PDA

View Full Version : 20lb Mono on Tip Up?

DarkAisling
01-12-2010, 08:20 PM
I was going to spool up a tip up with 20lb mono (Berkley Trilene "Big Game").

I honestly can't see it failing, but I thought I'd ask here before I did it. I don't really want to have to take it back off of the spool after I've got it on there.

Is this begging for some major catastrophe to strike?

Little Valy
01-12-2010, 08:37 PM
Spool up with tip up line then tie on a swivel and attach a length(2to4feet)of flourocarbon.Much easier on bare hands and less chance of a birds nest.

jrs
01-12-2010, 08:44 PM
x2
Not a great idea as mono can rat nest pretty bad on tip ups. Also, if you hook a big fish, it will draw blood hand lining (i've confirmed this one). Stick to dacron, 25-30 lbs assuming you're going for pike.

DarkAisling
01-12-2010, 08:50 PM
I'm convinced! Not too worried about tangles . . . but I do not want blood drawn (my own blood, that is).

WayneChristie
01-12-2010, 09:14 PM
go for the line you can handline. just in case you do actually catch a fish :evilgrin: and 20 pound if you are fishing for pike is just not nearly strong enough. not for the ice anyways. Ive heard of them breaking a lot heavier line than that.

J.B.
01-12-2010, 10:11 PM
Stick to black dacron. 30 lbs +

sir pikealott
01-12-2010, 10:14 PM
I've had a few breaks on the ice with 25lb nylon, so over the last couple years I've upped to 50lb. Replaced steel leaders with florocarbon. Still catch just as many fish with the bigger line (thought it might be more visable, I guess not). Rarely been cut with that line, but when you are..........ooooo it's a good one. No pain, no gain :)

jacob1202
01-13-2010, 01:43 AM
i have 30lb bright green mono line on both of my tipups... works great... thought the fish would scare from it but no...

DarkAisling
01-13-2010, 06:30 AM
go for the line you can handline. just in case you do actually catch a fish :evilgrin:

I'll just have to follow Baitfisher's lead and not yours :p

The Fishin Hole had plenty of the black braid. It was a tangled mess though, which is why I didn't pick any up. I'll see if I can untangle a spool or two next time I'm in.

ULTRAlite
01-13-2010, 02:56 PM
The spools @ the fishin hole are all interconnected, ask and someone can cut one free for ya (couldn't figure it out either). They also have the coated stuff in boxes. The coating stops the line from wicking water. Gonna try this stuff next time...

Hunter Trav
01-13-2010, 02:59 PM
Can't go wrong with a spool of heavy braid, and its usually not to expensive either...

DarkAisling
01-13-2010, 03:24 PM
The spools @ the fishin hole are all interconnected, ask and someone can cut one free for ya (couldn't figure it out either).

Louise explained this and cut them apart for me today. I told her they need to put a sign near the spools telling people this. She didn't seem to take me seriously. Glad I'm not the only one who couldn't figure it out!

My smaller tip up now has 50 yards of the 50lb black braid on it. The other one has 50 yards of the 50lb black braid, but it is backed with 50 yards of 20 lb coated tip up line. I did that mostly to fill up the reel (which is huge), but it'll let me know if something ran and pulled out massive quantities of line when I had my back turned.