing something. If so please clue me in.

CR

Fishfinder
01-14-2010, 01:41 AM
Yup, good to be aware of. Lotsa danger out there. Lotsa!

fisherwoman
01-14-2010, 08:59 PM
About marking the holes, I often trip over or put my foot through holes. Usually my own holes.:o I have taken to bringing a can of orange spray paint to mark our holes, as we have a ten inch auger. I can fit my hole boot in one of our holes... and often do.:o Maybe someone on here will be mad that i use a bit a paint to mark my holes... but at least people don't fall in them :)

Also it is true, a lot of lakes around here don't have any sticks laying around.

A quick rant: Last year at Payne I was fishing in the wee hours of the morning and walked over a patch of ice, not even thinking about why that ice was square. Well some one must have cut a hole in the ice with a saw about 5ft by 5ft. It must have been done in the evening the night before and it was not frozen fully yet. The ice cracked and I ran, very lucky I was. Could have drowned. So even if people don't mark there little 8 inch holes, it would have been nice if that had been marked!

Fishfinder
01-14-2010, 09:07 PM
About marking the holes, I often trip over or put my foot through holes. Usually my own holes.:o I have taken to bringing a can of orange spray paint to mark our holes, as we have a ten inch auger. I can fit my hole boot in one of our holes... and often do.:o Maybe someone on here will be mad that i use a bit a paint to mark my holes... but at least people don't fall in them :)

Also it is true, a lot of lakes around here don't have any sticks laying around.

A quick rant: Last year at Payne I was fishing in the wee hours of the morning and walked over a patch of ice, not even thinking about why that ice was square. Well some one must have cut a hole in the ice with a saw about 5ft by 5ft. It must have been done in the evening the night before and it was not frozen fully yet. The ice cracked and I ran, very lucky I was. Could have drowned. So even if people don't mark there little 8 inch holes, it would have been nice if that had been marked!

Word bird. Never shoulda happened in the first place. Water is not a toy, unfortuntly lotsa "grown ups" forget this. Gotta mark the big holes, I for one don't wanna b the cause of someone spraining their ankle out there!
Cheers:)

jrs
01-14-2010, 09:18 PM
Take sticks with you if you're that worried about it. Don't put paint into the lake unless you're 100% sure it's non-toxic. If you need further reason to not spray paint the ice remember its illegal (introduction of a deleterious substance).

WayneChristie
01-14-2010, 09:21 PM
guess I better walk all the way to the shore to have a leak then next time :evilgrin:

fisherwoman
01-14-2010, 09:23 PM
Take sticks with you if you're that worried about it. Don't put paint into the lake unless you're 100% sure it's non-toxic. If you need further reason to not spray paint the ice remember its illegal (introduction of a deleterious substance).

Forgot to mention the "non toxic" part. Yes I looked high and low for for it, but came across some good spray that is not harmful to the water. Would hate to wreck the good fishing holes over that! (doesn't paint worth a crap though)

How would one make the stick stay up right without filling in the hole??

jrs
01-14-2010, 09:28 PM
In the few instances i've felt it was necessary to mark my holes (aside from leaving them clear like i always do) cattails stayed upright just fine. Glad to hear you used non-toxic paint.

Cal
01-14-2010, 10:11 PM
In the few instances i've felt it was necessary to mark my holes (aside from leaving them clear like i always do) cattails stayed upright just fine. Glad to hear you used non-toxic paint.

Try putting some of that in your fish tank and see what happens. A substance does not need to be toxic to kill fish. Same goes for bio-degradable soap, it may not be toxic but it can still wreak havoc with their gills and have them floating belly up. Pretty sure a blowing snow will cover up that paint befor the hole drifts over anyways.

Ken07AOVette
01-14-2010, 10:15 PM
You could carry a rechargeable drill with a 1/2" bit, drill a small hole right beside the big one to put a stick in. Very easy to mark it then.

Or, so you dont have to worry about batteries, carry a brace and bit (hand drill) which looks like a mini ice auger. I have a couple of them, might start carrying one and a hand full of sticks to mark the holes myself.

Good thread :wave:

Drano
01-15-2010, 04:30 AM
Forgot to mention the "non toxic" part. Yes I looked high and low for for it, but came across some good spray that is not harmful to the water. Would hate to wreck the good fishing holes over that! (doesn't paint worth a crap though)

How would one make the stick stay up right without filling in the hole??

You have to stand there and hold the stick until the hole freezes.

Just kidding lol...:lol::wave:

Fishfinder
01-15-2010, 07:19 AM
:lol:Good one Drano!:lol:
All being said, jus gonna bring me own stix when going to big lakes. For the most part, nobody fishes where I do...i am my biggest hazzard:ashamed:

WayneChristie
01-15-2010, 07:23 AM
You have to stand there and hold the stick until the hole freezes.

Just kidding lol...:lol::wave:

at minus 30 thats perfect, with this chinook you would probably have sprouts on your stick before you could let go :lol:

Fishfinder
01-15-2010, 07:29 AM
at minus 30 thats perfect, with this chinook you would probably have sprouts on your stick before you could let go :lol:

:lol::lol:no doubt!

drake
01-15-2010, 09:00 AM
I usually bring lath and yellow tape and set up a large perimeter. On one end of the perimeter, i set up a check in station. All entrants must have government issued ID and pass a practical test where by they must negotiate a series of 10 inch holes and capture a flag at the opposite end. Once this is done, they may don a pair of chest waders and enter the fishing area. Persons with foot sizes less than 11" may only fish in the 8" hole area . In addition, i only walk on to lakes provided there is a minimum of 36" of ice (due to this fact i have not been ice fishing in 3 years) and I always drill holes 150 yds apart so as not to jeopardize the ice strength.

Remember....you can never be to safe.

Ken07AOVette
01-15-2010, 09:15 AM
I usually bring lath and yellow tape and set up a large perimeter. On one end of the perimeter, i set up a check in station. All entrants must have government issued ID and pass a practical test where by they must negotiate a series of 10 inch holes and capture a flag at the opposite end. Once this is done, they may don a pair of chest waders and enter the fishing area. Persons with foot sizes less than 11" may only fish in the 8" hole area . In addition, i only walk on to lakes provided there is a minimum of 36" of ice (due to this fact i have not been ice fishing in 3 years) and I always drill holes 150 yds apart so as not to jeopardize the ice strength.

Remember....you can never be to safe.

ROFL!!! :D

We drive out in the fresh stuff with the windows open until we are sure we are in 40' of water, then drill holes 6" apart in a circle all the way around the truck. Makes for an exciting day! :lol: