PDA

View Full Version : Wylie Lake

TexasTornado
01-19-2010, 12:53 PM
Flying up to Wylie June 23rd - 28th, just wondering if anyone knows anything about the lake and area?

hunter49
01-19-2010, 08:26 PM
That lake reminds me of sylvan

cutthroat666
01-19-2010, 09:53 PM
I have fished Wylie as well as many of the other lakes that Mikisew services. You are going at a decent time. A couple of weeks earlier would typically be considered ideal for pike fishing but as long as the weather doesn't get too warm, too early you should still be able to find some big gals in the bays.

If you are going up looking for lakers they should be moving slowly deeper by then but probably not quite down into the biggest deep hole in the lake (although there is always a few of the biggest hogs in the deepest hole).

The weather in June up there is unpredictable. You could be fishing in 3 degrees with a driving rain or you could be wearing shorts and sandals while getting a tan.

The scenery is spectacular and in June it really doesn't get very dark. In early June you can fish 24 hours a day if you want - it doesn't get dark at all.

On our trips into the area we have had sightings of moose, rabbits, a ton of bald eagles and 2 wolverines. The camp at Wylie is on an island but there have been bears sighted there before. I have never seen bears on any of my 10 trips into the area.

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.

cutthroat :)

TexasTornado
01-20-2010, 10:19 AM
That lake reminds me of sylvan

Hahaha

TexasTornado
01-20-2010, 10:20 AM
I have fished Wylie as well as many of the other lakes that Mikisew services. You are going at a decent time. A couple of weeks earlier would typically be considered ideal for pike fishing but as long as the weather doesn't get too warm, too early you should still be able to find some big gals in the bays.

If you are going up looking for lakers they should be moving slowly deeper by then but probably not quite down into the biggest deep hole in the lake (although there is always a few of the biggest hogs in the deepest hole).

The weather in June up there is unpredictable. You could be fishing in 3 degrees with a driving rain or you could be wearing shorts and sandals while getting a tan.

The scenery is spectacular and in June it really doesn't get very dark. In early June you can fish 24 hours a day if you want - it doesn't get dark at all.

On our trips into the area we have had sightings of moose, rabbits, a ton of bald eagles and 2 wolverines. The camp at Wylie is on an island but there have been bears sighted there before. I have never seen bears on any of my 10 trips into the area.

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.

cutthroat :)

Thanks, looking forward to the trip........

dfrobert
01-22-2010, 09:59 PM
Fished Wylie last year about the 2nd week of June. Fishing was good. Keep a good heads up for rock shelfs in this lake. serious. You can be fishing in 40-50 feet of water and next thing you know you are in 2 feet of water. This lake has a TON of structure so a fish finder is a must. Fishing for pike was fairly straight forward. Best eating pike I have ever had came out of Wylie. For lakers we were using 3-way rigs and deep-sixes/pink ladies to get the lures down to where the lakers were. You may want to use downriggers....Caught lots of 4-8 pound lakers and a few 10-15 lbs. Took us awhile to find where the bigger lakers were. The main deep hole in the lake has areas of structure on all sides of it. You should have fun. Our group sure did.

dfrobert
01-22-2010, 10:03 PM
I will 2nd what Texas Tornado posted about weather being unpredictable, as well as, being able to fish almost 24hrs a day. We fished one night until 2am, and headed in because we were so tired. The sun basically hits the horizon and starts to rise again during the longer days of the year when you are that far north.

Lee Roy
02-16-2010, 08:24 AM
I will be heading up to Wylie Lake on may 29. Looking forward to the trip. Anyone else with anymore info?

Texas Tornado PM me for my phone number if you want to get a hold of me when I get back from the trip.