PDA

View Full Version : highwood river

los
01-15-2010, 09:35 PM
I have just started fly fishing 2 years ago and i really enjoy going to the highwood river but i find it very difficult to ceatch any fish and i think its because im not sure of what types of flys are recommended for rainbow and cutthroat

thanks

notagoodtroutfisher
01-16-2010, 08:57 AM
fish small nymphs in deep, slow water.

lifesaflyin
01-16-2010, 12:21 PM
need to match the hatch or flip over a few stones to see what bugs are in the area.

highwood
01-16-2010, 12:31 PM
If you fish with any high floating dry, you will catch some cutts in the upper highwood. Typically stimulators in a variety of sizes work quite well. Its also a good idea to use a dropper (some variety of bead head nymph) if the fishings tough. If you're fishing the canyon section, dredging the deep pools with larger streamers is a good way to pick the odd large cutt/rainbow/bull. Sink tip lines are very helpful as some of these pools are 20 ft deep and hold large bulls.The riffles downstream of the large plunge pools usually hold numerous small rainbows and cutts which readily rise to drys in clear water conditions. Its a great section to work on your mending skills as well. If you are struggling with the highwood, dont overlook some of the small tribs, they can be fun for small cutts until you become a more proficient caster.This ia a great little river and everyone please try to keep the canyon section clean !!

Highwood