PDA

View Full Version : Burbot Fillets recipe?

kinwahkly
01-16-2010, 01:38 PM
Caught some Burbot last night, skinned them and fillet them up and then going to cook tonite for dinner, never cooked them before any suggestions

Geezle
01-16-2010, 01:43 PM
I don't have a recipe for you, but all I can say is FISH & CHIPS!

Burbot makes for awesome fish and chips. I'm sure a few people will chime in with their favorite batter recipes :)

craggerss
01-16-2010, 01:54 PM
Just throw them in a frying pan with some butter,onoions,salt,and pepper and a little bit of garlic plus and enjoy. yummy

rustynailz
01-16-2010, 02:11 PM
Get a bowl and two plates.

First plate: 1 cup of flour and a really good heaping tablespoon of cornstarch.
Bowl: Two eggs and a good glug of buttermilk. Mix well.
Second plate: 1 cup of panko, 1/2c of regular bread crumbs, 1/4c of parmesan, 1/4c of sesame seeds, a good whack of salt and pepper.

Take the fillets, dust them in the first plate and shake off all excess. Run through the egg mixture and dredge in the breading.

Let them sit for 10 minutes to set up. Fry in 350 degree oil for 4-5 minutes. Drain and enjoy with a frosty beer.

mooseknuckle
01-16-2010, 03:01 PM
Get a bowl and two plates.

First plate: 1 cup of flour and a really good heaping tablespoon of cornstarch.
Bowl: Two eggs and a good glug of buttermilk. Mix well.
Second plate: 1 cup of panko, 1/2c of regular bread crumbs, 1/4c of parmesan, 1/4c of sesame seeds, a good whack of salt and pepper.

Take the fillets, dust them in the first plate and shake off all excess. Run through the egg mixture and dredge in the breading.

Let them sit for 10 minutes to set up. Fry in 350 degree oil for 4-5 minutes. Drain and enjoy with a frosty beer.

This recipe is awesome. I let them sit in the freezer for 10 minutes it seems to allow the mixture to set to the fillet a little better than room temp but rustynailz has it bang on!! Enjoy :wave:

WayneChristie
01-16-2010, 07:30 PM
theres not really a bad way to cook them :)

Bud Leight
01-16-2010, 07:43 PM
theres not really a bad way to cook them :)

very informative. thanks wayne

Geezle
01-16-2010, 07:47 PM
very informative. thanks wayne

Very informative, thanks Bud :wave:

WayneChristie
01-16-2010, 07:53 PM
Now Geezle, dont feed the http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/troll.jpg

Geezle
01-16-2010, 08:05 PM
Bwahahaha that pic is awesome! :lol: :lol: :lol:

And I'm pretty sure Bud Leight (and enzo) are not trolls, but rather toys here for our amusement :D

spurly
01-16-2010, 08:09 PM
A good batter can be made with:
Aunt Jemima pancake mix, and 7-up

WayneChristie
01-16-2010, 08:11 PM
Bwahahaha that pic is awesome! :lol: :lol: :lol:

And I'm pretty sure Bud Leight (and enzo) are not trolls, but rather toys here for our amusement :D

I think I found the cure for http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/trolla.jpg
its a new release!!! unike fisherwomans fish spray, this stuff is supposed to work wonders!!!!
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/258Troll_spray.jpg
My apologies to the OP

mooseknuckle
01-16-2010, 08:19 PM
I think I found the cure for http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/trolla.jpg
its a new release!!! unike fisherwomans fish spray, this stuff is supposed to work wonders!!!!
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/258Troll_spray.jpg
My apologies to the OP

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: NOW WE'RE ROLLIN' :D

tolait
01-16-2010, 09:22 PM
go to bass pro get a can of uncle bucks fish coating,add honey brown beer to make batter deep fry and enjoy. mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

pikester
01-16-2010, 10:05 PM
Caught some Burbot last night, skinned them and fillet them up and then going to cook tonite for dinner, never cooked them before any suggestions

I guess you've already had supper by now so hopefully it turned out good! Rustynailz's recipe sounds awesome i think I'll try it out next time but I'll tell you what I do.

1)- Put some pancake batter mix ( I prefer Krusteaz from Costco) into a large Ziploc bag, or bread bag.

2)- Add a generous helping of Mrs. Dash Lemon & some extra salt. Shake up well.

3)- Rinse & dry fillets, set fillets temporarily in a bowl with milk. Shake excess milk off fillets & put 2 or 3 at a time in the bag & shake up good.

4)- Deep fry fillets in butter or oil, enjoy! This recipe works just as good for pan frying perch or walleye.

Fieldmaster63
06-25-2011, 03:31 PM
I had fish the other night and they used pancake mix lemon pepper and then added enough Franks Red Hot to make it the consistancy of a runny pancake batter. Dip your fish and fry in a cast iron frying pan with 1-1 1/2" oil onver med high heat. It was the best fish batter I've had.

Krush
06-26-2011, 10:55 AM
I, too, have tried Rustynailz's recipe with a couple different types of fish (burbot was one of them). It is awesome! Very yummy and well worth the little bit of extra effort.

BGSH
06-26-2011, 10:58 AM
never tried burbot

ndw
06-27-2011, 12:32 AM
In small frying pan saute un little bit dill, garlic and savory in butter. Cube up the burbot ins about one inch squares. Boil it till it starts turning white or comes to the top. Strain in and then dip it in your sauce with a toothpick. Do not over cook it or it will turn rubbery. Another way is flour with a little bit of garlic, dill and savory. Dip the small pieces in a beer and water mix, roll them in the flour seasoning and then deep fry them. Good luck.

deltravers
06-27-2011, 09:30 PM
You need beer (whatever your preference) 12 should do it.

2 cups of pancnake mix

Table-spoon of baking soda

Flour

2 Eggs

Open one or three of the Beers.

Tell your wife to mix the eggs,baking soda, pancake mix and 1/2 of one of the beers to make batter. Then dust the Burbot in the flour then drop in the batter. Then to the med-hot pan with about an " of oil. 3-4 min a side and they should be tasty.

Open more beers and enjoy while supper is made.

Daceminnow
06-27-2011, 09:40 PM
we keep it simple, and it's unbelievably good done this way.

-fillet and cut into three inch strips
-boil in sea salt water till fish turns white and firm, don't be cheap with the salt
-remove from water a fry for a couple minutes in fresh garlic and butter.

simply and unreal. try it.