PDA

View Full Version : Wabamun (sundance)

KILO 275
01-15-2010, 09:03 AM
Thinking about heading out to Waub. tomorrow. We used to fish right across from the Sundance plant years ago, but after taking a drive out there last weekend I noticed that the road heading towards the lake across from the plant was fenced off. Has this fence been up for a while? Where else can a guy access this side of the lake with a pickup. Is the ice over there safe to drive on?

mikeym
01-15-2010, 09:09 AM
if it was me, i wouldn't chance driving on.

the ice is about 12 - 14" thick right now, but the top 3 or 4" are pretty crappy ice. and there is about a 2 - 3" layer of slushy snow on top of that.

it's not worth the risk of loosing your truck or even your life to chance driving onto questionable ice. besides you only have to walk about 100 - 200 yds out to get to some real decent jack fishing and if after whites, even closer.

rgds
Mike

RedFisher
01-17-2010, 10:32 PM
Thinking about heading out to Waub. tomorrow. We used to fish right across from the Sundance plant years ago, but after taking a drive out there last weekend I noticed that the road heading towards the lake across from the plant was fenced off. Has this fence been up for a while? Where else can a guy access this side of the lake with a pickup. Is the ice over there safe to drive on?

ok let me post this up again...the gate's been there for 2 years now...if you would have looked close you would have seen my track you have to go past the gates and take your first right into the parking lot..then right again as if you heading back towords the road...you drive through the lot towards the gates and you'll see my tracks just follow them...you can get acess to it through the weed beds...again follow the tracks.. ive driven on about a dozen times and no issues... 18-20 inches of ice messured 2 weeks ago... you'll see all the tracks and trails just be carfull there was one spot i hit with lots of flood water......make sure you have a shovel and 4x4 though lots of drifts...:evilgrin::evilgrin:... im heading out again soon if you want we can meet up and i can show you how to get on..

KILO 275
01-18-2010, 11:58 AM
ok let me post this up again...the gate's been there for 2 years now...if you would have looked close you would have seen my track you have to go past the gates and take your first right into the parking lot..then right again as if you heading back towords the road...you drive through the lot towards the gates and you'll see my tracks just follow them...you can get acess to it through the weed beds...again follow the tracks.. ive driven on about a dozen times and no issues... 18-20 inches of ice messured 2 weeks ago... you'll see all the tracks and trails just be carfull there was one spot i hit with lots of flood water......make sure you have a shovel and 4x4 though lots of drifts...:evilgrin::evilgrin:... im heading out again soon if you want we can meet up and i can show you how to get on..

Thanks for the info RedFisher. I ran a search through the forum before I sent this out and couldn't get any info on that gate. I think I know where you're talking about, I pulled into that parking lot to turn around. Didn't notice any access through there, but also didn't look too hard. Do you think anyone out there has any problems with going around this gate at all? (I'd assume if the gate was put up that someone doesn't want people getting to the lake from there) I didn't notice any signs at all though specifying to keep out. How's the fishing been lately out there? I do want to see if I can tie into some big Waub. jacks. I've caught lots of white's in the past in this Sundance area (quite some time ago) but I never really tried for the pike. Thanks for the offer to show me where to get on, but I won't be able to do any more fishing till this weekend and not too sure where the buddy's want to head out. (we may possibly be going out there but I'm not sure quite yet)

RedFisher
01-20-2010, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the info RedFisher. I ran a search through the forum before I sent this out and couldn't get any info on that gate. I think I know where you're talking about, I pulled into that parking lot to turn around. Didn't notice any access through there, but also didn't look too hard. Do you think anyone out there has any problems with going around this gate at all? (I'd assume if the gate was put up that someone doesn't want people getting to the lake from there) I didn't notice any signs at all though specifying to keep out. How's the fishing been lately out there? I do want to see if I can tie into some big Waub. jacks. I've caught lots of white's in the past in this Sundance area (quite some time ago) but I never really tried for the pike. Thanks for the offer to show me where to get on, but I won't be able to do any more fishing till this weekend and not too sure where the buddy's want to head out. (we may possibly be going out there but I'm not sure quite yet)

lol...all good...as for the gate...not really sure why it was put up...i was there when the had a front end loader cleaning the parking lot...and the guy actually cleaned a path right to where you can drive on...nice guy..as for big pike..aww hmmm...last year i hammered some huge ones... biggest being 38 pounds... on sundance side but this year biggest ive pulled up was a 26 pounder...whites are doing pretty good pulled an 8 pounder up this year...went to take a picture and droped my camera down the hole:mad3::mad3::mad3:average size about 3-4 pounds...aww its kinda winky wonkyevery weekend it changes..but i know what you mean ive fished this lake for 18 years..since i was able to hold a rod.. and the fishing has deffinately slowed down alot...i remember before the spill i used to go with my dad and pull in 200 whites a day all over 4 pounds but now...you average about 30 on a slow day and 80 or so on a good day.. i'll probably be heading there on saturday... i'll be in a white jeep grand cherokee..if your there stop by and say hi..