PDA

View Full Version : Utikuma

ice
01-15-2010, 07:55 PM
I Have only ever fished this lake once before, last year,
and the fighing was phenomonel,
Dose anyone know what the ice and snow conditions are like up there.
And what Road would be the best access?
The route i took last year almost resulted in getting stuck, even with 4 wheel.
and how the fishing is doing,

Shmag
01-15-2010, 08:41 PM
Went on at km 86, not too much snow so travelling on the lake was ok in 4x4. Beaten down trail from there to the small island. Stopped one day and fished the bay at 86 caught my limit of walleye in a half hour, would of been 15 min if i didn't have one snap my line. Went back 3-4 days later, same spot and nothing. Mostly been good reports so far this winter, but i do find this lake to be the worst for hit/miss. Mostly walleye/pike reports. Have not heard of anybody having perch luck.

Seems to be good ice any where we travelled

ice
01-15-2010, 09:45 PM
ha i was hoping for some good news on the perch fishing, lol, i got some good sized ones and alot of small ones their last year, along with a whitefish/walleye here and there. the people fishing a little deeper were consistantly pulling up pike. the odd one would come through the shallows through my hole, and scare everything off everyonce and a while. i was using a wire worm and couldnt get the hook set, when they actually took it, but it was a good experience, hopefully all gose well tommorow.

Shmag
01-15-2010, 09:49 PM
Well good luck, be careful on the roads, we have been getting alot of RAIN tonight up here. I am working about an hour north of Utik

sems
01-15-2010, 11:10 PM
I have never fished this lake. But I am leaving the city here at around 4:30. Good to know that we will be able to drive on the ice, but will still check thickness before going too far. Hoping to catch some walleye as well as some pike. But we will try for a bit of everything. Thinking about it now, 4:30 is coming pretty quickly. Guess I should stop browsing the forum!

ice
01-17-2010, 12:43 AM
Well just got back from the trip,
wasnt too bad not overly productive, 20 ish pike (4 keepers 1 Over 10 Pounds), 3 or 4 walleye (Kept 3), 1 perch, 1 whitefish, (Between 5 of us)
We started right out front of Km 86, started by pulling in 2 walleye, and pike, this is where where caught the 10 pounder. it died off at about 11:30. We went over to big island, there is an unusual amount of Ice Heaves Across the Lake, Making it impossible to get anywhere from Km 86 without crossing them. theres one clear across the entire lake, and i few going diagonally, and one along side the big island pushing 20 feet of ice onto shore(Be Carefull Crossing these). the ice was really thick, 2 feet really had to drop the auger into, im guessing your going to need extensions by then end of winter. But we pulled up to big island at about 12 started slow. Pulled up one whitefish one walleye and 8 pike in 3 hours, Decided to go back to km 86, at about 3:30, got back and it also started out slow, pulling up one walleye 2 pike, and at about 4:30 it picked back up, but only pike i personally pulled up 4, i dont know about the rest we were all spread out, but were all pulling them in consistantly, lost quiet a few, we were using walleye hooks, stayed till about 6,
A good day of fishing, definatly going to make sure i get atleast one more trip to this lake in before the ice season is over.

Shmag
01-17-2010, 07:30 AM
Well just got back from the trip,
wasnt too bad not overly productive, 20 ish pike (4 keepers 1 Over 10 Pounds), 3 or 4 walleye (Kept 3), 1 perch, 1 whitefish, (Between 5 of us)
We started right out front of Km 86, started by pulling in 2 walleye, and pike, this is where where caught the 10 pounder. it died off at about 11:30. We went over to big island, there is an unusual amount of Ice Heaves Across the Lake, Making it impossible to get anywhere from Km 86 without crossing them. theres one clear across the entire lake, and i few going diagonally, and one along side the big island pushing 20 feet of ice onto shore(Be Carefull Crossing these). the ice was really thick, 2 feet really had to drop the auger into, im guessing your going to need extensions by then end of winter. But we pulled up to big island at about 12 started slow. Pulled up one whitefish one walleye and 8 pike in 3 hours, Decided to go back to km 86, at about 3:30, got back and it also started out slow, pulling up one walleye 2 pike, and at about 4:30 it picked back up, but only pike i personally pulled up 4, i dont know about the rest we were all spread out, but were all pulling them in consistantly, lost quiet a few, we were using walleye hooks, stayed till about 6,
A good day of fishing, definatly going to make sure i get atleast one more trip to this lake in before the ice season is over.

Sounds like a pretty good day, after reading your post i thought damn it i forgot to tell you about all the ice heav's. This lake usually has alot of them every year...more so around the big island

bossmann
01-17-2010, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the report. I have gone a couple times this year and generally results like you had. I am just looking for one of those killer days where your hands bleed form throwing walleye back.

snipes
01-19-2010, 08:46 PM
I have had a couple of the "endless walleye days "this year but also a few days of 1 or 2 hammer handles. Have tried all around the Island,west side and the south bay for perch with no luck. Best fishing so far has been at km 86 for me.

Schmag have you tried joker lake at all in the last couple of years? I was working near it the other day and looks like a lot of traffic has been on it. I know it used to be good but like most good perch lakes it winterkilled years ago. I did read somewhere that it was restocked in 04, but have trouble finding fishing reports on it.

bossmann
01-19-2010, 10:08 PM
i picked up a fiew perch the other day off the south east point of the small island but not a good enough number to write home about although good qulaity. the km86 accesss you talk about is that at the camp on the hiway?

i havent tryed that east shoreline yet i generaly go strait to the island area and work that.

fishunter77
01-19-2010, 10:20 PM
I have not been to Utikama in 5 years. The perch there at one time were awesome.:)

Size and numbers. The lake seems to winterkill every couple of years and then rebounds real fast.

Sounds like you guys have been doing OK

fishunter77
01-19-2010, 10:22 PM
Forgot to mention in my last post.

Are they still netting Utikama?

bossmann
01-19-2010, 10:29 PM
dont know about doing well. nothing like it used to be. i guess i keep trying to maybe get one of those days again. i think they been doing better at slave.

fishunter77
01-19-2010, 10:32 PM
Bossman,

I am sure you will hit a day at Utikama when your arms get sore from fighting fish.

Good luck the next time you make it out.:)

noslack
01-19-2010, 11:13 PM
I was out on Utikuma on Sunday. I arrived at the lake at 1 pm and fished till 5. I caught 12 pike and 5 walleye. 3 nice one's too! a 4.5 pounder, a 3 pounder and a 2.5 pounder!!! so 17 fish in 4 hours of fishing. Also my first time ever on the lake.

the road from highway 88 isn't too bad. I drove on with my Mazda Protege.

I'm going back up on Saturday if anybody from the board is up there this weekend, and you see a Blue Shelter ( Clam 2000 ) nock and say hi!!

fishunter77
01-19-2010, 11:22 PM
Good luck No Slack. Did you manage to catch the odd perch?

noslack
01-20-2010, 01:16 PM
No perch!!!

But I was marking Tons of Baitfish...I'm assuming small perch on the bottom of 14 feet. They could be whitefish though...

I'll report back upon my return.

Prairieboy
01-20-2010, 09:24 PM
If you are getting into big pike and walleye, there should be little concern over the perch population surviving the winter kill. You'll get into them and they'll be bigguns :)

Shmag
01-21-2010, 10:43 AM
I have had a couple of the "endless walleye days "this year but also a few days of 1 or 2 hammer handles. Have tried all around the Island,west side and the south bay for perch with no luck. Best fishing so far has been at km 86 for me.

Schmag have you tried joker lake at all in the last couple of years? I was working near it the other day and looks like a lot of traffic has been on it. I know it used to be good but like most good perch lakes it winterkilled years ago. I did read somewhere that it was restocked in 04, but have trouble finding fishing reports on it.

The last time i fished joker was before the kill, have not heard anything on it. I read in Barry Mitchells fishing guide that it was restocked in 05-06 and will need time, so some might be trying it out. I think the last time we tried it we must of caught 200 perch under a quarter lb

Shmag
01-21-2010, 10:50 AM
i picked up a fiew perch the other day off the south east point of the small island but not a good enough number to write home about although good qulaity. the km86 accesss you talk about is that at the camp on the hiway?

i havent tryed that east shoreline yet i generaly go strait to the island area and work that.

No...km 80 is where the camp is off the highway it would be a 5 km road into the lake at this turn off. Km 86 is a short 200yd lease road off the highway and you have to drive over the berm and your on the bay right there. The bay is shallow, so don't expect to find more than oh 6-8 ft of water

Was at Utik yesterday, the jacks were sure hungry and really had to work for the walleye.