PDA

View Full Version : Whitefish Lures/Colors/Bait

J-C
01-17-2010, 07:10 PM
Had a great day fishing, saw tonnes of whites. They didn't seem too anxious to eat our minnow heads. We fished all day and i found a snail, used the meat as bait. One came to investigate but i spooked him off :(. Some guys came beside us and after about 10 minutes there was one flopping on the ice. What sorts of lures, colors of wire worms, and baits does everyone seem to find effective?

moosehunter3-0
01-17-2010, 07:38 PM
when they come in like that, drop it on the bottom and leave your hook still, if they loose interest bring it back up. Sometimes on the second time they smack it. chartreuse, copper, yellow, red ect work but it depends on the lake.

J-C
01-17-2010, 08:01 PM
lol the funny thing is it was about a foot from the top. there was no real consistency with depth and most of them were disinterested but i will try your color suggestions. they seemed easily spooked so maybe i will use slower jigs too

deerpig
01-17-2010, 09:16 PM
i know of guys that use smaller silver or gold jigging spoons to give it flash, and then drop off the bottom about 2 feet with a wireworm, bloodworm, or chironomid..... when they come in leave it still and they should suck it up...whites are a tough market sometimes... lol good luck!

J-C
01-17-2010, 09:59 PM
i know of guys that use smaller silver or gold jigging spoons to give it flash, and then drop off the bottom about 2 feet with a wireworm, bloodworm, or chironomid..... when they come in leave it still and they should suck it up...whites are a tough market sometimes... lol good luck!

any advise on bait?

Backwoods boy
01-18-2010, 11:24 AM
Had a great day fishing, saw tonnes of whites. They didn't seem too anxious to eat our minnow heads. We fished all day and i found a snail, used the meat as bait. One came to investigate but i spooked him off :(. Some guys came beside us and after about 10 minutes there was one flopping on the ice. What sorts of lures, colors of wire worms, and baits does everyone seem to find effective?

What lake were you fishing on?

J-C
01-18-2010, 03:52 PM
Pigeon Lake

lifesaflyin
01-18-2010, 03:56 PM
I find the gold swedish pimples work ok. they did not touch any lure of mine with maggots.

im still getting the hang of pigeon lake though. i have yet to find a good combination.

J-C
01-18-2010, 04:06 PM
Perhaps no bait will work. Maybe plain wire worms 90 degrees w/ the line? I will have to try it next time. Where can i get wire worms i can only find them at the fishing hole in red.

Wulfespirit
01-18-2010, 04:09 PM
Honestly, I doubt you were doing anything wrong but the 90 degree thing on wireworms is a good tip. The whites are being extremely finicky almost everywhere right now. Keep at them as they seem to get fiesty here and there for short periods of time allowing anglers to cash in.

J-C
01-18-2010, 04:15 PM
Honestly, I doubt you were doing anything wrong but the 90 degree thing on wireworms is a good tip. The whites are being extremely finicky almost everywhere right now. Keep at them as they seem to get fiesty here and there for short periods of time allowing anglers to cash in.

as soon as the full moon is out i'll be there all week. its fun to see a big school of whites but catching even 1 fish makes the trip worth it IMO no matter how far you travel.

lifesaflyin
01-18-2010, 04:15 PM
jc

wireworms are easy to make. head to thefishin hole and buy a pack of hooks and clear head cement from the flytying section.

find any old data cables like cat 5 and strip em open and wind them on the hook then apply the head cement all over it. done for about 10 cents:) if you want other colors get some of those hobbie shop paints and paint them and coat over it with the head cement.:)

J-C
01-18-2010, 04:20 PM
jc

wireworms are easy to make. head to thefishin hole and buy a pack of hooks and clear head cement from the flytying section.

find any old data cables like cat 5 and strip em open and wind them on the hook then apply the head cement all over it. done for about 10 cents:) if you want other colors get some of those hobbie shop paints and paint them and coat over it with the head cement.:)

does the head cement deter the fish at all? i have some old headphones i should be able to use too. Thanks

lifesaflyin
01-18-2010, 04:40 PM
nope thehead cement is clear and doesnt smell after it dries.i use it for all my flies.

headphones are awsome mine had red strand wire in there they made really good bloodworms:) you may want some of those rapala self locking pliers to hold the hook with. thats what i use. i dont bother digging out the vice for wireworms anymore with them pliers

JFK
01-18-2010, 05:04 PM
nope thehead cement is clear and doesnt smell after it dries.i use it for all my flies.

headphones are awsome mine had red strand wire in there they made really good bloodworms:) you may want some of those rapala self locking pliers to hold the hook with. thats what i use. i dont bother digging out the vice for wireworms anymore with them pliers

Thanks For The Tips
JFK:wave:

fishunter77
01-18-2010, 07:59 PM
Hey JFK,

Are you going to fire up the new smoker you just made for the Whites?

Looks like I will be your guide again.:lol:

Take care and get the Brine solution ready!!:) We always need a bartender!!

JFK
01-18-2010, 08:45 PM
Okay you can guide me fishhunter77, sit me over a hole, and I will show you how to throw them on the ice:tongue2:
Smoker and brine will be ready to rock;)
What!!! our tarbender quit I cant catch all the fish and tarbend as well, we must find a replacement!!!!:lol:

fishunter77
01-18-2010, 09:10 PM
Sounds like the Tarbender wants to come out again. I got to give the young guy credit.:) He could be chasing women around the ice instead of fish.:lol:

Hope we have another great trip!!:D

shorthair ptr.
01-18-2010, 10:18 PM
Where do you guys start looking for whites on a lake like pigeon? I'm not trying to take your spots, just would like to maybe catch my first whitefish.

lifesaflyin
01-18-2010, 10:21 PM
Where do you guys start looking for whites on a lake like pigeon? I'm not trying to take your spots, just would like to maybe catch my first whitefish.

to get started just follow the people and stay on the outside edge.

fishunter77
01-18-2010, 10:51 PM
to get started just follow the people and stay on the outside edge.

Great idea. Not everyone will be catching, but this is a very good suggestion.

If you are nice and see a few people catching go up and talk to them. You will find a lot of people will help you out.:)

A few get mad that you are disturbing them.:tongue2:

Pigeon is a huge lake and there is no right or wrong spot. In the past I have caught them all over the lake.

Keep trying and have some fun out on the ice.

fishunter77
01-19-2010, 10:36 PM
JFK,

Are you making some home made wire worms? You have to do your homework before you come out with me this trip. :lol:

Get the smoker ready buddy!!:love:

RedFisher
01-20-2010, 03:39 PM
personaly ive mostly fished wabanum for whites with the exception of going to lac. st. anne...aka..lac st. no f%^&ing white fish..although i do tend to snag a few every year...anyways... ive always found a copper wire worn with either a red bead or red top always worked the best...

J-C
01-20-2010, 04:03 PM
personaly ive mostly fished wabanum for whites with the exception of going to lac. st. anne...aka..lac st. no f%^&ing white fish..although i do tend to snag a few every year...anyways... ive always found a copper wire worn with either a red bead or red top always worked the best...

Interesting... i'll have to try a whole bonch of colors out and see then lol