PDA

View Full Version : Badger on Saturday (No *itching in this thread!)

SturgeonHunter
01-14-2010, 09:29 PM
I will be heading out there on Saturday, curious as to who on the forum is going? Probably going to fish early, then head into town with a few friends to buy our tickets. Maybe hit the pub for a cold one before going back to the lake:evilgrin:. Maybe I will see some of you there. CHEERS

WayneChristie
01-14-2010, 09:41 PM
aww but I wanna *itch :D I should be there with the missus, hit the lake about 9 and get set up, then grab the tickets. Likely park at the launch and walk on.

baitfisher83
01-14-2010, 09:42 PM
I wish I could go...stupid work..lol guess I gotta save my fishing for Gull.

JustinC
01-14-2010, 11:25 PM
Have a great time guys and girls.

Drano
01-15-2010, 04:33 AM
Yes have a great time and good luck.
I hope the ice is still froze..:wave::wave:

Brian H.
01-15-2010, 07:16 AM
Me and buddy will be there as well. Last Saturday there was 24+ inches of ice, so I don't think driving on will be a problem. Going to need ice cleats for sure as the snow is probably all gone. Hope to meet up with fellow forum members.:wave:

Fishfinder
01-15-2010, 07:27 AM
:wave:Yesm. good luck. wish i could make it. Come spring (on a sidenote) always lookin for fellow Sturghunters to wrangle with! Found a few good spots this summer I did. Again....good luck out there! May the fish b with u:wave:

WayneChristie
01-15-2010, 07:29 AM
Im planning on hitting the lake about 9. little blue car and parking at the launch. I see some spots Id like to check out not far from there so likely just walking on, or swimming if this heat keeps up :D

DarkAisling
01-15-2010, 02:26 PM
We'll be there, unless some major catastrophe strikes in the next 1/2 day.

We'll be easy to find: we'll be in the blue Volvo wagon that Wayne is pushing ;) (Got the tires fixed today . . . shouldn't have a problem).

Look for a blue Volvo parked at the boat launch, with a "Reel Hookers" and a "Report a Poacher" window cling on a passenger side window. It has a ski box (coffin) on top. We'll be in a Frabill 6 man hub set up by Wayne. I'll be the woman trying to wrangle two teenagers.

(My BB pin will help track us down while we're out there, if you've got a Blackberry . . . use it in BB Messenger)

DarkAisling
01-15-2010, 03:23 PM
We'll be in a Frabill 6 man hub set up by Wayne.

That sounds bad. I'll set up my own tent . . . in close proximity to Wayne and family.

WayneChristie
01-15-2010, 06:14 PM
That sounds bad. I'll set up my own tent . . . in close proximity to Wayne and family.

:evilgrin: I dont mind setting up your tent, Maybe we can stuff the 3 teenagers in mine and the 3 grownups can use yours. OK you 2 grownups and me too :D should be interesting watching 3 gawky teenage boys running for flags on the ice covered water, been having fun crossing the yard at work today and wished I was wearing my cleats!!!

SturgeonHunter
01-15-2010, 07:40 PM
Cool, Hope to see some of you out there. I might try fishing along the dam, there is big trench/canal I found over there last year that is like 20 ft deep and probably 40 ft wide, seen a ton of fish on the camera there, so thats probably where I will start. Good luck everyone

Kingfisher
01-15-2010, 07:51 PM
I was thinking of going ice fishing somewhere this weekend. I do want to go to the Badger derby. I must have had a hard day at work today as it took me a few minutes to figure out why if I was going to go to Badger this weend that I'd have to worry about itching.
Then it hit me.http://bestsmileys.com/lol/17.gif

I will be going alone in my red Dodge quad cab. So if anyone wants to come out from Calgary then I've got lots of room.
http://bestsmileys.com/fishing/4.gif.

Rob

DarkAisling
01-15-2010, 08:43 PM
:evilgrin: I dont mind setting up your tent, Maybe we can stuff the 3 teenagers in mine and the 3 grownups can use yours. OK you 2 grownups and me too :D should be interesting watching 3 gawky teenage boys running for flags on the ice covered water, been having fun crossing the yard at work today and wished I was wearing my cleats!!!

Sounds like a plan. I also think I need to find my video camera :evilgrin:

rielbowhunter
01-15-2010, 08:44 PM
I will be going to pick up tickets for derby. then heading down to little bow to meet up with friends and fish there. See you at the derby. here i picture of the second place 2009. this is Chad with his fish.

TangoKilo
01-15-2010, 10:43 PM
Good luck with the fishing tomorrow!

I won't be able to get out until Wednesday so I expect a full report!

WayneChristie
01-16-2010, 07:25 AM
heading out in a minute, will let you know how it went

Fishfinder
01-16-2010, 09:37 AM
I will be going to pick up tickets for derby. then heading down to little bow to meet up with friends and fish there. See you at the derby. here i picture of the second place 2009. this is Chad with his fish.

Wow, hats off to Chad! Nice fish:)

DarkAisling
01-16-2010, 12:18 PM
Sitting on the east side of the lake by the outflow (big cement building). The cars are parked behind the building. One pike for Wayne so far. A few "close but no cigar" moments for the boys.

diamonddave
01-16-2010, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the update DarkAisling, keep the reports coming in! :wave::wave:

rielbowhunter
01-16-2010, 06:14 PM
We didn't to lomond till noon so we got are tickets in the bar, and then went fishing . Had some luck. Heres a couple of pictures
http://http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy9/rielbowhunter/icefishing010/053.jpg

WayneChristie
01-16-2010, 06:57 PM
nice fish Riel. hope you cant make it to the derby :evilgrin: just kidding, Mine wasnt even legal, but if they dont start biting soon who knows, it might have had a chance. Girlfriends son got one even smaller than mine, (Mine was about 2 1/2 or so) and then when we started packing up Dark Aisling got one on her tip up that was about 3 or so and just legal. Not much action going on around us, most of the neighbors packed up or moved away pretty early. The best time of the day was when I tripped Shelleys flag when she wasnt looking, she was a bit disapointed that there was no fish on the line, but myself and the boys had a good laugh at her expense :evilgrin: Hopefully I can catch one 10 times as big at the derby and maybe have a chance! And yes, you are able to buy tickets for your friends for the derby.
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/January%2016%202010/DSCF8257.jpg
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/January%2016%202010/DSCF8254.jpg
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/January%2016%202010/DSCF8259.jpg

rielbowhunter
01-16-2010, 07:06 PM
heres more pics

WayneChristie
01-16-2010, 07:16 PM
nice, how big?

gramps73
01-16-2010, 07:19 PM
Looks like some guys had some luck today, Fished the west end of the rock wall will little to no luck ..
nice fish

WayneChristie
01-16-2010, 07:28 PM
they were starting to bite as the sun was getting lower of course :) but it was a beautiful day on the lake. Only 2 out of 3 teenagers hit the ice. And a couple near misses with the adults :lol:

rielbowhunter
01-16-2010, 07:30 PM
we caught 5 in 3 hours and the biggest was 19.9lbs

WayneChristie
01-16-2010, 07:36 PM
Nice!!!! better than us for sure. I hope you ate that big one before the derby :evilgrin:

SturgeonHunter
01-16-2010, 09:55 PM
Good to see someone had some luck out there. Our group of three got SKUNKED. Moved three times today, fished anywhere from 4 to 16 ft and didnt even see anything. Beer tasted good though :D. Gonna stay a little closer to home tommorow and try Rattlesnake.

DarkAisling
01-17-2010, 07:34 AM
The best time of the day was when I tripped Shelleys flag when she wasnt looking, she was a bit disapointed that there was no fish on the line, but myself and the boys had a good laugh at her expense :evilgrin:

This was explained to me on the way home.

The boys were talking about how nice you folks were . . . and about your great sense of humour. I asked what you said or did that was indicative of a "great" sense of humour (vs a "good" sense of humour, or just having a sense of humour).

That's when they told me.

Well, I'm glad it was done to the tip up I didn't trust. I really didn't expect that one to work as I didn't feel I had it setup quite correctly. If you'd done it to the other one (the one with the extendable flag), I might have been a little more worked up (vs. confused and disappointed).

Incidentally, the tip up I didn't think was setup correctly is the one that hooked the fish.

WayneChristie
01-17-2010, 07:39 AM
it worked because I teased the fish with it ;) now you know you had it right anyways. :)

matathonman
01-17-2010, 08:06 AM
Nice fish. All we caught was five all day with the biggest being 6lbs. The two guys fishing behind us caught a 17lb and lost a bigger one so they did alright. So that was you guys in the double tent to the north of us WayneChristie.

gramps73
01-17-2010, 08:37 AM
Anyone else get checked by F&W good to see them out.

pecker
01-17-2010, 10:03 AM
heres more pics

nice pike- thanks for sharing. looks like cleats wouldn't be a bad thing out there. :wave:

WayneChristie
01-17-2010, 04:39 PM
Nice fish. All we caught was five all day with the biggest being 6lbs. The two guys fishing behind us caught a 17lb and lost a bigger one so they did alright. So that was you guys in the double tent to the north of us WayneChristie.

could have been I couldnt tell what direction was what there, :lol: we were right by the outlet.
and yes cleats were definitely an asset. had 2 out of 3 teenagers hit the ground, Shelley tried hard a couple times but didnt quite make it. I did pretty good for a clutz, had to dance a bit one time but was ok the rest of the day. :D

DarkAisling
01-17-2010, 04:51 PM
could have been I couldnt tell what direction was what there, :lol: we were right by the outlet.
and yes cleats were definitely an asset. had 2 out of 3 teenagers hit the ground, Shelley tried hard a couple times but didnt quite make it. I did pretty good for a clutz, had to dance a bit one time but was ok the rest of the day. :D

We were on the eastern edge of the lake, pretty much directly across from the boat launch (which is on the western side of the lake). Wayne was having real troubles with his directions yesterday. The poor dear was all confused about where he was.

There were a couple of tents south of us. There were two trucks parked on the edge of the lake at that location. There was also a quad at one of the tents south of us.

michelle
01-17-2010, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the pic's and the details!:D

I live vicariously through you!:D

Ahhh, some day I will get over hating the cold and be out on the hard water with you!:lol:

bucktaker
01-18-2010, 10:01 AM
nice pics. anyone know if the derby sold out?

Dano
01-18-2010, 01:18 PM
Has anybody camped here for the ice fishing derby? If so is there any place designated for parking a camper or where could you park for the weekend?

Thanks!

AlbertaAngler
01-18-2010, 01:45 PM
Most park on the ice, first come first serve. There are some people that park on shore, but I've never noticed anything "designated"

Dano
01-18-2010, 05:55 PM
OK, thanks for the camping info. Never parked it on a lake before. Sounds fun. Hope the ice is thick enough for the weight of all those units on the ice at the end of feb. Have to check my insurance and see if I'm covered for the unit falling through, ouch!!

WayneChristie
01-18-2010, 06:06 PM
theres lots of ice, by the derby it should be a lot thicker too. lots of room to spread out too

matathonman
01-18-2010, 10:47 PM
By then you will be damn near up to the handles on your auger. No problems bringing you camper out. Mine will be parked out there on the truck so if one goes it all goes:sick:

cujo1969
01-18-2010, 11:19 PM
rielbowhunter: Which lake did you go fishing at looks like travers? or mcgregor.