PDA

View Full Version : Dickson Dam ice free?

tbone616
01-16-2010, 08:30 PM
Does anybody know if the Red Deer river is and stays ice free directly below Dickson Dam? I heard this from someone a while ago but i'm not sure if it's true. It would seem to reason that it would because of the constant water flow from the dam but before i head out i thought i'd ask. With the nice weather we are having i want to try out some new fly fishing gear that i don't think i can wait till spring to try. :lol: Thanks.

Squeeker
01-17-2010, 09:15 PM
Under the spillway is usually frozen, but the turbines remain free of ice most of the year. Check regs to make sure river is open to fish. Bring lots of extra lures though, thousands of $$ in snagged lures in there.

tbone616
01-18-2010, 02:40 AM
Thanks Squeeker, ya i meant directly below the turbines. According to the regs down stream of Dickson Dam is open till Feb 28th so if there's a patch of open water i think i'll give it a shot. Got this week off and have no plans plus tomorrow is supposed to be plus 2 so good enough for me!

Red Deer River
from the Dickson Dam downstream to the Tolman Bridge (Sec. Rd. 585 [14-33-22-W4])
May 15 to Feb. 28 – Trout limit 0; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Walleye limit 0; Sauger limit 3 (no size limit); Pike limit 3 over 63 cm; Burbot limit 10; Goldeye limit 10; Maggots are the only bait allowed.
Mar. 1 to May 14 – CLOSED

TroutHunter
01-18-2010, 04:50 PM
I fish there quite a bit in the winter. There is usually a fair bit of open water right around the boat launch when the chinooks roll through. The walleye should be stacked up in there nicely right about now. I would recommend fishing very early if you're looking for walleye , and early afternoon for Browns.