PDA

View Full Version : Where Can I Get Lead for Melting?

jrcw
01-15-2010, 10:05 PM
I've bought a mold to make my own jigs and I'd rather find the lead for free (or at least cheap) than pay top dollar for it at Bass Pro. I've had zero luck getting wheel weights from the local tire shops, someone has always beaten me to it! Any suggestions on where a guy could get some scrap lead would be much appreciated. :)

Sir Landsalot
01-15-2010, 10:12 PM
If I might, I would suggest you try taking it out of Dave Bronconnier's....I think you'll find the motherlode there. Several other members of Calgary city council are probably good bets as well. ;)

tchow
01-15-2010, 10:16 PM
If you have any buddy's that are Plumbers, asked them. Sometimes they have a bin of "old lead" sitting around. Usually they wait until they have a bunch before taking it in.
I would advise if this will be your first time pouring, to do in a well ventilated area. Outside being the best. It gives off Toxic fumes.
Heat your mold prior so you have the Lead cooling off evenly in the Mold.

lone wolf
01-15-2010, 10:17 PM
I've bought a mold to make my own jigs and I'd rather find the lead for free (or at least cheap) than pay top dollar for it at Bass Pro. I've had zero luck getting wheel weights from the local tire shops, someone has always beaten me to it! Any suggestions on where a guy could get some scrap lead would be much appreciated. :)

PM sent

dezmo
01-15-2010, 10:22 PM
tell'em dez sent you you might get a discount...;)

jusfloatin
01-16-2010, 06:13 AM
Check out the nearest dive shop. ( weight belts )

deanmc
01-16-2010, 07:05 AM
Tire shops usually have a few buckets of old balancing weights.

WayneChristie
01-16-2010, 07:23 AM
check out a shooting range. they told me once if I could carry the 5 gallon pail out to the car I could have it. yah right! :D lots of older cars have hoods with no locks, :evilgrin:

splake0
01-16-2010, 07:57 AM
I buy my lead at scrap metal yards like Scrap City etc.

Gillfisher
01-16-2010, 08:21 AM
I would be up for a trade as I am pretty sure I have a bunch of soft sheet lead sitting around. It is clean & melts quick. And I would trade for Crown Royal. If you want to reply please do so here as last time I tried to open a PM I was unable to.

Gillfisher

deanmc
01-16-2010, 08:30 AM
I would be up for a trade as I am pretty sure I have a bunch of soft sheet lead sitting around. It is clean & melts quick. And I would trade for Crown Royal. If you want to reply please do so here as last time I tried to open a PM I was unable to.

Gillfisher

That would be awesome if you could trade pound for pound. I might start checking car hoods!!:evilgrin:

Boatbuilder
01-16-2010, 08:46 AM
I have gotten weights from tire shops. I need alot as I am making 12lb and 15lb downrigger weights. When ever I drive by the a tire shop I try to stop and ask for some. Sometimes they have some to give and sometimes they don't. It has been the best way to find them for me. Whenever I need tires for vehicle the tire shops have always given me weights. I would keep trying to get from them. I have 1 place that gives me alot of weights so I am in process of building a Damascus knife for the fellow that gives me the weights.
How much weight are you looking for and where do you live?

:wave:

jrcw
01-16-2010, 11:39 AM
Thanks for the replies everybody. Seems like there are a few options out there besides old wheel weights. GILLFISHER: How big are these sheets of yours? This is my first attempt at jig making so I only need a small amount of lead (5 pounds would make quite a few jigs!).

lifesaflyin
01-16-2010, 12:02 PM
go to a selfserve auto wrecker, bring a 5 gallon bucket needle nose pliers and a little red wagon lol. look out for those crappy tin ones

splake0
01-16-2010, 12:19 PM
where do you live? Maybe I can help???

Gillfisher
01-16-2010, 05:40 PM
The lead I have is in small pieces and folds up easily and coul be carried away in a 5 gallon pail or garbage bag. It is sheet lead that is used in office bldg ceilings as soundproofing.

Gillfisher

Boatbuilder
01-16-2010, 06:40 PM
Here are a few pics from Scandia West Fishing CLUB

WayneChristie
01-16-2010, 06:49 PM
Here are a few pics from Scandia West Fishing CLUB

beautiful fish , wrong thread :D you get those in Tilley B? Im on my way :lol: