PDA

View Full Version : Jiffy Auger Problem

Morph1
01-12-2010, 08:07 AM
Hey guys,
I bought a used auger Jiffy 30, its about 12 years old, the motor runs great although it cutsout here and there , but that can be adjusted..., I should mention it's a 8" drill, what I am having problem with is when you start drilling, it will get stuck like 6" into the hole and then I gotta lift it give some rpm and hit it again then it cuts ice like butter but then again when I'm about to punch through the ice it gets stuck again and once again I gotta lift it run it and punch it....
While that happens the motor runs flawless without cutting out,
just wondering if anyone else has had similar problem with their Jiffy and please what is the solution to it ???
When it gets stuck it pretty much tries to rip my limbs right off :lol:,
it's a B*** to operate this unit, I was told by someone that there maybe a problem with the shaft balance, possibly bent or something..., the blades are sharp you can almost shave with them...

any help would be greatly appreciated...

thanks.

Piker
01-12-2010, 08:11 AM
I had the same problem a few yrs. ago and discovered that the diaphram in the carb. was cracked. Replaced and worked like new. Piker

dodger
01-12-2010, 08:19 AM
I had a Strikemaster that would stop / jam just as I was punching threw to the water. It sure would jolt the shoulders, plus it blew the gears twice a season. The way I looked after it was I gave it away. Someone told me the angle of the ripper blade was to steep??
Dodger.

Crusty
01-12-2010, 01:31 PM
I'm no mechanic but seems to me what ever transfers the engine opower to the auger is slipping under pressure. Similar to an electric drill when the chuck isn't tight the bit will slip.

randster
01-12-2010, 02:06 PM
Just my 2 cents, But when the drill jambs just before breaking through the ice is normal.
I work in the metal trades and even drilling through steel, you should ease up on the drill just before you break through.(thats when the drill will want to jam)
I ease up on my Jiffy, and even pull up a bit when I think I'm about to break through the ice. It still jams some times and I then I do the same as you mentioned.
My Jiffy is only a few years old and has worked this way since the start. Playing with the blade angle may make this better, but you can also make it worse.

Mike_W
01-12-2010, 02:16 PM
Have you ever replaced the blades? If so is it possible they are installed wrong? if installed incorrect the blades will grab too much ice and cause the issue you are describing.
It's not anything slipping and as randster mentioned it is a common issue that when drilling through any material the last bit is the toughest due to the bit taking too much material in your case ice. On Ice I find to back off on pressure and increase the rpms's works best for me to get through that last bit.

As for the engine stalling in the first few inches I would venture a guess this only happens on the first hole and is caused by your engine not being warm enough and bogging down.

Buck Krazy
01-12-2010, 02:45 PM
"I had a Strikemaster that would stop / jam just as I was punching threw to the water. It sure would jolt the shoulders, plus it blew the gears twice a season. The way I looked after it was I gave it away. Someone told me the angle of the ripper blade was to steep??
Dodger."

Same thing happened on our jiffy, the angle on the blade is too steep. If you don't rectify it, it is just a matter of time before you need new gears..

dodger
01-12-2010, 04:03 PM
My new Jiffy goes threw the ice no problem and there is no issue at all when it is about to break threw the ice into the water. BUT, starting it is a whole different story.
Dodger.

Morph1
01-12-2010, 05:57 PM
thank you guys for all the replies,
I am a bit confused , the blade sits right I checked, someone here mention blade angle ??? there is no blade angle adjustment, it mounts only one way ..., I'm thinking that it has something to do with the shaft, maybe it's bent a bit or something and throws it out of balance while running, the blade is sharp I mean I can cut paper with it ... I also noticed that between the head and the shaft connector there is quite a bit of play. when I lay the auger flat on the side and lift the shaft up and down horizontally there is about 1/4" of play.. is that normal ?? or should that be tight.
could someone post a pic of their Jiffy where the blade mounts, I just wanna see if its the same as mine, I'll shoot a pic of my jiffy when I'll get back home.

thanks.

thorne
01-12-2010, 07:52 PM
there should be a bit of play for sure. Have you tried running the powerhead without the screw...letting it idle, hammering the throttle, and seeing if the powerhead functions properly...also simple things like the air filter, check and use synthetic oil with premium gas...you know that old chessnut!

huntinstuff
01-12-2010, 08:03 PM
My Jiffy does the same thing.....you start to drill then it bogs down to the point you think it will stall....so you pull it out of the ice hold and she revs back up ....

I had it happen before and it was gunk in the carb.....a few sprays of carb cleaner and some gas and it ran for 2 years without grief.

Mine is doing it again btw.....

I have a 13yr old Jiffy 3hp. White.

addicted
01-12-2010, 08:13 PM
i agree use premium fuel and a high grade synthetic oil to mix with for the few extra cents its worth it the guys at the lawn mower hospital have some good stuff there and suggested i do so and it worked great more power

Morph1
01-12-2010, 09:17 PM
I think I have been misunderstood,
my problem has nothing to do with the gas flow through the auger either the lose of power while I drill through ice,
the problem is the blade/shaft gets stuck while drilling the hole, (example) if it gets stuck (it gets stuck every hole) and I wont release the thrutle I will be spinning with the auger in countelss circles :lol::lol:
I will get a couple of shots of the drill end piece and post 'em back here.

cheers !

spurly
01-12-2010, 09:44 PM
I hope I can explain this properly. Diconnect your auger assembly from the motor.set 2 peices of 2x4 about 8" long on edge. On the botom of the auger you have a flat plate, this needs to be sqare to your auger. set your plate over top the 2x4's so that the auger is standing upright, and check for plumb, using a level.or check for sqareness using a framing sqare. Adjust the bottom plate accordingly.
My buddy drilled a hole, not quite thrugh the ice in order to leve his auger upright. the whole filled with water, and froze stiff enough that he bent the bottom plate, his was jamming just like yours.If you need more info PM me and I will try to explain things better.

Morph1
01-12-2010, 10:12 PM
thank you spurly !!! I think you're absolutely right,
I removed the shaft lined it up vertically along a leveled wall and damn that thing is all screwed up , I need a new shaft...,
I am almost 99% sure, I mean its evident...,
any idea where can I get an 8" shaft ???? and an approximate price?

cheers !!!

spurly
01-12-2010, 10:40 PM
before buying a new shaft put the plate in a vice ,and try to pry it over, and keep checking for plumbness.Its suprizing how much you can adjust it.Try it first you will save yourself some cash.

randster
01-12-2010, 10:43 PM
Good input by spurly. I know you could change blade angles on hand drills by adding shims under the blades.
I should check my jiffy as per spurly's advice. check this link, shows even the best have there issues
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJqVJiTDA2o

Morph1
01-13-2010, 12:18 AM
Good input by spurly. I know you could change blade angles on hand drills by adding shims under the blades.
I should check my jiffy as per spurly's advice. check this link, shows even the best have there issues
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJqVJiTDA2o

lol this is almost a twin brother situation with my auger,
it's a b**** to drill holes, I decided to spend some extra dough and get a new shaft.