PDA

View Full Version : Nicotine & Fishing: Do Smokers Catch Fewer Fish?

DarkAisling
01-17-2010, 09:59 AM
I've had something brought to my attention in the last couple of weeks, and I'm thinking about it quite seriously.

Do cigarette smokers catch fewer fish?

I quit smoking for a couple of weeks a while back, but it didn't stick.

I have always fished with non-smokers, with the exception of my partner who is also a cigarette smoker. I catch fewer fish than the non-smokers I fish with, pure and simple. He (my partner) hasn't caught a darn thing the few times he and I have fished together.

As pointed out by Mr. Christie, the smell of nicotine from my hand transfers to my bait. This is probably going to turn fish off, and it may be that smell that results in fewer catches.

I prefer to think that I have an inferior skill set when it comes to fishing which results in fewer catches, but it may be that my skill set is just fine. The problem could simply be that my dominant hand reeks to high heaven.

Any other smokers catch fewer fish than their non-smoking fishin' buddies?

If so, have you taken any steps to rectify the problem: not talking about quitting smoking . . . asking about latex gloves, using the other hand to bait the hook, etc.

Drano
01-17-2010, 10:24 AM
I've had something brought to my attention in the last couple of weeks, and I'm thinking about it quite seriously.

I have always fished with non-smokers, with the exception of my partner who is also a cigarette smoker. I catch fewer fish than the non-smokers I fish with, pure and simple. He (my partner) hasn't caught a darn thing the few times he and I have fished together.

As pointed out by Mr. Christie, the smell of nicotine from my hand transfers to my bait. This is probably going to turn fish off, and it may be that smell that results in fewer catches.

I prefer to think that I have an inferior skill set when it comes to fishing which results in fewer catches, but it may be that my skill set is just fine. The problem could simply be that my dominant hand reeks to high heaven.

If so, have you taken any steps to rectify the problem: not talking about quitting smoking . . . asking about latex gloves, using the other hand to bait the hook, etc.

Good question, but I can see a few smart azz, answers coming back on this. lol...:D

pecker
01-17-2010, 10:32 AM

no. :)

DarkAisling
01-17-2010, 10:38 AM
Good question, but I can see a few smart azz, answers coming back on this. lol...:D

Thank you. It is a good question, isn't it?

I've got a couple more good ones rattlin' around in my brain . . . both of which will likely throw some of the strictly C&R crowed into a complete tizzy.

Those may come later sometime this week. Don't want to hit the forum with everything all at once ;)

baitfisher83
01-17-2010, 10:38 AM
I always outfish my dad, he smokes like a chimney....lol

deanmc
01-17-2010, 10:40 AM
I quit smoking a year ago. Hasn't seemed to improve my catch ratio any.:cry:

DarkAisling
01-17-2010, 10:44 AM
I always outfish my dad, he smokes like a chimney....lol

You always outfish me, too.

I quit smoking a year ago. Hasn't seemed to improve my catch ratio any.:cry:

While your ratio hasn't changed, has there been any change in the types of fish you're catching: are you now catching species that you didn't seem to be able to catch before?

When Wayne and I were talking about it, he mentioned that burbs may be particularly turned off by nicotine.

tchow
01-17-2010, 10:46 AM
A few of my buds don't smoke. Had days where I outdid them and visa versa.
In fact, a few times, just when I would be getting a smoke out, I would get a bite....Or having a bite to eat!
Perhaps that the ticket ! Pay less attention to fishing and get more fish!:lol::lol:

AvayaAce
01-17-2010, 10:47 AM
In answer to the smoking question - a true story...

My wife and I were fishing at MacGregor Lake years ago while we were still dating. It was a hot - 30 degree Celcius+ day and no one was catching anything.

I had bells on the end of our rods and was laying back and enjoying the beautiful day.

Low and behold, the bell on my wife's rod starting jingling and I immediately grabbed her rod. She was smoking a cigarette and got ****ed at me for touching her rod. I immediately handed her rod to her and told her to chuck the smoke. Now ****ed and always defiant, she thought to herself that you can't tell me what to do.

She started realing in a huge pike and got it quite close to shore. There were a few fishermen in waders in the lake ready to scoop the fish in their nets. The fish was within a foot or two of their nets and all of a sudden the fish just quietly swam away! All of the fisherman consoled her and said good effort.

As I was putting a new hook and bait on her rod - she told me that she burnt the line with her cigarette as she was realing the huge pike in.

Several years later my brother was out ice fishing with my brother-in-law and my brother-in-law was telling him this story. My brother's reply was how can anyone be so stupid. (He was smoking a big cigar at the time.) Right at the end of retelling this story, my brother got a fish on the line and did not want to throw his expensive cigar down on the ice. Guess what he did??? The same thing - burnt the line. I guess they bothed laughed until tears were streaming down their faces.

TRUE STORY! Yes smoking is bad for fishing!!!:lol:

Shmag
01-17-2010, 11:04 AM
You guy's........... GO FISHING !!!

baitfisher83
01-17-2010, 11:10 AM
I want to, but can't :P

DarkAisling
01-17-2010, 11:15 AM
Yes smoking is bad for fishing!!!:lol:

That was a good laugh :) At least your wife admitted to what had happened. That says good things about her character. It says good things about your brother's character that he was able to laugh about it, too.

Did that yesterday . . . have to clean the house and do the laundry today. A woman's work is never done.

Can still think about how to catch more fishies while I procrastinate though :)

fishstix
01-17-2010, 11:17 AM
Hi DA,
I fly fish. I dont smoke. I catch lots of fish. i think that the fish do use scent to identify food. If the scent is wrong or off they will know. That said i fish with a smoker and he catches lots of fish. Im sure the nicotine residue on his fingers tranfer to the flies he ties on. Does it affect his success? Maybe.

PS hows the fly tying going?

Fishstix!!

Who Da Fisherman
01-17-2010, 12:02 PM
Went out the other day with 3 of my bros, they didn't have a bite. I had 10 flags fly and landed 3, largest was 13.5lbs an "I" am the only smoker.
I guess i should have offered them a smoke!!

redneck posse
01-17-2010, 12:12 PM
hell BBJ smokes like a chimney fishing and he out fish's us most times.

baitfisher83
01-17-2010, 12:21 PM
I think he uses the "I'll get out the thong" threat though..

Jimboy
01-17-2010, 12:22 PM
Leave us smokers alone , went to pine sat , and a group pulled in with 2 trucks a small house trailer and a small kids quad , plus lots of kids screaming and carrying on,:tongue2: , camped right on the ice , unloaded the quad and one of the kids started racing around with this noisy machine doing donuts all over the place , kept it up all day , giving the rest of us headaches , and l am sure the fish below head for quieter areas of the lake when they hear this vibration above them , echos for hundreds of yards.
Caught fish smoking , and have walked up on game smoking too , smoking has nothing to do with catching fish , fish love tabako .

Shmag
01-17-2010, 12:32 PM
That was a good laugh :) At least your wife admitted to what had happened. That says good things about her character. It says good things about your brother's character that he was able to laugh about it, too.

Did that yesterday . . . have to clean the house and do the laundry today. A woman's work is never done.

Can still think about how to catch more fishies while I procrastinate though :)

lol

Shmag
01-17-2010, 12:34 PM
I want to, but can't :P

You need to move up to Slave lake, I always have room for more!!!

baitfisher83
01-17-2010, 12:40 PM
I cant move up there...lol wont take my kid that far from her dad..

Shmag
01-17-2010, 01:14 PM
I cant move up there...lol wont take my kid that far from her dad..

That's a GOOD mom !!!

baitfisher83
01-17-2010, 01:18 PM
I try to be...lol

pecker
01-17-2010, 01:29 PM

whats he smok'in . :innocent::lol:

go-big-or-go-home
01-17-2010, 01:38 PM
if anything we catch more fish lol hahaha, i dont know iv never noticed a diffrence

Kodiak
01-17-2010, 02:34 PM
Kind of a funny story as well, took my sister out to catch her first trout trolling at Carson. Got a willow tree in the eye guiding for deer and couldn't work with a scratched cornia.

I finially let her drive at about the hwy43 and 16 exit because I had no depth perception, and had a new 1984 chevy, now this was scary (FOR ME !!.)

To make a long story short, we trolled Carson for 2 hours when she hooked a good one ( 2 - 3 LBS ) BUT THE WIND WAS BLOWING AND WE WERE CROSSING IT. hER FRIKKIN LINE, WHICH i COULDN'T SEE HIT MY CHERRY OF MY SMOKE AFTER quite a long battle and the line was burnt, she lost it.

Never will I be able to forget that. ( I told her she rushed it......:sick: )

I don't think she has caught a trout to date.

Marlin07
01-17-2010, 02:39 PM
I was smoking like a chimney today and out fished my buddy bad, good pike action in the morning......

Unregistered user
01-17-2010, 02:47 PM
I caught more fish back when I used to smoke, especially ice-fishing. Since I quit smoking I haven't had much patience for fishing.

ice
01-17-2010, 03:11 PM
A few of my buds don't smoke. Had days where I outdid them and visa versa.
In fact, a few times, just when I would be getting a smoke out, I would get a bite....Or having a bite to eat!
Perhaps that the ticket ! Pay less attention to fishing and get more fish!:lol::lol:

I agree With this statement, iv had the best of luck when others are having none, along with the other way around, And that is true, i find when im out on a boat, they tend to snag on best when im having a puff, lol
With that burbot thing, i do tend to find that i pull in less burb then the non smoking friends i have, And its the other way around for whitefish, i seem to be able to land a few more.
Good Topic.

ice
01-17-2010, 03:17 PM
In answer to the smoking question - a true story...

My wife and I were fishing at MacGregor Lake years ago while we were still dating. It was a hot - 30 degree Celcius+ day and no one was catching anything.

I had bells on the end of our rods and was laying back and enjoying the beautiful day.

Low and behold, the bell on my wife's rod starting jingling and I immediately grabbed her rod. She was smoking a cigarette and got ****ed at me for touching her rod. I immediately handed her rod to her and told her to chuck the smoke. Now ****ed and always defiant, she thought to herself that you can't tell me what to do.

She started realing in a huge pike and got it quite close to shore. There were a few fishermen in waders in the lake ready to scoop the fish in their nets. The fish was within a foot or two of their nets and all of a sudden the fish just quietly swam away! All of the fisherman consoled her and said good effort.

As I was putting a new hook and bait on her rod - she told me that she burnt the line with her cigarette as she was realing the huge pike in.

Several years later my brother was out ice fishing with my brother-in-law and my brother-in-law was telling him this story. My brother's reply was how can anyone be so stupid. (He was smoking a big cigar at the time.) Right at the end of retelling this story, my brother got a fish on the line and did not want to throw his expensive cigar down on the ice. Guess what he did??? The same thing - burnt the line. I guess they bothed laughed until tears were streaming down their faces.

TRUE STORY! Yes smoking is bad for fishing!!!:lol:

Iv had guys tell me the same thing lol,
that would be harsh,
i havent ever burned right through a line, but have had instances where id be pulling something in with cigarrette in mouth, have a hot ash fall on the line, and fray it up pretty good,

dodger
01-17-2010, 03:37 PM
The secret is after you have a smoke take out a Smelt and squish it up good in your hands. Then scrub the scent in all over your hands just like your using a bar of soap. Then nicotine smell is all gone. ;)

I use to be a 2 pack a day smoker and I have stopped for 12 years now, catching fish is the exact same as before. When a Pike wants to go toe to toe with you he don't care if your a smoker or non smoker.

I do miss bringing in a fish with the smoke rolling up my face into my eyes. Then trying to release a Pike with no vision is always a riot. Even being a non smoker now I still love the thought of burning tobacco in the outdoors.

Dodger.

Geezle
01-17-2010, 06:26 PM
If you're concerned about the scent on your hands, you can try giving your lure/bait a shot of one of the commercially available scents...even if it doesn't work as an attractant on its own, it should at very least mask the smell from your hands.

This thread reminds me of one particular day ice fishing as a kid...we were sitting in my uncle's shack, and every time my aunt lit up a smoke, we would see tullibee's swimming around right under the holes...when the smoke was gone so were the fish...but every time she lit up another they'd come back. To this day I still don't know how that worked :confused:

WayneChristie
01-17-2010, 06:33 PM
If you're concerned about the scent on your hands, you can try giving your lure/bait a shot of one of the commercially available scents...even if it doesn't work as an attractant on its own, it should at very least mask the smell from your hands.

This thread reminds me of one particular day ice fishing as a kid...we were sitting in my uncle's shack, and every time my aunt lit up a smoke, we would see tullibee's swimming around right under the holes...when the smoke was gone so were the fish...but every time she lit up another they'd come back. To this day I still don't know how that worked :confused:
was the cigarette twisted on both ends? :evilgrin:

Geezle
01-17-2010, 06:37 PM

Nope, it was 'standard issue'...otherwise I'd be trying that trick! :lol:

boonedocks
01-17-2010, 09:17 PM
I quit smoking in sept. 08 and I dont have many cravings anymore but I can honestly say that I always crave cigarettes while icefishing. Smoking and fishing just seem to go together. It was an excellent way to kill time between bites. The good news is that I now use my cigarette money to pay for my new truck to get me out fishing more but I dont think that Im catching more fish than when I still smoked.

big
01-18-2010, 01:33 AM
they love chewing tobaky

jjstar
01-18-2010, 07:51 AM
Smoke may not but on the West coast I know guides and commercial fisherman who will not let bananas on the boat as they swear by the fact that something in the fruit possible the gas they use to ripen them, causes the salmon to not go near the lures.

PS and most of them smoke!

redneck posse
01-18-2010, 08:47 AM
I think he uses the "I'll get out the thong" threat though..

LOL your right it is hard to fish with the dry heaves:sick::sick:

Sir Landsalot
01-18-2010, 10:31 AM

Not based on my experience at least.

dezmo
01-18-2010, 12:22 PM
unless you chain smoke, everytime ireach for the pack and spark one i get a bite or i catch one...

mooseknuckle
01-18-2010, 12:27 PM
unless you chain smoke, everytime ireach for the pack and spark one i get a bite or i catch one...

So your a pretty light smoker:lol::lol:

Okotokian
01-18-2010, 12:35 PM
It's not the smoking itself, it's flicking all those cigarette butts into the water that does it. :tongue2: ;)

Probably the only real impact smoking has on fishing is that it makes it harder to hike into those high mountain lakes! I remember one particularly lung-busting trip last year. Smoke-free three months now and looking forward to this year with a little more lung function. :D

DarkAisling
01-18-2010, 01:25 PM
Lots of interesting info in here. Thx :)

hows the fly tying going?

The fly tying is going reasonably well. Unfortunately, it hasn't helped keep me off of the tobacco :( I have no self control. Cigarettes are my last vice, and I appear to be clinging to them.

With that burbot thing, i do tend to find that i pull in less burb then the non smoking friends i have, And its the other way around for whitefish, i seem to be able to land a few more.

:lol: Cool. Whites are next on my "to catch" list. Maybe it'll give me a leg up. Butbot are pretty gross looking anyway ;)

It's not the smoking itself, it's flicking all those cigarette butts into the water that does it. :tongue2: ;)

Anyone who has fished with me can tell you that I have an ashtray in my tackle box. It is one of those ones with a lid that are designed to fit in automobile cup holders. I never flick butts in the water :)

dezmo
01-18-2010, 01:42 PM
So your a pretty light smoker:lol::lol:

I am a light smoker...:tongue2:

CeeZee
01-19-2010, 06:45 AM
i would have to think it doesnt matter, i have the my dad smokes like a chimmney too story along with using mixed gas start the fire, and we all know that you cant get that smell out of your hands very easy, yes you dont spill it on your hands but the container and cap have it. so i think some of it is a myth, it is hard to say for sure i guess.
my 1 cent anyways.

Kim473
01-19-2010, 12:10 PM
I dont think smoking does anything, but I know if ive been drinking the night before I think the shakes helps. Gives the hook a little twiching movement.

Okotokian
01-19-2010, 12:14 PM
I dont think smoking does anything, but I know if ive been drinking the night before I think the shakes helps. Gives the hook a little twiching movement.

:lol: more fun than a LineDancer!

WayneChristie
01-19-2010, 06:14 PM

Anyone who has fished with me can tell you that I have an ashtray in my tackle box. It is one of those ones with a lid that are designed to fit in automobile cup holders. I never flick butts in the water :)

yup you are unique :D

oagie
01-19-2010, 06:16 PM

If I say yes, will you give it another go?

Unregistered user
01-19-2010, 07:40 PM
I remember years ago people used to worry about L-Serene stinking up your lures. Some people secrete more of this fish repelling amino acid than others. A buddy's girlfriend was a pack a day smoker but caught more fish than the rest of us doing everything the same. We just figured she stunk pretty.

JtotheL
01-19-2010, 07:54 PM
It seems like anytime I light a cigarette or get a call on my cell it triggers the fish to strike so I disagree with this thingking.:confused:

fishunter77
01-19-2010, 10:29 PM
I know I chewed tobacco for many years while playing hockey. I quit about 6years ago.

I will chew Skoal only when I ice fish. It actually works better when I am chewing.:) Not sure why

Then a buddy asks for some dip to catch more fish, and turns green in about 5 minutes.:D

WayneChristie
01-19-2010, 10:33 PM
Ive discovered the real reason beer and fishing go so well together, every time I have to get rid of the last brew I get a fish on the line. good thing Im coordinated:D

tchow
01-19-2010, 10:39 PM
Here's an idea !! There should be enough Forum Members out at Gull. Why doesn't someone take a Survey. On one list it'll be Smokers and the other Non-Smokers. At the end of the day, tally up the fish that Smokers got vs the fish that the Non-smokers got.....

I'm on the Smokers list !!:evilgrin::evilgrin:

fishunter77
01-19-2010, 10:40 PM
WayneChristie,

How many full beers have you spilled and then you get a great bite on the end of the line?:lol:

It happens to me all the time.

You lose a good drink and the fish. It is a no win situation.:mad:

fishunter77
01-19-2010, 10:43 PM
Here's an idea !! There should be enough Forum Members out at Gull. Why doesn't someone take a Survey. On one list it'll be Smokers and the other Non-Smokers. At the end of the day, tally up the fish that Smokers got vs the fish that the Non-smokers got.....

Great idea Tchow. Only problem is when I hit the lake I don't take a break.

I may miss the bite of the day. It may be hard to find a volunteer.

DarkAisling
01-20-2010, 01:23 PM
If I say yes, will you give it another go?

Probably not. :o

Fishfinder
01-20-2010, 01:39 PM

:lol:Helps me catch the bigguns...on the open water that is:lol:
I dunno if smoking cigs hurts our chances....I know for sure it don't help though:)

Geezle
01-20-2010, 07:57 PM
Probably not. :o

You should, it's good for ya...builds character and such :)

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
01-20-2010, 08:08 PM

Hell Of an Idea Terry .

Looks like them Non Smokers Or Quitters :lol::lol::lol: ARe done for we Just gotta Get Orv on our side and clean house . Make the X 2 Smokers .

Walleyes
01-20-2010, 08:23 PM
Well it may leave a scent trail but who's to say what a fish smells ?? A fish may smell it and like it. I will guarantee you they don't recognise it as smoke its just a scent.. Garlic is very offensive to some yet it works for a scent in some cases. Remember people these are animals they can not reason !!! don't give them credit they don't deserve. I consider myself a very consistent fishermen for a wide variety of western Canadian species and some of those species are considered a bit trickier than others to catch. I smoked for over 25 years and just quit 3 1/2 years ago and I personally have not seen a difference in my catches. I never let anyone bait my hook then and I still don't..

WayneChristie
01-20-2010, 09:58 PM
Im a non, and we shall have to see at Gull. :D never fished it so you smokers will have the advantage anyways, but a pikes a pikes a pike so we shall see.

tchow
01-20-2010, 11:01 PM
Im a non, and we shall have to see at Gull. :D never fished it so you smokers will have the advantage anyways, but a pikes a pikes a pike so we shall see.

"Smokers" will still include all those that inhale other(s) than Tobacco....:evilgrin::evilgrin:

WayneChristie
01-21-2010, 07:22 AM
"Smokers" will still include all those that inhale other(s) than Tobacco....:evilgrin::evilgrin:

:innocent::innocent::innocent::evilgrin:

Fishfinder
01-21-2010, 10:44 AM

:cool:That's great practice DA! Good job. I do the exact same thing and if I'm away from my little ashtray I jus put the butts in my pocket till I can toss em in a garbage. It rubs off on people too, my main fishn budddy has started keeping his too! I'm a pretty hardcore smoker but I can't stand seeing butts laying all over place out there, if not for environmental reasons, it jus looks gross. Anyways keep it up!:)

WayneChristie
01-21-2010, 06:14 PM
:cool:That's great practice DA! Good job. I do the exact same thing and if I'm away from my little ashtray I jus put the butts in my pocket till I can toss em in a garbage. It rubs off on people too, my main fishn budddy has started keeping his too! I'm a pretty hardcore smoker but I can't stand seeing butts laying all over place out there, if not for environmental reasons, it jus looks gross. Anyways keep it up!:)

I think those are called "roaches" :evilgrin:

TroutHunter
01-21-2010, 07:43 PM
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/29/batman.jpg