PDA

View Full Version : Alberta fish inedible ?

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
01-18-2010, 03:38 PM
I found this on Ice Shanty thought it was rather interesting . Is it gonna stop most of us Nope . Is it gonna effect people from far and wide to spend money on recreational fishing in Alberta ? Doubtful , Is this some " Treehugger " trying to stir the pot cause a ruckus , More then likely . Now whats your take on things after reading it ?

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/Alberta+fish+inedible+activist+says/2454394/story.html

Alberta fish inedible, U.S. activist says

Province disputes contamination claims

By Suzanne Wilton, Calgary Herald; Canwest News ServiceJanuary 18, 2010Comments (26)

Alberta environment officials are striking back after a famed environmentalist claimed that 90 per cent of the province's fish are inedible.

Robert F. Kennedy, son of the slain U.S. senator, made the comment in a speech to 620 people at a Saturday night fundraising event at the Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel for his Waterkeeper Alliance.

"I was quite alarmed to hear that statistic," Banff Mayor John Stutz said Sunday. "We don't have any indicators or information that our fish aren't completely safe here."

Stutz, who attended the posh gala and heard the speech, said fishing is a popular activity in Banff National Park, and worries that tourism could be affected by Kennedy's claims.

But officials with Kennedy's organization stood behind his claims Sunday. Mark Mattson, president and waterkeeper for Lake Ontario and secretary for Waterkeeper Alliance, said eating any freshwater fish is risky because of a variety of contaminants, particularly mercury.

"It's a major concern right across North America," he said. "Alberta is no different."

Recreational fishing contributed more than $350 million to Alberta's economy in 2000, while commercial fishing is a $5 million-per-year industry, according to Alberta Sustainable Resource Development Ministry.

Albertadiver
01-18-2010, 03:39 PM
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=50287

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
01-18-2010, 03:43 PM
OPPS MY BAD :lol::lol::lol::lol: I got The walkin farts :evilgrin::evilgrin::evilgrin:

lifesaflyin
01-18-2010, 03:48 PM
Its a bunch of bull. just like wendy cukier the gun grabber, they make thier own statistics to back thier agenda and say what they want to make themselves look good. anybody who acually does 20 minutes of research will find out the facts then could call that activist a lier right to thier face.

we do have natural deposits of mercury no doubt about that though.:(

Ick iceshanty? I was banned for calling kingfishers on his lies. yet he continues to be able to troll there with walleye wisperer.:mad3: too bad too. i did alot of work to keep people safe on the ice.

hal53
01-18-2010, 03:55 PM
Wonder how many headlines the wannabe Kennedy would get if he stated that the fish in Chesapeake Bay or off Hyannis Port were unfit????...yet he shows up here once a year to tell us how bad we are????....too bad the Herald and Journal have enough room to print this stuff

J-C
01-18-2010, 04:01 PM
Wonder how many headlines the wannabe Kennedy would get if he stated that the fish in Chesapeake Bay or off Hyannis Port were unfit????...yet he shows up here once a year to tell us how bad we are????....too bad the Herald and Journal have enough room to print this stuff

i agree. a whole bunch of garbage. he can eat 90 % of the fish in alberta and if he gets mercury poisoning i guess he was right:)

Drano
01-18-2010, 05:45 PM
He is always on about something when he comes here.

Or maybe that should read he is always on something when he is here.:lol::wave:

WayneChristie
01-18-2010, 05:55 PM
all Alberta fish are poison, so all you Yanktards stay home and leave them for us to catch. :D

baitfisher83
01-18-2010, 05:57 PM
There's nothing wrong with having a little bit of a "glowing" complex...Fish on people!

Geezle
01-18-2010, 07:31 PM
There's nothing wrong with having a little bit of a "glowing" complex...Fish on people!

X2 it's good for you...builds character :D

WayneChristie
01-18-2010, 07:49 PM
OPPS MY BAD :lol::lol::lol::lol: I got The walkin farts :evilgrin::evilgrin::evilgrin:

and just when I thought you in a tutu or a thong was the worst thing I could ever see. thanks John:sick:

oagie
01-18-2010, 07:53 PM
Ya'll need to remember what this weekend was. The annual superstar Ski weekend at Sunshine. And every year one of them beaks off and causes some stir.

Each one of them has some sort of charity or fund that they pipe money out of. He just needed a news conference and some headlines so he could claim his ski weekend as a business expense.

Don't get too worked up about this. They will all be back here next year and do it all over again.

The Anvil
01-18-2010, 07:54 PM
and just when i thought you in a tutu or a thong was the worst thing i could ever see. Thanks john:sick:

hahaha!

Tony_S
01-18-2010, 08:06 PM
What amazes me even more than the crap Kennedy was spewing....is that there was actually 620 (stupid?)people willing to throw down 500 bucks to listen to him spew! :huh:

danewfy
01-18-2010, 08:22 PM
i sure hope his message gets to some people. could live with a little less fishing pressure. LOLOLOLOL.