PDA

View Full Version : Ice Chisels

simmered
01-19-2010, 04:38 PM
Was researching ice augers when I came across these ice chisels. Does anybody carry one of these with them? Just wondering what people use them for.

allenford
01-19-2010, 04:44 PM
I think the people use it for reopen the holes drilled yesterday.

ice
01-19-2010, 04:45 PM
I think the people use it for reopen the holes drilled yesterday.

yeah, an old hatchet is just as effective

Marlin07
01-19-2010, 04:52 PM
I use one to flare out holes when sight fishing, helps me see more. Also helps "funnel" a fish up the hole when on the hook.

WayneChristie
01-19-2010, 06:08 PM
you can use them to do your holes too, augers are just easier. surprising how fast you can cut a hole with a good chisel tho

CeeZee
01-19-2010, 06:32 PM
yes it is surprising! when i was growing up you didnt go to the lake with out one, dad and grandpa always had good home-made ones that would chop really good. They used them alot when they were trapping too, it was alot better than an axe or hatchet as you didnt get shot in the face with ice chunks plus you weren't bent over or kneeling down. I made myself one when i built my hardwall fish shack and made it the same length as what my wholes needed to be apart, and it was a good pry bar for when the shack got a bit froze down.

kinwahkly
01-19-2010, 08:12 PM
Yea, they work great, my buddy bought a brand new one last year and we were up at Spray lake, I decided to grab his chisel wich has never been used and I proceeded to open up an old hole, well as I was banging away it slipped thru my hand and down 75 feet of water, so they work great.

CeeZee
01-19-2010, 08:21 PM
always had a "T" on the top of the handle so if it does go thru too easy unexpectedly it will still stop in your hand.

sco22
01-19-2010, 08:39 PM
I can still remember one of the first times ice fishing with my father in law. "Go chip the holes open" he barked. I took the ice chisel and started away chipping some holes from the previous day. It was cold so I put some gloves on and I was chipping through about 3-4 inches of ice. See, his ice chisel was one of those home made deals and did an excellent job. But it did not have anything to stop it from going down the hole. . .and I was really chipping hard. . .and ppfffttt - blooosh. 25 feet of water and down she went. So for the next 3 hours he fished for whites and I fished for a chisel. I did get it back, but I will never forget the look of both disappointment and disgust in his daughter's choice of a boyfriend/husband.

I saw that look again one summer after trying to take a barbed hook out of a big pike's mouth at the side of the boat, and again when I tipped over a small ice fishing tent in 60 km wind so it sailed across the lake, and again when I mixed up lefty-loosie, rightie-tighty on the camper stabilizer jacks. . .seems to me in total I saw that look about another 20 times over the past 14 years being married to his daughter.

Cheers.

simmered
01-20-2010, 08:58 PM
thanks for the input, I might pick one of those up next time i'm in the city. What does everyone prefer the longer the better or are the shorter ones easier to use?

deanmc
01-20-2010, 09:03 PM
I like to carry mine to test ice on an unknown lake. I am very nervous on early ice or lakes I do not know.

i prefer the long ones . They are heavier so chip better and I hate to bend over. Also gives you something to hold on to if you do step into a muskrat run.

kreator
01-20-2010, 09:06 PM
I can still remember one of the first times ice fishing with my father in law. "Go chip the holes open" he barked. I took the ice chisel and started away chipping some holes from the previous day. It was cold so I put some gloves on and I was chipping through about 3-4 inches of ice. See, his ice chisel was one of those home made deals and did an excellent job. But it did not have anything to stop it from going down the hole. . .and I was really chipping hard. . .and ppfffttt - blooosh. 25 feet of water and down she went. So for the next 3 hours he fished for whites and I fished for a chisel. I did get it back, but I will never forget the look of both disappointment and disgust in his daughter's choice of a boyfriend/husband.

I saw that look again one summer after trying to take a barbed hook out of a big pike's mouth at the side of the boat, and again when I tipped over a small ice fishing tent in 60 km wind so it sailed across the lake, and again when I mixed up lefty-loosie, rightie-tighty on the camper stabilizer jacks. . .seems to me in total I saw that look about another 20 times over the past 14 years being married to his daughter.

Cheers.

Hahaaaa!

kodiakken
01-20-2010, 09:13 PM
sco22 I got those same looks from my father.
He had drilled a hole in the top of the handle of the chisel ran a piece of 1/4" rope with a couple of wooden beads on it. If it got dropped which in his eyes was never suppose to happen it wasn't that hard to fish up gthe beads would float and you could always get the rope.

The funniest was the day The Old Fella dropped it!!!!!!!!!!!

Ken.