PDA

View Full Version : For those with Navionics compatible GPS

AlbertaAngler
01-19-2010, 09:38 AM
New ablerta lakes added (http://www.navionics.com/HMPremium10LakeList.asp?RegionID=5)

Finally they added some more Alberta lakes, but no Newell or Crawling Valley?

Marlin07
01-19-2010, 09:48 AM
Might be a dumb question but are these maps available for hand held GPS? I have a Magellan and would really like to get some maps of lakes for it.

Shmag
01-19-2010, 10:01 AM
New ablerta lakes added (http://www.navionics.com/HMPremium10LakeList.asp?RegionID=5)

I have the western canada one and thought it had all the Alberta lakes, Hmmm...now i am confused maybe i have the lowrance mapping

AlbertaAngler
01-19-2010, 10:09 AM
Might be a dumb question but are these maps available for hand held GPS? I have a Magellan and would really like to get some maps of lakes for it.

They have a list of compatible plotters doesn't look like hand helds are supported. They do have a product for the iphone

I have the western canada one and thought it had all the Alberta lakes, Hmmm...now i am confused maybe i have the lowrance mapping

I have the mapcreate as well, if that's what you're refering to. It does have all the lakes but not the bathymetric data. The navionics maps have the depth contours of the lake.

jesse34567
01-19-2010, 10:10 AM

finally it's been a long time coming.

nicemustang
01-19-2010, 10:35 AM
Cool, how exactly does this work? Basically if you have a compatible unit, you can put the map on your fish finder and see where you are on the map in real time, seeing the structure and depth? If so, that is awesome!

AlbertaAngler
01-19-2010, 10:57 AM
Having not tried it yet (I've been waiting for more than 5 aberta maps) I can't rate it, but that is how it is supposed to work.

Dark
01-19-2010, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the heads up, I will have this puppy by spring

Chris K
01-19-2010, 01:38 PM
Hopefully this is a nice product, but it will probably just be a rendering of the ffree maps we have seen in the past, wich were poor quality, but at least something to go off of. I wish we had maps like on Lake of the Woods or the ones of the places I have fished in the States. The Canadian Government wants money to chart these waters if the maps are for sale, and my understanding is that is why we don't have the good maps up here, as it's not worth the investment for them to come up and map them. They take free stuff, and do the best they can with it.

Chris K

pikester
01-19-2010, 06:46 PM

No kidding, they have Cow & Chestermere but no Newell:huh: I don't get it, I've been emailing Navionics for 2 years already to include Newell but nothing so far. I would have thought the SAWT guys would have been all over Navionics to get it included. I know most guys who fish there a lot have "their spots" but there are also many underwater reefs & points in the south end that would be nice to explore without clogging up the fishfinder! There's so much structure in that lake you could use up all your waypoints pretty easy!

tchow
01-19-2010, 10:59 PM
I also have Map Create6 Topographical with Elevations. If you are looking for CVR, years ago it was called Barkenhouse..Downfall is that Mapcreate is composed of alot of older information that was available.
On the upside, some of the Reservoirs were much smaller back then. Map Create will show some of the old contours which was once above the Flood plain.. Old shorelines are now submerged.
Found some on "old shoreline" on Barkenhouse (Crawling) a couple of years back. We drilled and it was anywhere from 6-8 FOW. On the GPS ( H20 color) it showed that we were still on the land..