PDA

View Full Version : gull lake

Soiler
01-16-2010, 09:44 PM
Whats the word about gull? prolly headin out there tomorrow & was wondering how the lucks been out there for the whites?

.millartime.
01-16-2010, 10:44 PM
been out there about 4 time so far just off of brownslow landing near camp silversides. Lots of nice sized pike swimming around few perch and a few ling cod, but never seen any whitefish.

jrs
01-17-2010, 07:57 PM
Maybe a bit late to respond for you. I made it out there Saturday to give the whites a try and there is some sketchy flood ice. You'll see water in tire tracks in a few spots. I measured as little as 8'' of ice in a few of these "slushy" areas and buddy found as little as 7''. That much ice will generally hold a vehicle but another risk is dropping through the slush and getting high centred and stuck. Saw a few vehicles really struggling. The worst spots i encountered were on the east side, got worse as i worked my way towards the north end. At one point i went to shovel the snow from around a hole i just dug and the shovel went over half way through, very soft from the water on top. The main trails are hard packed and in good shape but i'd recommend caution to anyone being more adventurous. Reminds me of April ice conditions most years, except thinner.

As for the white's, saw a few, only caught one. Otherwise only caught a few small pike. Slow but with the weather and time of year that's expected.

edit) there was 14'' of good ice on the south end of the lake, sketchy spots seem fairly isolated.

blackmamba
01-17-2010, 08:28 PM
We managed to get out today and fishing was decent . Managed 6 pike up the whole the biggest being 7 pounds and all were of legal size . Whites were few and far between only seen about 5 and maybe a dozen perch !!
Weather was great but there was a ton of flood ice and was sketchy is some spots for sure !!