PDA

View Full Version : Portable Ice Huts, what to buy!!!

Drano
01-17-2010, 10:58 AM
More and more hard ice anglers are opting for a more comfortable solution to ice fishing. The days of fighting a biting wind and frigid temperatures are over. You can eliminate layers of cloths and still stay warm and dry. I've been ice fishing for 30 years and I can tell you first hand using an ice fishing shelter made an enormous difference for me. If you don't already own a shelter I would like to offer some guidelines for choosing a shelter based on my experiences.

1) Size - when deciding on the size think about what you will need in the tent with you. You will need something to sit on, a place to put a bucket of minnows, lantern for heat and light, small tackle box, I usually can take my coat off in my shelter so I need a place to set that. It will be your preference but I like a lot of room. If you want to be able to stand up make sure you get a shelter tall enough to accommodate your height.

2) Your shelter should be portable - many times it is necessary to move around the lake to find the fish. Having an ice fishing shelter that allows you to easily move around will be to your advantage. Most portable shelters can easily be moved without being taken down.

3) Weather proof - make sure to buy a quality product with durable material. Your shelter should be able to withstand strong winds and water resistant to keep you dry.

4) Easy set-up - once you get to the lake you want to go fishing you don't want to fumble around trying to set up your shelter. It already takes time to drill holes and get set up. Make it simple, make it fun.

Thought this might help answer some questions.

gramps73
01-17-2010, 02:12 PM
great advice

WayneChristie
01-17-2010, 04:43 PM
size wise, go bigger than you think you will need. I find my 2 man is great for one, ok for two but crowded. a 6 man pop up is great for 4 people with their gear, after that it gets crowded. the pop ups are easy to set up and pack up, and dont take up too much room in a vehicle. Ive found I go fishing way more often now that I can get out of the wind and weather.

denpacc
01-17-2010, 06:12 PM
great advice

X2.

The only thing I worry about now that I have my portible ice fishing tent is if my truck will start when it is too cold.:D

Cheer

Drop_Tine
01-17-2010, 08:11 PM
Well in my opinion i would go with the eskimo quick flip or the Team Wild...it takes 30 seconds to set them up and 1 min to take them down and thats tucking everything in and putting the travel cover on.....they are an awsome shack. The team wild ice shack would prob be the one i would go with, if i was to buy another shack ....right know i have the eskimo quick flip in a 2 man its just right for me..... by the time i throw in a underwater camera, flasher, and a 10 lbs propane bottle/heater and i still have lots of room to mave around,stretch out, tie hooks , and be relaxed & catch fish.

bowness
01-17-2010, 08:30 PM
My dad got us the ice cube four man for x-mas. Holds/fishes 3 comfortably with a heater.
-very quick set up and the screw anchors seem good although I have not set it up at Spray so it really has'nt had an "Alberta Challenge".

deerpig
01-17-2010, 09:20 PM
Well in my opinion i would go with the eskimo quick flip or the Team Wild...it takes 30 seconds to set them up and 1 min to take them down and thats tucking everything in and putting the travel cover on.....they are an awsome shack. The team wild ice shack would prob be the one i would go with, if i was to buy another shack ....right know i have the eskimo quick flip in a 2 man its just right for me..... by the time i throw in a underwater camera, flasher, and a 10 lbs propane bottle/heater and i still have lots of room to mave around,stretch out, tie hooks , and be relaxed & catch fish.

agreed. I think the Clam ice tents are the way of the market.. they are the same system as the eskimo quick flips, and team wild... quick set up, come in a sled... all the gear can be in the sled and ready to rock!
I also like the Otter tents, but they are hard to find in Canada...

Good read... tents to up the ice time, even warmer days that are windy... help out alot! when i wanna move, i just flip it back.. drag it and pound my three holes... middle for the flasher, two outsides for a dead rod and one for jigging spoons etc.

slipbobber
01-17-2010, 11:24 PM
I see they come in red, blue and black now. Any advantage of one color over another as in being able to see down the holes.