PDA

View Full Version : Tucker Lake (La Corey)

WillyP
01-13-2010, 09:34 AM
Anyone heard or know what has become of Tucker lake North of La Corey, have not been there for probably 15 years, used to catch some monster Perch there, seems to have dropped off the Radar?
Thanks

jjstar
01-13-2010, 11:16 AM
I questioned people about it as I am in the area and was told lots of undersized pike and perch were hard to find and nothing amazing. so maybe need to go try it and see for myself as I never heard anything about jumbo's

dryflyguy
01-15-2010, 01:19 PM
I was up that way last Sunday and it was a toss up between Moose Lake and Tucker but Moose won. Didn't have much luck at Moose, hooked into 2 whites but that was it. Tucker used to be a mecca from what I hear. I work with a gentleman who caught the former AB record perch from Tucker Lake many years ago so that fact has always intrigued me, just never have made it out to the lake to see for myself what it has to offer.

Levy
11-23-2010, 07:17 PM
The perch population was decimated about ten years ago and has slowly been coming back. If you look long enough or just get lucky you can catch some nice perch around 9-12 but catching your limit would be hard. The pike are doing good in there but i have fished the lake about twenty times in the past three years and haven't caught one over ten pounds. That being said i can't recall going home without a keeper pike (63 cm). Ice fishing can be slow fishing for the pike and the lake isn't the fishery it used to be twenty years ago but its still pretty good.
When it comes to ice fishing that lake we usually show up around three and stick around until it gets dark the pike seem to bit best around sun down. If you decide to go out there this winter id be happy to send you a map showing which spots to try.

slough shark
12-29-2010, 11:29 PM
I went out to tucker this past weekend and fished for a morning, caught 1 pike that was about 65cm on the tip-ups, also tried to catch some perch and had no bites, I would refrain from driving on that lake though, the ice was only about 6-8 inches with a few inches of water on top of the ice covered by snow, as well there were a few open spots which I thought rather odd, I've never been to the lake before but all lakes that I've gone fishing in usually have about a foot+ at this time of year. Anyone know what the open spots might be?

Levy
12-30-2010, 06:07 PM
I was out at tucker today just to check the ice and fish for a couple of hours. I got dusted not even a bite. There was about a foot of ice on the north end of the lake and flood water everywhere. As far as i could tell several people had walked out on the lake before the big snow fall and water was coming up out of their holes. There were a few springs i haven't seen before Im not sure if its because we got so much rain this summer or what but most winters they aren't there. There was one pressure ridge across the lake that was surrounded by flood water and had what appeared to be open water along it. One crazy person drove across it with a truck on the north end and it looked like the skidoos on the lake had a hard time getting across it. Give it a month and it should be safe to drive on. Try fishing the East part of the lake in the bays or deeper water for the perch i usually catch them in twenty feet of water. Were you fishing by the creeks or main launch? in my experience the ice is typically thiner there.

slough shark
12-30-2010, 07:32 PM
I ended up fishing between the main launch and where the creek leaves for the most part, at least that was where I caught the fish. We tried walking around a bit to try a few different areas and a few different depths 6-20 feet ended up catching the pike in around 8 feet, and had another bite in around 12. Yeah even in a month I would stay away from driving on the lake from what I saw, a few 4 foot open holes, that would creep me out because it's been fairly cold this year and there were still open spots.